found a intresting mma school

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Kenpo Kicker, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of Elite Martial Arts also called em3 I guess.

They don't do forms which I like. They have some intresting styles that they teach. They say it is street fighting and nhb based.

they have boxing, muay thai kicks, grappling and submissions from ju-jistsu, hand to hand techniques from small circle ju jitsu and israeli military, stick/knife defense and fighting from modern arnis, and pressure point fighting from kyusho jitsu.

Let me know based on this info if you think this is good stuff to learn. It sounds very intresting. I am gonna poke more questions at them.

There web page is www.elitemartialarts.org It just opened up right near me. The rate is a bit high for me, so I will have to make sure they teach what I want to learn. 90 bucks is pretty high. I will at least try it I think.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Check out a few classes, and ask some questions. The site states that the core of their adult curriculum is TKD, so make sure the aren't just a TKD school that learned their grappling via videotape.

Some schools that also offer "grappling" only teach it once you have reached a particular level in their main art. If there is a grappling instructor, ask about his lineage, and do some research.

Find out about any hidden charges, such as special equipment or frequent and expensive belt tests.

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Yeah, the belts better not cost much and gear. I guess they start off with muay thai. kinda sux tkd is it's core I didn't see that. I already take tkd.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I would say its a few people with experience in a few arts

Doing cross training - could be wrong and worth a look.

Guess its a Kickboxer/TKD guy
    Arnis and Krav Maga guy
    And a Jujitsu guy

Or perhaps one guy who has done some of them all - not so sure but it looks more cross training than out and out NHB/MMA stuff.

Could well be good though and let us know.

5. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

It does sound more like cross-training to me as well. I am cross-training and just need a freaking kenpo dojo (i'm rusty and want to teach it legitly) to be a better maist :( . He mentioned ufc when I first talked to him asking me if I knew about it. I asked him you use the mma gloves? He said only the instructors do. Seems like their sparring is too restrictive for me. I don't want to be a instructor just to do stand up and ground sparring. The other problem is the dojang? is too small for me to train in (I am sure they will have to relocate soon so the it being 2 min away from me will go out the door in the future). I will take the free lession he offered and watch and see what they are doing. I doubt I will join it though. I have mma sparring partners anyways. I think it may be a waste of my time and money if I go but I could be wrong. I also am not gonna turn down free lession :) . The guy was a nice guy. I think he knew all these arts /shrug. I looked up the arts and will ask him further questions. The pressure point fighting strikes my intrest the most. The belts looked like tkd belts and they wore red and black gi's. Maybe it is their way of fixing tkd /shrug. Something I may open up but would not call it mma. It may very well be a great school. I am not intrested in two tkd dojangs though /lol .

Honestly what I want to teach is tkd/kenpo/jj based cross-trained ma with no tradition. I can get the tkd and jj at my tkd school. The jj is not set up yet, so I don't know if I can get ranks in it. I plan on moving with the tkd/jj knowledge and opening up a school where there is no tkd and has kenpo. I will then take kenpo from there and integrate it in my tkd/jj. If the jj don't work out kenpo has it already in the system. Really does suck that there is no kenpo here. I told my mother told my sensi's wife that they should open up a kenpo dojo over here since there is none. I think he would get great business.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  6. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Well good news from my dojang. We are getting are weapons instructor back and the jj guy remembered me from the seminar and will be teaching us trad jj with belts and everything woot. This is good enough for me to learn right now.The weapons instructor is a filipino arts/tkd guy that teaches knife and stick fighting and comes from the ghetto and has experience (I know the guy and where he is from :) ). Thats what tkd schools should be doing imo :) . Great school for me. I just need to add the kenpo in later on. I been thinking of getting videos of my old sensi brush up then go see him in cali to work on my kenpo until I move. That is all I can do for the kenpo :( .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  7. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Nice give us the run down when you go

though.

Cheers

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I will if I go. I sort of decided not to go to the school. I am thinking of trying it out and watching though. I am happy with my dojangs punching and kicking techniques. Was very happy to see the jj instructor and he will be teaching :). So at my dojang I will be learning jj(from jj belt system) filipino stick and knife fighting, kickboxing, some jkd concepts (no legit teacher just read the book and apply I do the same on my own tao of jeet kune do of course) and very well taught tkd. That is plenty for me to learn and no real big gaps with the ground fighting added. I just need a little kenpo (twiches).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004