[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Any old guys out there?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by StoneDog, Apr 21, 2005.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Koyo the AkiDo guy May 6, 1938 and AFAIK he still trains and still learns as well as teaches.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Martial arts is the RETENTION of spiritual and physical energy until the moment it is needed.Never stop learning.

regards Koyo

Edit
    remember LOCK and ROLL will never die

Attached Files:

• c3.JPG
      c3.JPG
      File size:
      74.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Crap - Koyo is Obi-Wan Kenobi! :eek:

:p

Man that gives me hope.

4. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Let's keep rockin thru 2007. Don't forget tomorrow night is Chuck/Tito night.
    Happy New Year,
    Sensei Tom

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

tom you got me my DOB 1971, but it is always fun to school the youngsters

6. Tom O'Brien

g-bells(Y-Town) The youngsters keep us young. We still have a few tricks on them.Happy New Year,
    Sensei Tom

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Born 1941, still work out, hit bags and do weapons (of all kinds) jog on the mats and in place, sore shoulder today from doing a lot of elbow work yesterday (Muay Thai). Did my morning workout, deep knees and large circlular arms, push pull, deep breathing, trying to loosen up, noticed it.

Hmmm...Did some real long and slow stretching. Rubbed some Muay Thai boxing liniment (thailand) on my shoulders and covered um up with several shirts to keep warm, Helped...

Regards, Gary

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

bows to his senior in respect :)

9. Mark Cotton

Mark Cotton Valued Member

48 and despite arthritis and other aches and pains i will never stop.

10. Tom O'Brien

Old Guys

Gary, You have 7 yrs. on me. My hat is off to you for hanging in there sore shoulders & all. Mark I have 10 yrs. on you. Love your attitude 'I will never stop.' I will never stop either. Believe it or not I had a great year in 2006. In Sept. won 2 gold medals in an AAU Karate tournament for kata & kobudo. In November I won a 2nd pl. trophy in kata against all ages at the FIMA Fall Classic and last month I won 2 silver medals at an AAU Karate tournament for kata & kobudo. I still fight in the Dojo but I stopped competing in kumite when I turned 55. I let the kids beat their brains in now & I watch.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

11. Mark Cotton

Sesei Tom

I go to the gym and weight train intensely for 45 minutes four times a week, take core karate 4 times a week, submission grapple 2 times a week and I'm going to start kickboxing.

Just bring on the Celebrex.

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Thank you, I am older, but believe me I bow to all who are out there in the trenchs doing the hard work.

I don't do as much as I use to, but I had a great workout today and feel good now.

Tomorrow will be different, but I'll just stretch through it. LOL

I remember 30 years ago working with an older cement finisher and at 6am he smelled like wine, I mentioned it, he said "it was a heart starter". LOL

I don't do that, I use better heart starters, it is there if you need it, I like a shot of tequilla once in awhile. Day or night just "one" though. LOL

Regards, Gary

13. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

My two sons are roadies just a few months ago I was on stage with them blasting out rock and roll on my old stratocaster.Still teaching aikido in the makotokai at the royal Commando marine barracks.
    As Neil Youngs says
    Better to burn out than to fade away. Or as I say you do not die of old age you die of boredom.
    On my headstone it shall read "AWWWW S... IS IT THAT TIME ALREADY???".

regards koyo
    makotokai.co.uk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  14. Tom O'Brien

Hats off

Gary & Mark,

Hats off to both of you gentlemen. Mark good luck with the kick boxing. I love it. You have the best of both striking worlds.
    Gary, I come from 'Hell's Kitchen', O'Brien's Corner was on the corner of 50th St. & 8th Ave. It was a bucket of blood. Iv'e seen my share of starters in my life. The best starter I have right now, believe it or not is with my wife. No not in the sack. We get up & work out at 6am every Fri. You won't believe it but I get the best workout with her. She can run rings around my students. We do a cardio with hundreds of punches & kicks for about 45 mins. non stop & I am wiped out.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

no disrespect intended to those of you that older than me. i see that i'm quite younger than most of you and i applaud you all for having the right attitude. even though i'm younger than you all i feel all sorts of aches and pains from years of football,baseball, and 15 years of dinch digging but i continue to press forward and acknowledge you as inspiration :)

16. Mark Cotton

Well, since this last post I started taking Celebrex. It's great except if you submission grapple, which I do 2 times a week. After that I still hurt and I have black and blues but I will just keep doing it. I have no intentions of stopping. You know it's funny...the younger people in the school get more winded than me in the core classes. In the grappling they will let up before I do. I guess that's an age thing.

What about you older guys? Any comments to this?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  17. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

I am 52. I do BJJ 3 times per week and wt train 2-3 times per week. I do get soreness frequently but have a hot tub which I jump in for 10-15 minutes after I train. I take an occassional Nambutone or Celebrex, but regularly take glucosamine and creatine. It would be nice to have a 30 year old body again but life goes on. As one of the characters in my grandaughters favorite movie Finding Nemo says: "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  18. Qi Fu

Qi Fu New Member

Hey, I'll be 62 next month. I know where your coming from on pain. Fifteen years ago I was there to. Today I am pain free. Not that I still can't find old injuries. I had tennis elbow so bad back then that I couldn't even lift five pounds. I knew something was wrong, I'd worked out all my life, I started in martial arts when I was fifteen and believed in it health benifits. But! Then the only answers I was left with were pain pills and anti-inflamatories. I needed change bad. I changed my work out. I eliminate all ending motion forms and replaced them with one that had an eight type of configuration. When I did these forms my extended joints and tennis elbow would stop hurting, but only for a short time. When I repeated the exercises it would go away again. That was a long time ago. I have sense found out the why's of it. There are many forms that use similiar movements. One of them is the chinese old snake forms that were reknow for there healing abilities thousands of years ago. But very little was ever explained about these healing abilities, so I had to start from scatch and figure out what exactly was happening. I hope this little bit might help.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  19. Qi Fu

Qi Fu New Member

Hi! I like your stories. Sure we're not young anymore but it dosen't mean we don't know more. I enjoy teaching self defense to k-to 12 students. Its quite a challenge. They usaually have short attention spans and get bored easy. But when they learn something it sticks. I started studing martiial arts over forty-five years ago, and have learned many short cuts to focus, chi, and blocks. And I enjoy seeing their amazment when they learn them. But I teach them only healthy forms, to improve their lives.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  20. Mark Cotton

Qi Fu

i think i missed the explanation. are you saying you just don't extend the joint fully as say a lock-out position? and what about kicks?