Freddie Modern Kung Fu

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pmosiun, Oct 13, 2010.

1. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

2. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

looks like an more ineffective version of Wing Chun IMO

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

only in America LOL!!!

powchoy

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

5. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

There are compliant training partners and then there are Freddies-Wax-Dummies.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahah..."Spiritual: Level 3 Black (Elite)".
    How the hell does he judge something as nebulous as a "spiritual level".

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

By their mana points :)

8. Killa_Gorillas

Isn't that an oxymoron? :hat:

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's not horrible. But it's also nothing I would expect from someone claiming to teach. When he spars, he reaches out to tag every incoming kick or hit, like he's wearing a focus mitt. I used to do the same thing. And it came from a sense that I needed to be doing something despite being too far away for any of those hits to pose a real threat to me. And I was too far away because, at the end of the day, I didn't want to engage properly in the match. I get that same sense of trepidation from watching these guys. Single and half-heartedly double attacks, thrown with an almost cooperative back-and-forth rhythm, with no sense of anyone trying to impose a game plan.

(Yeah, yeah. I know. They're "flowing like water" and a game plan would only stifle their creativity. But seriously, you're not unique snowflakes. You're fighters. Get a plan. And impose it.)

Then there was that "White Dragon" technique video. Became pretty clear that he was mostly just waving his arms about and posturing. You get these halting little moments where he's deciding what to do next, followed by combinations and techniques that quite clearly don't come from a traditional set (despite the silk jammies).

I think the guy is physically talented. But he's jumped the gun on this teaching thing. When he's ready to devote more energy to teaching and training than he is to emulating Lee, I think he'll be quite good.

Stuart

10. Killa_Gorillas

It's just movie fu. Lots of posturing little to zero substance.

11. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zholNd0h0Ws&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - FMK: Wing Chun in the MMA (Existential Martial Art Philosophy)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lNQgblnBc"]YouTube - FMK: MMA the Stupidest Sport Ever Created (Existential Martial Art Philosophy)[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

His fitness displays were pretty impressive....everthing else was "meh"