Free GJJ 10 day course

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Smitfire, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anyone else doing the free Gracie Jiu Jitsu 10 day self defence course on Commune?
    It's the latest course put out by Ryron and Rener Gracie.
    I have my reservations about a grappling centric focus for self defence (it has its place of course) but as always with the Gracie brother's content it's very well presented, well laid out in progressive stages and great on details and finer points, safety, etc.
    Basic structure so far is excellent with some warm up drills to start (pertinent to the technique), basic technique, solo drilling, partner drilling, variations and fight simulation.
    If anything I'd say it's going to be a good course on basic positional BJJ for anyone looking to add some grappling to what they already do or someone who's a striker who'd like to understand this "ground fighting" everyone keeps going on about.
    First couple of lessons have been "trap and roll" mount escape and "maintaining the mount position".
    As far as I know it's free at the moment (although I signed up before it started) but then will go to paid content after the 10 day course is up (after which I'm expecting some strong attempts to get me to pay to sign up to commune).

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Gracie academy has some great bjj and some terrible buisness practices, make sure you cancel it in time!

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah I like the way they've adapted things to be workable in a SD situation
    You have to switch on your "American over enthusiasm filter" with those guys, but the content is solid

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't worry...they don't have any financial details. :)

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Also managed to hook up with a guy at my TKD club who's also doing Gracie Barra jiu jitsu so we can go over the material every couple of days. I somehow got a BJJ blue belt many moons ago but haven't actually grappled in years so it's all very rusty.

axelb, Dunc and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

I know how you feel, lockdown cobwebs are hard to shake, although some people feel suprisingly good!

Iirc the Gracie Barra intro material, should be pretty similar to the GA SD work, just less of it, I semi regular train with a brown belt who's originally from GA, and they're great!

axelb likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

They'll have some amazingly American deals for you then, if you sign up now, get a free hoody worth 99 dollars and a years membership (worth 1299 dollars, all for only 599 dollars, that's right, you get 800 dollars off, that's over 50% off, but hurry we only have 2 places left!!!!!

Haha

axelb likes this.
  8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

'merica

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It ain't just lockdown cobwebs...my lack of grappling goes back way longer than that!
    Anyway...content so far is great.
    Although it's not really "10 lessons". It's 10 days worth of free content but there's more released in a day than you can realistically watch and drill before the next lesson comes out. There's at least an hour or more worth of videos per day. So I'm making lots of notes. :)
    Today's lesson is looking at that the front body-lock clinch the Gracie's love so much and 3/4 takedown options for there.
    My mate came over last night and we drilled some stuff in my matted garage. It's not big enough to really "roll" so we just went through things technically. Hand placement, hips, posture, etc. It helps we both have some BJJ experience. No idea how someone completely green would manage it.
    It was VERY odd to be so close to someone in a grappling context.

Dead_pool likes this.