[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Any old guys out there?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by StoneDog, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Old guys

I still fight in the dojo but I limit my competition to kata, weapons, kobudo, self defense and team kata. In 1981 I was ranked 4th in the country in kumite by the AAU. I was sparring with my son last week and he knocked my bridge out of my mouth. Very costly at the dentist. He is 27, 6 feet 2 inches tall, about 170 lbs. and taking Muay Thai. I am 59 yrs. old, 5 feet 9 inches tall and weigh about 160. He hit me with an upper cut. I still get my guys ready for tournaments by sparring with them all and I love it. I was gonna need a new bridge anyway. So what if I am toothless and banged up. I am happy.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

2. timex

timex Valued Member

sparring

am not interested in competition, but am interested in doing more sparring. our regular class does not include sparring, but after class I can find others who will spar,so I hope to do more of this in the future....or find a good mma gym? :eek:

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I hope you sent him to bed with no supper.
    Kids these days :bang:

koyo

4. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

36 on the weekend. feel about 22

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It's not the miles it's the mile age. :D

regards koyo

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I sense something very deep and meaningful here^ but will take some time to come to me. Probably at about 20 years per hour.. :eek:

7. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

35 and apart from my sifu and one other student who are both slightly older than me everyone else is younger by at least 10 years or more :)

i smoke, not the perfect weight but i push myself every single lesson, i can happily say i fair very well against them in everything we do.

my next task is to give up smoking, being as everywhere i go now hardly anyone smokes i think it's about time.

as David said my recovery from hangovers takes way too long compared to how it used to :)

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey dude, do you train with Paul Whitrod by any chance?

9. Slick Al

Slick Al New Member

No Limit

The old saying goes" The older I get the better I was"

I believe that we (Old Guys) are like Oak Trees. We're a little slow and we creek and crack when we move. However, our foundation is solid and to infiltrate that inpenertrable barrier you need to have the intelect and the will power to overcome it.

Don't sell youself short. Your hitting that stage in life when you think that your not the Man you use to be. It's called lack of testosterone and it evens itself out in a few years.

After all of the deliberation and the I feel sorry for myself is over, then it's time to stand down or stand up to the plate.

All of the Karate, Kunfu etc practitioners reach their optimun level from 50 or obove they know what hard work is all about.

Don't follow the path of others. Create your own path and let the others follow you..

10. kingc699

kingc699 Valued Member

Im 31 doing TKD, my flexibility is not that great, but still enjoying it, dont seem to suffer too much, a bit sore the day after, but thats about it.

11. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Lily said I need to post here:

31. I am in better shape now than I have ever been. I am stronger, have more endurance, kept my flexibility up, and pretty much kick the crap out of people younger and older. No complaints. Keep the wife happy too.

Oh, and I got some grey hair. Look like George Clooney.

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Nuck, your thoughts are very revealing.
    ;)

Gary

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Its okay to be jealous :)

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

15. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

well I an can tell you this with age comes exsperience wiche is something younge guys lack. example: old Randy Coulture beat Tim Sylvia

16. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

my o'sensei in my class is probably getting to his sixties and i remember when i first started sparring and grapling i was sparing with him and completely underestimated him and he kicked me right in the chest lol he didnt break anything (he could have i think) but i think he was teaching me a lesson, and i never made that mistake with him again lol

17. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

30 years is old?

Guess someone should have told Chuck Norris when he made is best movies at 40-45 years old?

Or someone should talk to Billy Blanks and tell him to just retire he is 52 and still coming up with cool tae bo and bootcamp dvds.

I am 35 been injured with back pain for six years and it took me a while to find a good chiro to fix me up, in Decembre its going to be a year now that i have been going to see my chiro and i feel so much better, my posture was a mess, i got injured powerlifting heavy squats and deadlifts.

The only thing i can tell you with being 35 is that i feel more pressure to train harder, i want to start Kenpo in January if my rehab is good.

I dont feel like competing anymore i done that when i was younger in TKD and karate, but i still want to bang.

For me Randy Couture is the best exemple 44 and still strong in MMA but Randy eats well and is very active.

18. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Grey hair LOL i use just for men to stay in the game LOL nah i got my gf i just dont feel like having a full head of gray at my young age.