freestyle rocks!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by totality, Mar 10, 2004.

1. totality

totality New Member

tonight was my first night of freestyle wrestling, and it needs to be said...freestyle owns folkstyle. i've been wrestling folkstyle for awhile now, and i've never had this much fun.

folkstyle is a lot better for working on ground control, which is great for your G'n'P game, but...c'mon, it's kind of boring when compared to the shiznit that is freestyle.

now, all of you go try freestyle right now, you don't need to be on the internet. or, um...share your opinions, or something.

2. NorwoodBloke

NorwoodBloke New Member

freestyle wrestling

I know that I shouldn't think this,
    because I should respect the skills,
    and not believe the negative hype,
    but...

When I hear freestyle wrestling I think:
    Steroids
    Weight cutting
    Shoot take downs
    Lay and pray
    Can't fight from back
    No finishes
    Judges decisions
    (Like Randleman or Sean Sherk et al.)

That said, they are the best at what they do.
    And I'm sure you'll have some great training.
    Have fun :)

3. totality

totality New Member

well, freestyle wasn't exactly designed for mma competition...
    Steroids-maybe. but it happens in all sports.
    Weight cutting-yes, along with almost any other sport with weight divisions...
    Shoot take downs-what do you have against shooting?
    Lay and pray-not if you're also the #2 beginner 140 pounder in north america. ;)
    Can't fight from back-that would be why i also train submission grappling...
    No finishes-if you try to use just freestyle, yeah...i'd like you to meet my friend "cross-training." welcome to 1990.
    Judges decisions-you forgot matt hughes, randy couture, etc...great fighters who can and do finish fghts.
    (Like Randleman or Sean Sherk et al.)

That said, they are the best at what they do.
    And I'm sure you'll have some great training.
    Have fun :)
    thanks! :D

4. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Man, I wouldn't pigeonhole Sherk like that. His Jiu Jitsu is good, his wrestling is great, he is very well rounded, and has been making quite an impression in Pride Bushido as of late. Randleman hasn't changed his game since '98.

5. NorwoodBloke

NorwoodBloke New Member

Have I misjudged Mr Sherk?
    I haven't seen that much of his stuff, but I was under the impression that what I had seen represented his style pretty well.
    He does have a hell of a lot of judges decisions on his record, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily make him a dull fighter....