[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Good or Bad????

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by CyCloNe, Jul 12, 2002.

1. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Having finally fallen into a consistent training schedule I am looking at an early morning workout that fits inside about a 20 minute window before I go to work.

At the moment, I cycle about 3 miles in a circuit around my local village (Very pleasant way to wake up I may add) and then return home for some simple stretches and a nice warm soak in the bath before jumping in the Cyclone mobile and heading off to work.

Done Mon-Fri will this routine help with the freestyle / kickboxing training?

My main goals (Areas I need a lot of work in):
    Stamina
    Flexibility

My minor goals (Areas I am ok in but need to maintain):
    Speed
    Strength

As ever feedback is appreciated....

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hey Cyclone,

Roadwork mate,

Running is a better full range motion than cycling which can shorten your muscles.

Look at a PNF stretching program, the guys have posted some good links on this site, as well as on the Health and Fitness thread.

Anaerobic work is crucial in preparing for these types of bouts.

Hit the Gym, Hit the Road, and Hit the Bag!

Good Luck

Andy

3. khafra

khafra New Member

I dunno. Running is harder on the joints, and cycling can actually build your quads and calves (I've never seen 3 mile runs do this, just sprints), and increase your vo2 max (stamina) and help your speed, especially if you do intervals, alternate hills and flat, or other such strategies.
    Not that I'd pit my knowledge and expertise against Andy's, but one has to try for a higher post count somehow, doesn't one?

4. Andy Murray

Hi Khafra,

I take on board your comments about joints. Hey I'm no expert, just going from my ancient history is all. I had a chat with Cyclone a while back, and I got the impression he is a big lad. Needing to sculpt, tone and not build up as such.

Sprints are great though, good tip. Sprints on an incline are probably not that stressful to the joints, as there is lee impact involved for the knees.

If you want a higher post count Khafra, break a leg mate. He He.

Andy

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Any impact exercise causes damage to the joints, that includes running, jogging, walking, punching, kicking, and so on. Exercises involving no hard impacts cause less damage, which is why swimming is so good. Not only does it exercise most of the major muscles in the body but it is also gentle enough that your joints are undamaged. Cycling is another, since at no point is there any impact on your legs, they move in a circular motion.

Impact exercises do seem to help with 'toughness' more though, probably because your muscles become used to absorbing the shock of each impact.

6. Andy Murray

HI guys,

well with recent events in mind I'm not going to argue about impact exercises. Still, we can't spend our whole lives wrapped in cotton wool can we?

I just wanted to share a thought on the whole cycling thing though. Thomas Kurz in his book 'Stretching Scientifically' points out that cyclying is a repetitive movement using a very short contraction of muscles. While it is excellent for developing and strengthening, the quads and calves, it can be detrimental to flexibility on the backs of the legs, as it reinforces, the muscles idea of what is a safe muscle length to contract from. I don't consider myself qualified to back up this theory.....anybody else?

Andy

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It may sound a bit daft, but I find running or sprinting up a hill, or steep slope good for strengthing the legs. Depending on the gradient of the hill, it can be a really good workout too. The only problem I find is once I get to the top of the hill I'm too knackered to walk back down again.

8. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Thanks for the feedback and support, top class info as per usual.

I know this sounds a lil silly as Ive only been doing this new routine for the last 4 days but Im finding that my legs are loosening up and my stamina is starting to return.

I take on board the issue with the cycling perhaps loosing the flex I need in my legs but I have been stretching out before and after the trip and I think it is this that is helping the most.

Again, cant thank you enough peeps :D

9. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

As with most things a combination of everything will probably be best. Do a little bit of everything and besides getting you fit, toned, flexible it will feel like less exercise (doing small bits then changing - trick your mind) and you will not get bored of the same repetitive thing.

Also sitting in a low horse stance will strengthen your muscles and you can watch telly at the same time.

Saying a little bit of everything will be best I think that doing a few on day then a different combination another day will do you lots of good. Change distances/ times to work on different apsects - if you can ride for hours without getting tired but can only run short distances then do a shorter, more intense ride and a long, slow run.

A combination of swimming and running in the water is great for general fitness and leg strength without the impact and will also help with your footwork (running in a slippery pool) You can also do a number of different exercises (forwards, backwards, rotating hips, long strides, sprints).

10. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

I would recomend.........

As many Hindu Squats & Hindu Push-ups as you can fit into 20 minutes. Get the technique right first then go as fast as you can.

Indurance, power & flexibility.

Sean

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmmm intresting u know about hindu squats n hindu pushup...
    anyway i personally prefer both... pushup(or cat stretch or Dand) will work out complete back....

matt furey??
    -TkdWarrior-

12. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

Yep! Matt Furey.

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi guys

Some good views so far. A few points from my perspective if I may, speaking with both hats on i.e. Martial Arts Instructor & quaified Fitness Instructor.

1. Yes - Roadwork is WAY better for us MA's than cycling - if it's a choice between the two. You can do both you know! If you're goal is flexibility then IF you cycle you MUST compensate by stretching afterwards.

2. Any conditioning exercise done every day can lead to breakdown. Alternating different exercise protocols would give you a daily conditioning workout whilst minimising wear and tear!

3. Bodyweight conditioning routines like Matt Furey's are excellent (I don't like his neck bridges though) and I use them myself - with good results. By far the best resource I have found in this area is "Scrapper's Workouts" - They go way farther than Matt F's and IMHO seem more concerned with the development of the user and less with making money for the creator. You can find them at...

http://www.trainforstrength.com/index.shtml

4. It is a mistake the over emphasise any one element of the conditioning game. You need to condition all three of the energy production systems ....

• ATP-PC System (Short term, Less than 30 seconds)
    • Anaerobic Glycolysis/Lactic Acid System (Medium term - 30 to 3 minutes )
    • Aerobic Glycolysis/Oxygen System (Over 3 minutes)

* The times above are a guideline only - there is crossover & no such thing as a purely aerobic or anaerobic activity (well, there is but that's unique and not relevant here)

In simple terms you need strength, endurance and a strong aerobic base.

There are crossover benefits in any activity but in general terms, as a "martial athlete" you should look at...

• Weight training (Heavy weights not wussy pink plastic dumbells LOL!)
    • Bodyweight exercises & interval training
    • Steady state cardio (running, cycling, CV machines etc)

I have reearched this area quite well so feel free to ask for more info on any aspect.

Getting back to CyCloNe's original question (phew!) I would recommend (assuming we're talking Monday to Friday and you're already addressing strength training elsewhere) ...

Day 1: Cycle 20 min steady then 5 x 30sec flat out efforts with 1min rest between.
    Day 2: Bodyweight exercises
    Day 3: Cycle 30min nice & easy
    Day 4: Run 20min steady then somen hard & fast intervals, find some steps!
    Day 5: Bodyweight exercises

...... and listen to your body! It knows more than you give it credit for.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2002
  14. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Thanks for the advice Yoda.

I know its some time since you posted this, but its kinda what Ive been doing with some good results. (Ok so I didnt read the date on your post DOH!)

I tried to avoid the roadwork as I used to find great discomfort in my lower back so I stuck with cycling for the first few months and then turned to the road.

Ive been alternating between 20 mins running and 20 mins bodyweight exercise for the last couple of months and Im feeling better than ever. The weight loss is steady (without constantly watching my diet) and the running is almost beginning to be fun.... almost ;)

Ive started taking part in some cardio kickboxing lessons at least twice per week for an hour each time and boy do these take the steam outta ya.

Ive been running through some of my old shadow sparring routines and am almost up to 5 mins constant. If I can break the 5 mins constant, I think I'll be back on track.

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm about running u should check out this site...some great stuff cyclone.. www.runnersworld.co.uk
    -TkdWarrior-

16. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Thanks fella :D