For the Sake of Clarification

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Vajrayana, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Oh, sorry, paused me game to reply. I get bogged down in these metamaphorical anah-logie majiggeries anyway ;)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Mharewood you make a lot if assumptions none of which are correct. Your biggest problem however is still the fact that everything you say is not only logically and philosophically wrong, it goes against everything BRUCE LEE HIMSELF stated about JKD other than the "simplify" aspect

Do you think that "Concepts" is just adding other arts and techniques? Seldom have I seen such a vitriolic position backed by such a clueless grasp if reality. There is little more to be discussed here. Everyone - EVERYONE - points out the flaws in your thinking but it is we who just "don't get it"

Whatever you say. Good luck carrying that boat on your back - I discarded mine a long time ago

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Mharewood, Shootodog was asking you about your grappling lineage. You know, all 9 months of it. I am willing to bet I got more mat experience in one month on the HS wrestling team than you got in all 9 months of your training.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You know, I made a few attempts at constructing an actual counterpoint to this. But, honestly, it's not worth it. It's clear what you want to believe. And I don't expect that I'm talented enough to convince you otherwise. Nor am I particularly interested in doing so. You believe whatever you like. Won't make a jot of difference in my life.

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Wow, reading this thread its easy to see that JKD came from Wing Chun.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

What gets me is some of the disrespect shown towards Bruce Lee in this thread.

For the very brief training I had in JKD back in Seattle in mid-1980s, the training was just about perfecting a few techniques. Worked a lot on the 3-inch punch mechanics.

We had people in Seattle that were first generation students of Bruce Lee. So there wasn't a lot of BS going on. Respect for Bruce was there. Ends up that I find out later that what I was learning was being called non-classical Wing Chun due to it being passed down from one of the original students of Bruce Lee, so it wasn't even called JKD.

People knew when you said JKD and who you took it from what was going on. They didn't go around and say YOUR JKD is wrong. Unless of course, you had no certification to teach it, and that makes you a fake.

So what certifications do each of you have to teach your JKD? Only those that claim to teach JKD need to reply.

A fellow brother in martial arts to me, for example, advertises JKD as part of his school, easy to verify his certification as Full Instructor in Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do Grappling under Sifu Larry Hartsell. He isn't making claims he is teaching the one true JKD.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  7. Hannibal

Tragic the way dogmatism always intrudes into things isn't it?

Bruce is spinning right about now probably. I said RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING that JKD is not a single entity and that no-one has a monopoly on it - and I still stand by that

8. Hannibal

I answered it elsewhere but will gladly state it again -

Full Instructor rank under Paul Vunak

9. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I'm sorely tempted to play a religious metaphor, about a guy with a decent idea spawning the antithesis of what he was standing for. But I'm not sure if casting Bruce Lee as Jesus is exactly the effect I'm aiming for...

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, gets me every time. I might convert to PFS.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

"JKD-The Wonder Art"

It is a Wonder How people come up with stuff about it

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the way i see it, pure jkd = what bruce lee developed. therefore, pure jkd = jun fan kickboxing. that being said, anything after that is not pure jkd. which defeats the philosophy behind jkd as bruce lee had stated. therefore Mharewood's lineage is useless because those teachers who taught him have contaminated the pure jkd/ jun fan with their own stuff and interpretations.

bruce lee is dead. jkd has evolved as he wanted it to. to be like water. to fit and filter and adapt.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  13. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The problem with any so called PURE martial art no matter who founded it is, if you try to keep it PURE you yourself become a robot simply mimicing the founders movements and the art its self no longer adapts or evolves to try to improve its self and eventually is simply fades away.

The only PURE martial arts are DEAD martial arts.

14. Pat OMalley

And how can you say JKD is pure it has Boxing, Wing Chun, Fencing etc and BL trained with people such as Wally Jay Small Circle Ju Jitsu and Judo Gene Labell Wrestling (Thats grappling by the way for you so called purists) amongst other people. So what is pure about that? A pure mix of different influences, methods of training and approches to combat and training I suppose???

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

there a similar attitude in purity with BJJ. you have GJJ which is so focused on what helio taught and you have bjj which tries to expand its grappling base.
    the way the world is now, so much spread of info and styles, cross training is the only way you can survive.

16. Pat OMalley

And you have no choice for if you get into a real fight I have bad news for some of those so called Purists, Bad Boys train martial arts too to you better have you act together on no rely on your PURE ART to see you through because they may well be better at it than you.

The more weapons you have in your arsenal and the more bullets you have to fire gives you a far better chance of over comming the odds. And for those of you who think street encounters will simply be a one on one hands and legs affair you need to get a reality check. A good proportion of street fights include multiple aggressors with weapons e the inprovised or actual. So for someone to say I dont train weapons because I dont carry them is a fool, whether you carry them or not you need to know how they work in order to have a chance against them.

The same is tru for grappling, you cant anti grapple unless you actually know how to grapple in the first place. Like you cant intercept a fist if you dont know how to punch.

17. 47MartialMan

There is that word "pure" again. :rolleyes:

Nothing can be so pure and yet remain that way

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

a pure heart maybe. a pure art? hmmm...

19. 47MartialMan

Nothing can be so pure and yet remain that way

20. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

That is what I've been trying to explain all along.!!! Bruces tools are not his per say but the ones he selected based on a criteria of universal truth in movement and combat efficiency. He made them his own through "expression" and you can make the same tools your own through "expression"

Doing bruce lees JKD is not cloning bruce lee. Its following and understanding the direction he identified. when you come to terms and understand it. you'd realise that
    A) in techniques
    B) in strategy
    C) in training methods
    no better place is that reflected in than in the tools selected. That is your universal alphabet of combat! You express "yourself" not bruce! but not before mastering those tools. Otherwise you are putting the Cart (JKD Philosophy) before the horse (Fighting) like what most others on this forum seem to want to promote.
    Maybe this link written by a memebr of the BLF will help you understand better
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/11533813/JKD-a-Science

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.