Foot locks in the gym

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Korpy, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

How many of you BJJers here on MAP, practice foot locks in the gym? What are your thoughts about it? And if you do, how do you do it?

I, myself practice foot locks, especially in sparring. My first ever BJJ coach was from Russia and had Sambo experience, so right away, he versed me in heel hooks and toe holds. Going six years back, a lot of tournaments still allowed those locks, and I won a whole tournament with heel hooks, and kneebars.

My current coach, before training BJJ, had learned Shoot Wrestling, so he as well was very versed in foot locks, so he teaches them, even though in most grappling tournaments and in our local MMA scene, heel hooks and toe holds are not allowed. If we roll with twisting foot locks, we do catch and release. You grab it, let go and restart.

But in rolling with straight ankle locks and kneebars, we go for the tap. Not everyone is a fan of them, but there is a core group of guys at our place that will play in sparring with them. Getting ready for my MMA fight in February, I have been doing a lot of work with the straight ankle lock.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm pretty much the same. In the gi we just don't go for heel hooks. In no gi we go for everything. Neck cranks too.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

It's been different at different gyms I've trained at. I like leg locks, I think they open up an entirely new game for people.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hit them where we want. The mma guys will go for heel hooks and not touch the foot, but get to the tie ups and everything where both guys know its a done deal anyway.

Don't think I've ever been to a bjj place that didn't let you go for the achilles and stuff. My old gym used to not let you go for anything that wasn't allowed at your belt, but my current one the guys can go for anything that's legal in bjj.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I always try to stress to my students to play with the straight ankle lock. It is always overlooked when it comes to foot locks. Everyone wants to do the heel hook because of its devastating power, but if you can become proficient with the straight ankle, you can surprise a lot of people and win matches.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I love the straight ankle lock. I catch it a lot from standing passes. If someone leaves their foot hanging for even just a second it's easy to slap it on and, if you miss it, not that hard to get back up and try again for the pass.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I enjoy that as well. What I've been playing with a lot more is with the 50/50 guard. I find that most people do not properly train foot locks, so I can usually pick off a straight ankle from there.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I shin crank like a boss personally

9. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

We do everything but save heel hooks for purple and above.... Or even experienced blue belts. Basically people who've learned not to spaz.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Straight footlocks and no reaping only at white (standard IBJJF), after Blue anything non ibjjf is ok with the express consent of your partner, But you have to know what your doing, and know how to look after your partner.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I thought straight foot locks are legal for white belt adults??

[​IMG]

12. Dead_pool

Yep, which is why we practise them!

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I teach the reap. I think it is important for anyone doing BJJ to know, and it is not dangerous like the IBJJF tries to make it out to be.

14. Dead_pool

It's definitely important, but its also important white belts don't get dq'd in comp, so we use the ibjjf rules as a starting point.

I like the fact BJJ has multiple rulesets, but I think it helps the new people to have an ultra clear ruleset at white.