Freestyle Judo or Kyokushin? Only one...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Brandon Miller, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller New Member

Hello,

I’m new to the forum and I’m having a tough time choosing a martial art. I’m currently 32, decently athletic, have a football and competitive mma and Amatuer boxing background. I’m 6’3” 220lbs. There is a Kyokushin school about 10 miles away from me www.Dallaskyokushin.com also there is a freestyle judo school called the Judokai about 15 miles from me www.judokai.net I plan on taking journeys in both arts before I die but due to budget I can only start a journey in one for now. Which one should I choose and why?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Well, bot are full-contact martial arts with a focus on hard sparring, but one will address grappling and the other striking, so I guess if you've narrowed it down to both it's entirely down to which you want to focus more on in the short term.

Both are probably great fun, but why not go for a trial class at both and see which group you get on better with?

axelb, Smaug97 and Frodocious like this.
  3. shotokanAikiJujistu

shotokanAikiJujistu New Member

Yeah i suggest get a feel for both schools most allow a free week sometimes even a month or atleast few classes free see if you like the coach ,sensei ,master or what ever they prefer to be called .
    I would also make sure its the kinda people maybe you think you can find a brotherhood in and maybe even be good at I am a strong believer in there are so many martial arts one can truly find a style that fits you best also location and schedule mean a lot imho .I do judo bjj/nogi and aikido and i may start kick boxing again on one my free days .....I only have one or two free days in my week and I was getting that old feeling turning 40 this may and decided the only way to get healthy is to do what I love and that is martial arts

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's worth remembering that Kyokushin will also teach a number of kata, in addition to the normal tough training and hard sparring. Now, I love me some Kyokushin, and I happen to like doing kata too, so for me it wouldn't be an issue; but if you don't like the idea of spending some of your training time on kata, then you'd be best avoiding Kyokushin and going for the Judo instead.

The judo club looks like some sort of grappler's paradise, with the main styles covered and links to MMA.

Looks like a good choice to have to make! Go visit and see, then let us know what you pick :)

5. Brandon Miller

Yeah it’s a tough one. The freestyle Judo school is like a school with an old school Judo approach avoiding the new IJF rules and what not. It looks like Bjj, wrestling and judo blended together. $225 quarterly so around $75 a month no contracts with three classes per week and they host there own freestyle Judo Competitions. The Kyokushin gym they train at a Dance studio and it’s $80 a month with only two classes a week. The kyokushin school has been around for about a year the Judo place has been around since 2005 I believe.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

All things being equal, go freestyle judo, the amount of experience on the mat means you'll be surrounded by people who know what their doing, plus its more likily to be there this time next year.

But try both and see what you enjoy.

7. Brandon Miller

I tried kyokushin already. I like it I just don’t like kata stuff. I can see myself enjoying Judo a lot more and it just seems practical. I’m not a bad striker as it is. Grappling is definitely my weakness but grappling is something I really enjoy despite it being my weakness. I love the freestyle judo format. It’s basically all out grappling no bs ijf rules. I kinda see it as the best of all worlds grappling wise for mma

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

Try judo then, if you also enjoy it.... Go for it!

Warning judo is really hard on the body!

9. Brandon Miller

What do you mean more likely to be there next year this time?

10. Brandon Miller

What’s harder on the body kyokushin or judo?

11. Dead_pool

They're both hard in different ways.

You literally can't decide this way, it's like dating, the only real way is to go and visit them in person.

12. Dead_pool

Gyms pop up and go out of business quite often, ones that's been around a few years, are more likely to stay open.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Personally I think judo is, but that may just be that I'm less used to it. I really liked it on the few occasions I did it, but the constant impacts from throws take a toll in the way a few bruises from sparring don't.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Brandon Miller

I’m going with freestyle judo because I’m going to get back into mma. Gonna do some boxing again and put it together. I’ll be doing freestyle judo three times a week and boxing three times a week. Already have my strength and condition dialed in. I haven’t competed in 10 years but darn it you only live once....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
  15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Hi Brandon, please remember that swearing is against the rules on MAP. Thank you for your future co-operation with this policy.