Formally accredited martial arts instructors, a bit of background please?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vanir, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Just wanted a bit of a general guideline, mostly for the newbs and as an interesting topic in itself.
    Let's give a pragmatic flavour to martial arts signage and training halls. Are we learning advanced philosophy from theologans and published entertainers?
    Are we learning physics from rocket scientists?
    Are we learning sociology from accredited anthropologists and employed psychologists?
    Are we learning history from palaeoanthropologists, archaeologists and accredited academics?

What of all those elements which martial arts philosophies and training breeches? Or some proponents claim it to.

What are some of the employment backgrounds and accreditations other than a martial arts club ranking, of some of the formal dojo instructors at the site, in one place for reference and topic discussion, in this thread?

Some of you are Police Officers, have degrees, let's hear it and ask questions but also get an idea of whom we are learning from. Perhaps an idea of what in a total sense, we are learning at our local dojos.

How many of you are thugs? For example.
    Hey, not trying to be controversial, but parents want to know. And a site like this...well I've been sending people here to find out more about the martial arts world, for one.

A mention of the dojo under your instruction and a skeletal, personal resume I thought would be an excellent and informative topic thread to examine an overview.
    Just post something typical of your dojo information pamphlet like:

(fictional example)
    Sensei Bob Robbie.
    5th Dan Gojukai Karate
    Seargant, Victorian Police.
    5yr term Army Aviation regiment, ranked Lieutenant.
    Degrees in electrical engineering and military intelligence.
    Currently piloting the police helicopter and running the local Gojukai karate school.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Why not just post something like:

Sensei Bob Robbie
    5th Dan Gojukai Karate
    Licensed Gojukai Karate Instructor (British Karate Instructor)

After all, your current and previous careers have little weighting on your ability to teach martial arts, unless you were a professional cage fighter. You might want to include something about a clean police record (if applicable ;) ) But to be honest, I think the best advice is to keep it simple.

If you feel more information is necessary, then a short life history could be given too, but to list your careers with your martial arts qualifications is (in my opinion) not the way to go.

3. bambeer

bambeer Whatareyoudoingrightnow

You wouldn't take medical nor law advice over the internet, nor should you for martial arts.

Everything we read on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt and that includes "teachers " on this or any other martial arts site.

If a teacher can't work with you personally and in person, then they can't really help you at all.

-cheers

bambeer

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice idea Vanir...

Here's a thought or two:
    (1) One of the advantages of belonging to a "big" organization is that people can go to the main website and find contact number to call and check out a person. We, for example, belong to the ICHF (and the ITA)... anyone can contact the HQ (through listings at www.ichf.com) and talk to the Grandmaster and ask about us. We disply our dan certificates and people can call and check on us as well as find out if we do a lot of seminars and so on. Having that backup can be a good thing compared to someone who holds no "formal" rank or isn't a member of credible organization. Also, within our organization, you need to get "instructor certification" through the ICHF and need to be appointed to your instructor duties by the master... after quite a period of interning!

(2) We provide a fairly detailed biography of the master instructor and the two senior instructors... and give a verbal background of those and other black belts at the school to anyone new that comes in. We don't hide anything!

(3) We have a nice open area with comfy chairs that gives clear and open access to the training floor. Anyone who is interested can come in and see what we do and can try us out for a few lessons before committing time or money. I think that open attitude lets people evaluate you as well.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I like your setup Thomas. Very open with nothing ot hide.

6. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I am working on a website at the moment for my training to include more detail.

Away from training I am the Director of a Recruitment Business dealing in a number of key area. I do not have a criminal record and am I think fairly easy going.

I train and teach in Ipswich Suffolk UK and think for me its best to have my students talk for me some of which post here - Timmy Boy, Randal & BreakDog.

Background for the class I teach are: Based in East Anglia's top rank gym and health club with excellent surroundings in a private room so we can train to a comfortable level without prying eyes or disturbing the normal gym members.

We have an area with mats and good protective gear covering elements of RBSD, MMA and other traditional and sporting styles.

We have people from many different styles, medallists and winners from Kickboxing, Kung-Fu, Submission Grappling and Sombo. We all share techniques in a warm English speaking environment which maintains a realism designed to suit and gently push and test each individuals experience level.

The class has a youngest regular student of 13 and our oldest is 31 also welcoming and having males and females in attend.