For those with chronic pain....

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by KellyOwens, May 2, 2006.

1. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

How do you all cope in regards to daily life and training?

For my entire adult life I've avoided pain meds, cold formulas etc...I've always just "toughed it out". Since developing autoimmune disease I feel like I have a drug store in my bathroom cupboard :rolleyes: !

For the first year I avoided all medication. At some point though I realized that my stubborness was causing my family to suffer. Obviously chronic pain, no sleep and refusal of needed replacement hormones (the female variety, I was on hormones part of that time for my thyroid) was affecting my ability to function...to say the least.

I really dislike being on meds but it has gone a long way in giving me back some semblence of life :love: .

I am considering switching my pain meds though (I'm on prescription doses of OTC Aleve or Advil with my dr's permission). I'm not sure which direction to go. I get stomache irritation with my current regime and I have significant break through pain at times. My dr recommended Mobic but the side effects weren't worth it (I never did get any pain relief while using it...apparently it can take up to 3 months :eek: ). I've been leery to ask him for anything else since :p .

Anyone get relief from something specifically? I'd appreciate suggestions. I've found that people's recommendations based on experience are far more accurate than my dr's opinion which is influenced by the pharmaceutical company rep who took him out to the nicest restaurant for lunch :rolleyes: . :D

Kelly

2. Novembers Paul

Novembers Paul New Member

Hey Kelly,

My chronic pain caused me to lose mass amounts of sleep, and made it impossible to function daily, so I stated using Vicodin. Taking it during the day made it difficult to think, and use my mind clearly, so I decided to ONLY use it at night before bed, to help settle the pain, to get rest. As time went on, I found the normal dose no longer worked, so I upped the amount I was taking. I've read that if you need Vicodin for actual pain, then you cannot become addicted to the pills. Well, that's a complete myth. I've been taking the pain meds for over 5 years now, nightly, and If I don't take the meds, my body starts to withdraw, and hurt even more. It's an ugly cycle as I now take 6 pills at a time, and the doctor knows this helps with the pain, so the addiction is something we need to look past for now. I hate it. Also, Vicodin causes Insomnia, so I add a sleeping aid at night as well. I was taking Ambien, now Lunesta.

Now, on a positive note, I was given the name of man from my instructor, who is a natural holistic healer. I was really skeptical, as I'm very much into proof, and not so much faith in something. Believe me, I'm not a nut, far from it. My wife went with me the first time, and after walking in the front door, I thought "wow, did I just waste my time coming here." I went in, and laid on the message table, and he started to work on my back. I then asked him what he had in his hand that he was shocking me with, because it felt like a ball of electricity he was pushing around. My wife confirmed he had nothing in his hands. It is not like anything I have ever felt before. I went to him for about 6 months. He would perform deep tissue body work, and finish with 30 minutes of acupuncture, and for 2 days following the appointments, I felt like a new man. I'm not sure where you live, but he's in Chicago. His name is John Northage and he and his wife run The Chicago Center for Psychophysical Healing. I would never recommend something like this if I didn't achieve actual results myself. Maybe if you're too far to see him, they might be able to point you to someone in your area, or tell you what to look for. It's worth a shot, just for even some relief!

3. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

I take Lunesta also (do you get the "aftertaste"? Ya gotta love that :D :rolleyes: ).

That's fantastic you've found something that has helped and doesn't kill your liver in the process :love: . I appreciate the information. I'm in central Michigan but will look into it (I've never heard of psychophysical healing...very interesting!!). Having herbs and nutrition as a hobby for the last 7 years I'm not opposed to alternative therapies in the least :) . I'm with you though, I like proof :D .

There is a naturopathic dr in Detroit (about 3 hours from where I live) that I'm considering (it's the financial end of things that's hanging me up currently).

It's amazing how much advocating we have to do for ourselves. I've found that very few people with AI disease are receiving adequate treatment from their drs; it's really sad!

That's interesting about the vicoden. I wasn't aware that it was possible to build up a tolerance and have to take more. Ack! It's just so frustrating...I don't blame you for hating it.

I think one of the worst parts is that having the condition consumes your life because of physical inability yet once you finally have semblence of function back it's the treatment that begins to eat away at you...it's neverending it seems.

LOL, that sounds so doom and gloom...sorry :D ! I do believe there is hope and some good lessons to be learned as we persevere.

Kelly

4. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Kelly,

Where do you live in Michigan? I used to live in Owosso, which is about halfway between Flint and Lansing.

Have you considered Melatonin and MSM? Melatonin supposedly helps you sleep. MSM is included in a lot of arthritis natural remedies because it is a natural pain killer.

5. Novembers Paul

Novembers Paul New Member

YES, horrible! Nothing you eat or drink the next day tastes right.

Doom and gloom are my specialties. :)
    www.novembersdoom.com

6. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey New Learner! I live in Gladwin County; it's about 2 hours north of Flint In the Midland, Clare, Mt. Pleasant area.

Thank you for the supplement suggestions!!

Kelly

7. darylbubba

darylbubba New Member

Melatonin is a natural hormone that is produced in the absence of light. Thus, at night your body produces Melatonin and you get sleepy. They say that you would not be able to sleep at all if you had no melatonin. But as you age your Melatonin production lessens. I have heard that this is not true, but the fact remains that Melatonin suppliment helps with sleep. I toss and trun for hours without it.
    I also take Valerian sometimes for sleep. It is a very mild natural tranqualizer. Melatonin with Valarian is a great sleep aid.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  8. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

I take Methocarbomol for my back. Tylenol with Arthitis, Naproxen, and acetameniphen for my other joint problems. That not along with what I take for PTSD, depression and anxiety.

It is hard. I know, it is. I know it is hard for everyone, otherwise you would not be disabled. It is the overcoming to the best of your ability and continuing on that is the the great part.

See, I might get flamed a bit from the non impaired for this. But I believe that those of us with set backs understand the "Meaning" and the "Way" of the martial arts because it does come a bit harder for us.