Folding@Home and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Some of you may know of the Folding@Home program. What F@H does is, by distributed computing, use your computer's spare computing power to simulate how proteins fold to help understand cancers and Alzheimer's.

Now though, with COVID-19 (Coronavirus) research being of importance, Folding@Home are working on that. By installing Folding@Home on your computer, you can help scientists to understand and hopefully cure Coronavirus. MAP used to have a group running (original 2004 thread) so if you join in enter team id 38887.

It might not be much, but I think we'd all agree that any help the experts get is a good thing.

- Anth

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I just installed this. I used to have something like this on a computer many years ago, but I have moved house and changed computers a few times, completely forgot until you brought this up! :)

Anth likes this.
  3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Yeah, I was reminded about it by a tech page on Flipboard and thought straight away of MAP's group from back in the day. The statistics page on F@H seems to be down but we can keep folding regardless :)

axelb likes this.