For the Sake of Clarification

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Vajrayana, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vajrayana

Vajrayana Valued Member

So... Upon further reading I've found that Jeet Kune Do is less about the specific martial mechanics that Bruce Lee used, and more about expressing yourself with a blend of martial arts that fit You.

Is this correct?

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

when you learn jkd, you will start off learning junfan, then most likely kali. then some other stuff like techniques taken from boxing and judo and fencing.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes and no

It is more about the core CONCEPTS behind an art rather than the art itself. Blending arts is merely eclecticism, which whilst worthwhile (MMA etc) is not entirely the same as JKD.

The individual part means that you make the techniques work for you, not necessarily that you just cherry pick what you like. It can get quite tedious and headachy so my advice is this:

1) Find the best people you can in various disciplines
    2) Train with them as often as you can

This helps prevent mental onanism and tedious debates about "teh d34dly JKD" that always occur and actually instills the ability to fight

4. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

definetely no kali.think fencer with arms and legs.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I think a lot of people looking into or studying (without a qualified instructor) tend to use this reference or statement regularly.

They are trying to cover excuses why not to train diligently in any art in the first place.

BL was about learning martial arts...any and all he could.

6. Hannibal

Don't let your own bias prevent you from offering objective advice

It depends on the branch - if he is in a "JKDC" school there is every chance he would learn Kali . This does not mean if he does NOT do Kali he is not doing JKD of course

And despite anything anyone else said, Bruce did Kali too so why some people insist on saying it is not in the rubric of JKD seems asinine

7. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

all Kali into JKD comes from Inosanto.
    it takes a while to see trough the mess in JKD to be a honest that my advice really,when you ve got the right direction,its all becomes clear.
    the late JKD based on fencing principles,very direct,very simple not mix of this and that and something else.
    another advice to train against multiple opponents to see how much mixture needs to chop off the make something works.

what Branch...JKD is not a concept.the problem is that,most instructor teach early wing chun stuffs and kickboxing as JKD.
    the best advice i think,to visit as many instructor as possible and try to keep your feet on hard land and use common sense to judge what u see.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  8. Hannibal

Yes it is a concept - a way to look at yourself honestly; unless of course you think you know more than Sijo Lee in his own writings of course

9. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Concept guy for sure says its a concept.
    on the first group session with Tommys guys i woke up from this bad dream call it JKD.
    no need theories just need to ... do it.
    no need to show, u can do this and that and thousends of things when u cant do a simple thing.
    the point is how can u shut them down the fastest as possible.to do that you need not much.that is the art of JKD

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Just Do It! :rolleyes::evil:

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Why do we get so much trollish posturing from students of Tommy Carruthers on this board? I've never met the man, but if his students are representative of him then I doubt we'd get on.

12. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I had a terrible dream the other night too, I was getting married to some lass I'd never met before, except in the dream her and everyone else thought I known her for donkeys, could not for the life of me figure out what was going on. Although I woke up to a sweat and realised my bloody flatmate had put the heating back on.

I mean seriously who runs the central heating in April? I had to have words with him...

Ohhh right the meant ALLEGORY! To be honest Sheever, the principles you're describing sound a lot like a concept to me, but does it matter whether it's a principle or a concept? Surely what's important is whether it makes sense and works?

13. shootodog

so this tommy carruthers does not come from inosanto i gather.

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Simply to simplify..I love it:)

15. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

The principles matters nothing else you need really and common sense.when u watch the burton interview he asked lee what stuffs he do and lee said finger in the eye,kick to the groin and stuffs...if you take the pieces and put them together you get a really simple thing.oh yes it just need to train hard but it takes effort isnt it..

16. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Sooo, what's the difference, in this context, between a principle and a concept?

17. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

JKD is a set of principles and concepts. As long as you follow them then its JKD, so weather you want to stick to the jun fan or use other arts to help your own path then that's JKD. There is a difference between cross training and JKD. Either way as long as you follow the principles and idea's nobody can say you are wrong

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Except Sheever ;)

19. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Concept is just theory
    Priciples based on physical factors give you proper guide and u can rely on.
    I must say there is a big difference in these two I experienced both side.

20. shootodog

so how does your lineage look?

bruce lee--->???--->???---->???---->sheever?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.