For the Purpose of a future Poll - What addition or subtraction to TKD would make

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by RagingDelirium, Oct 24, 2010.

1. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

For the Purpose of a future Poll - What addition or subtraction to TKD would you make?

Continuing on from the Why is Taekwondo always considered weak and ineffective? *conversation included*

I mentioned posting a few polls as to what people would really like changed or added or subtracted
    to improve TKD, both as TMA, sport MA and TKD's reputation?

So here's the first part, I will try and collect up options later and create the necessary poll

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. RagingDelirium

So the first thing i would like to see added at white belt stage is sweeps and kicks to lower legs
    Also i would like to see sweeps included in competition matches and free sparring

e.g. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9R6dgRTrzI&feature=related"]YouTube - Karate Tips - Sweeps - Pt 3/6 - Spider Web Theory[/ame]

I figure the addition of this sort of thing alone would dramatically alter TKD.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  3. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Depends how you sweep... I though that sweeps and low kicks are generally excluded from "sport" MA competitions because of the risk of injury?

A lot of the time you collapse the opponent's knee to take them down (at least that's how I think of it), I'm seeing a lot of GradeI/IIs to the ACL & PCL if that went into a competition. The sweeps shown in the vid (taking the ankle) would *probably* be quite safe.

But they're not really in my bag of tricks so I could be wrong.

4. RagingDelirium

sweeps seem to be acceptable to use in both Karate & Judo?

Also i figure as TKD is primarily a stand up striking art one the first things you need to learn as part of your core foundation of skills is not to end up on the ground.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Nope, they're very much encouraged in karate competitions

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbnB-F3wjGE"]YouTube - Last Kumite - Southern Region Championship 07[/ame]

That dude got ippon (instant win) for that one.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

proper taekwondo used to include yudo (korean name for judo). bring it back.

also proper training and drilling of the patterns and their applications.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Nothing at all. It's the most successful martial art there is. Just not for everyone

8. RagingDelirium

I suspect that may have a lot to do with way that it was exported
    compared to other arts that where less than friendly about teaching none nationals (or that just to much "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story":rolleyes:)

9. Moi

Hatever the reasons it's exceptionally successful

10. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

I am no longer a student of TKD but if I could recommend something for them to add to their art?
    THE USE OF THE HANDS

11. Fish Of Doom

but as you say, moi, it's not for everyone.

particularly not for serious taekwondoin.

12. Fish Of Doom

way ahead of you:

tkd + punches = katya solovey
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfq9NDgbGqA&feature=related"]YouTube - TKD ITF Katya Solovey_hl[/ame]

also tkd+yudo/judo = paul doumbia
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UjhxnnMdE"]YouTube - Allstyle Mastercup Paul Doumbia[/ame]

13. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

can't add sumthing we already got?

14. Moi

I now look at it as a business and it gets bums on seats (or off them as it where) If it's not enough the do something that is.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think Moi makes a good point.

But I'd expand it to say that I want it to be the most successful art to a greater number of people.

In all honesty I have no problem with teaching people who don't want to fight. Why should I? They get a lot out of training. More than that I've seen people go from wanting nothing but a bit of jogging to doing a few patterns to armouring up and doing full contact rape simulations.

I also want to offer (and do) full contact broad rules sparring (and broadening :D) to those that want it.

This may make me open to "jack of all trades..." accusations and that's probably true. I'm not going to train professional fighters in the local leisure centre.

But I can teach solid self defence skills and stretch people, regardless of where they start from.

To answer the original post, TKD needs to add an open ruleset for sparring (which has always been there but was largely ignored) and decent self defence training. The same could be said of many arts.

Mitch

And as a slight correction to dianhsuhe and fish that's not TKD + hands, that's just TKD. :)

16. Fish Of Doom

fixed :p

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Someone had to armour up and be the rapist you know.

Mitch

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Mitch is bang on the money. With a more open ruleset all the other things (clinch, knees, throws, groundwork, blah, blah) will follow.
    The tools are there. They just need a forum in which to be used.

19. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

TKD IMO needs to take the approach that many BJJ schools has towards adopting anything that works into their grappling. If they see there is a weekness assimilate from the best available sources and not be bound by "tradition" in their selection of "acceptable" techniques. Then train it in a safe, but effective manner. Pressure test and use as much "live" training and use of contact as MMA, Muay Thai and Submission Grappling do. There are those who would argue that it would no longer be TKD if that is what was done, but that would only be so if the majority of the art refuses to evolve.

Many of the techniques are already in the broad TKD syllabus, but are usually overlooked and all but ignored. Thre are other elements tha have truly never been part of TKD's arsenal, but could (and IMO should) be. It doesn't all have to be from Korea (and considering the real history, very little is anyhow). Adopt the addition of boxing's approach to TKD's punching arsenal, adopt Muay Thai's application and training methods to power kicks, clinch fighting and knee and elbow strikes. This added to what is already there in the strong points of TKD's striking arsenal would create a truly exceptional striking system.

I would also recommend not only bringing back an emphasis on the yudo sweeps, throws and takedowns that were part of my TKD education during my youth, but add to that submissions and ground fighting from BJJ and MMA. Over 30 years ago, when I started TKD, there was quite a bit of blending of Hapkido and Yudo in the mix, not only at my school, but in many others around us as well. There just seemed to be a movement from the powers-that-be to narrow the focus away from that. I don't see why you can't return to the older model and expand from that. Our schools have done just that and added in the FMA's into the training as well as many methods from RBSD, as well. So I know from experience that it can be done.

20. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Nice videos Fish! Katya is doing exactly what Kwan Jang is talking about. I like her mitt drills.

One thing I'd say, however, is she tends to move in a very linear style. She gets away with it because she is setting up the spinning back kick when retreating, but she didn't seem to cut many angles.