for those who watch The Walking dead

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by roninmaster, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Are you all watching the last part of the season? What do you think?

Overall, I've really enjoyed it. I was pretty bored with the second series, I didn't even finish it, S3 has been grrrrrrreat though.

Shame about Axel getting shot - I thought he was quite an interesting character. The new survivors will hopefully bring something to the programme.

I hope S3 of Game of Thrones will be as good.

We're a week behind here...so keep up with them spoilers tag things please!

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I have enjoyed this leg of the season quite a bit. The last episode featuring a return of a character from the first season was a big surprise.

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

The start of Season 3 was quite promising, but the last few episodes were beyond crap, the finale a disappointment. If it continues to spiral downhill I might just stop watching.

The way Merle died in the previous episode was crappy.

The way the governor just stood and shot all of his people and no one did anything... No one fought back?

4. Bozza Bostik

Merle's one of one of my favourite characters. I didn't buy his death at all.

5. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Holy hell it's WD night and I forgot to watch it! NOOOO! I wanna sleep but it's WD night. I don't know what to do?!

[Stay tuned for the conclusion of John's crisis.]

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Generally pretty well paced finale, but ultimately unsatisfying.
    Predicted Andreas death, but not in that manner. Carl shooting the kid in the face was the only real shock

Clearly set up to lead us to season 4 which i now have to wait until damn October for!!

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I enjoyed it. I figured Andrea's time was up. On any other show, she would have been rescued. They pulled off her departure well. Carl is a stone cold killer now. I did see that part coming. I will miss the drama that Merle added.

Cheers....

8. John R. Gambit

I decided to watch it semi-rested just now. So freaking good!

I'm surprised by these reactions. I loved the conclusion to the season. I thought the last two episodes were exceptional, particularly the finale.

Carl did exactly what I would've done. You don't hand off a rifle, you drop it on the ground, unless you're stupid or planning to fight back. I would have shot him with the only silenced weapon before someone else had the chance to discharge and reveal their position.

Merles actions were consistent with his character. He did it to protect his little brother, something he always attempted in his own misguided way.

And the governor reveal? Well played I say. People didn't fight back because they were in a state of group shock. It's not as unbelievable as people seem to think it is when those with insufficient training panic in the face of adrenal stress and lose the initiative. Those were the soft, squishy ones who had been protected the rest of the show, remember.

And come on, we KNEW it was gonna end on a cliffhanger. I thought it would be the whole Andrea thing would go unresolved, but thankfully not.

9. CrowZer0

I think the whole think with Carl was to show that he did something wrong, Hershel wasn't happy about it, the kid who got shot genuinely did look scared, and was putting his gun down. I think the plot device here was to start Carl on a downward spiral down a dark road.

I could get more into Merle but I won't, my issue with Merle ending was how easy it was for the governor (an accountant) to overcome Merle a tough/army guy. He made Merle look like nothing, the governor didn't even get hit, Merle should have gone down with more of a fight.

The governor thing was weird on more than one level, one the why? It made no sense other than to push the plot forward and the easy way for Rick and the people at Woodberry to unite, and Martinez and the other henchmen, they decided to still blindly follow the governor?

Andrea was gone from the start of the season, but what cliffhanger do you refer to? I found the whole thing very anti-climatic.

10. Bozza Bostik

Totally agree...as I said, didn't buy it. Nothing to do with the consistency of the character and his relationship with his brother. I would have even preferred a more clichéd death...Merle giving the Gov a good kicking and the Gov pulling a knife from his boot...or something. Maybe I'm just too much of a fan of Merle :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  11. CrowZer0

I wasn't a fan of Merle, I found him quite despicable, but I found him interesting because he was true to who he was and even though I didn't like him, I can appreciate him and enjoy the character, his end was not believable for me. A few things over the last few episodes of the walking dead give me the indication the writers are becoming lazy, and things just seem so out of place it just ruins my suspension of disbelief! Game of Thrones on the other hand, does it wonderfully!

12. John R. Gambit

In that scene with Merle vs. The Governor, Merle was very drunk, set up a hasty ambush without prepping well enough, and killed several armed men solo who also probably had military backgrounds. Merle was injured from the walkers and trying to grapple a larger person with one hand. The only reason he didn't kill the Governor was because his shot was blocked during their CQB while he fired a rifle with his left-hand, which I'm sure he had to retrain himself to use to begin with. He by no means rolled over and died.

And yeah, I got the whole kid going down the path of darkness thing, but I took issue with the way it played out. The older boy was told twice to "drop" the rifle and instead tried to hand it off to someone half his size. Tactically speaking, you don't reach over and grab the thing.

I hope Carle does go down a very dark path in the future as that hasn't been well explored on American TV before with children, but Hershel is overreacting. The only other viable option Carle had was first ordering Captain Doesn't Listen to drop the rifle and stop advancing and then shooting if that failed.

But yeah, Carle's little speech to his father sealed the deal and I'm eager to see how they write that out. How dark they're willing to go with a child character will be a fascinating topic for mainstream US TV.

And the Cliffhanger is the Governor living to fight another day. He won't give up just because his odds are doomed now, he's too far gone for that.

13. CrowZer0

Sorry John, other than the Cliffhanger part I don't really agree with the rest, sounds a little too much like fanboyism/confirmation bias. I'm reading what you're saying but I just don't find it very feasible and it seems like we are looking at the same things completely differently.

Edit:
    I agree about the Dark part, not the Merle death (regardless of how drunk), the shooting, or the justification behind Carl's shooting.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. John R. Gambit

[​IMG]

15. CrowZer0

[​IMG]

16. John R. Gambit

Season 4 Trailer From Comic-Con:​

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSi2fJALDyQ"]Comic-Con Trailer: The Walking Dead Season 4 - YouTube[/ame]