Fornication. Is it morally wrong???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Ok I didn't start this thread to start a debate. (oh and Im going to return to the thread we were deabting in to debate philosoraptor and answer questions later I've been busy) Just have an inellectual dialogue about this issue. I honestly don't have an opinion on this, so I wanted to hear what everyone else had to say about it from their perspective.

Now for quite a while I have made the decision for religious reasons to wait it out until I get married. Im not a virgin, but I'm not a modern day Casanova either. Although I've had my glorious moments, nothing really to brag and act all macho about.

But I've done some deep thinking on the subject of fornincation. In the bible it is morally wrong, But do you think that type of thinking is out dated.

The reason I ask is because back in those days there was no protection against disease, pregnancy, etc. Back then, fornication, or adultery could lead a tribe to not know who the real father was of the children. And imagine how things like that happening could affect a tribe of people. Fir example, since men had to go out and do macho stuff, like hunt for food while the women stayed home and cared for the children. Just imagine if she didn't know who the father was. She wouldn't have a PROVIDER, or HUNTER GATHERER to bring home the bacon and feed her as well as the children. Now, this isn't the only thing that could happen. Alot of things could happen which would cause complete chaos. Which is why Adulterers and fornicators were stoned in the OT. It wasn't just about morality. BUT .....................Now things have advanced.

One could argue, well, most men desire a virgin, and prefer to not have to share their woman with other men. I guess men are sort of naturally territorial when it comes to the woman they settle down with. But no man can really expect a woman to do something he won't do. If he expects the women around him to be virgins, he should hold himself to the same standard. after all, if it is wrong for a woman, it is wrong for a man too I suppose.

On the other hand a man may be ok with it, and would prefer to enjoy his life with various women, and he doesn't want to be a complete hypocrite, so he doesn't mind that the woman he settles down with also has a past. So he sort of trades that secret virgin fantasy, for the chance to enjoy himself with other women before he settles down.

On the other hand, I don't know how it is for women, but it can be pretty awkward for a man, if he ends up unintentionally meeting or running into one of the woman he settles down with, her past lover or lovers. That can make a guy feel pretty bad. But hey, he made the trade off. And if a guy or woman chooses to live their life like that, and they don't mind the consequences of their choices, who is anyone to judge them for making that decision.

So I ask, the board. Do you think it is morally wrong to fornicate or have relations before marriage. Why or why not? This is not a yes or no question.

To tell the truth, I don't have an opinion I am not entirely sure. I mean yeah, I believe in the bible, but as society advances things CAN change. I'm not saying things have changed and it's no longer considered sin, that's if you believe in the bible. But who knows?

Oh, and this is not a YES or NO question. If you feel it is morally wrong, state your reasons. If you don't state your reasons.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Nope. Have fun, be kind, stay safe.

3. 8limbs38112

Could you tell me why you feel this way. And let's be mature about his. lol. This thread can turn to a comedy show and I don't really want that to happen.

4. philosoraptor

Have fun, be kind, stay safe are extremely mature principles for conducting your sex life. Human beings are, in general and when left to their own devices, a serially monogamous species. Structures such as the shape of the penis and the volume of ejaculate that a male emits are adapted for this method of reproduction. As long as no one is hurt or harmed by a sexual encounter, it's all good.

5. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

I think having a romantic relationship really adds a lot to your life. Including the fornication part. But in my opinion that shouldn't be your only goal. Otherwise you're going to end up having nothing but shallow relationships. If your goal is marriage or not it's your own personal choice that I won't judge. The only thing I think is a bad idea is sleeping around with strangers.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. philosoraptor

Not if you wrap it up and get tested on a regular basis.

7. 8limbs38112

Hmmm you seem to be talking about the human biology and shape of our organs. How that relates to humans being monogamous I don't know. I wish you would elaborate. You don't have to if you don't want to. But I'm beginning to find science more interesting, as I realize how it plays a part in helping me understand the world and see the big picture when it comes to this thing called life. If you know what i mean.

But you may have to lay it out in laymans terms in order for me to understand. I don't really speak the language scientific mumbo jumbe.

8. TwirlinMerlin

That's cool. Me personally, I've had much more rewarding relationships when you get to know someone and develop a real bond.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

fornication, give it a go!

10. 8limbs38112

Ok I see where this thread is going. No one wants to explain theirself, Maybe this is from a fear that we will come to the conclusion that it is morally wrong. Maybe people are being intellectually lazy. Whatever it is. I think I made this thread in vain. Even though the topic is very interesting.

11. 8limbs38112

Ill just wait and see what happens. It either gets real quiet or turns into a deep discussion. Well see.

12. TwirlinMerlin

This! I'm putting this on t-shirts and sending them to my relatives for Christmas.

13. 8limbs38112

Maybe it was a mistake to start this thread. This can be a very uncomfortable topic.

14. TwirlinMerlin

Sorry, I do see what you're saying about why the biblical outlook on fornication was that way back in the day. Spreading disease and having children you had no intention of supporting is just bad news. But nowadays you have precautions you can take. I say if you're not hurting anyone and you're being responsible then do what you want.

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Thread locked pending mod discussion.

I would like to remind OP that this is a family friendly martial arts forum. Yes, we have an off topic area, but starting an entire thread on "fornication" does not strike me as family friendly. Certainly there has to be other forums better suited to this sort of topic?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

While there is nothing wrong with this thread we can already see which direction it's going to take, so before it ends in something foolish the MOD Team are happy that it remains closed.

Our off topic area is vibrant and does add to MAP, but we are a martial arts discussion forum first and foremost and that is what we should be known for.

8limbs, maybe you should be asking these questions on a religious, moral and ethics based website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.