Focused breathing

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Van Zandt, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I visited a UKTA (ITF) dojang tonight, and the way they breathe out on movements is strikingly different to how we did it in my TAGB (ITF offshoot) days. In WTF, we didn't do it at all.

UKTA is a kind of a harsh "ch" sound, whereas TAGB was a softer "shh" noise.

How do you do it?

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

More like a boxer myself, I don't hold my breath but I don't really kia, more like sss sss sss, between my teeth kinda.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty much this. When I'm throwing power kicks I start shouting something like "AAAASH!" Not quite how it sounds when I shout it though.

What did you get banned for btw? :p

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Focused breathing - for some of us a dream.

I'm such a mouth breather - the thing I've had to work on the most is remembering to breath through my nose which is usually in an increasing state of congestion as the session progresses.

Having one's mouthpiece fall out every so often helps as a reminder. :rolleyes:

The sound?

What is the sound of a high viscosity body fluid being sucked through eustachian tubes?

S-S-SN-SN-SN-AARRRGGG!!

:dunno:

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The way I do it is similar to bodyshot. Got told I sounded like bad hydraulics lol.

Here's how the UKTA (and other ITF organisations, probably) do it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuiEzW4jti0[/ame]

6. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

FWIW Patterns have technical standards so the student can perform at a specific standard and the instructor or observer can determine if the performer knows and can perform the standard. Audible breathing allows the observer to determine if the breaathing is properly coordinated with the technnique.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks Earl.

Do you teach your students to do it like Jaroslaw Suska in the video I posted, or do you teach it a different way?

8. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Similar if not the same. While I do not agree 100% with the way Mr. Suska does everything I would be happy if all my students performed at that level.

It is what many believe (perceptions vary) to be the technical standard (or close to it) as General Choi wanted.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you for your input.

10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

From an outside of Taekwondo perspective the key to breathing is to let the air move out of, or into, your lungs as body movements either compress or expand the rib cage and / or diaphragm.

It is possible to strike with power on an in-breath as well as an out-breath. Sounds should compliment the flow of air, short explosive sounds for explosive compression / expansion of rib cage / diaphragm, longer drawn out sounds for smoother movement of ribs / diaphragm. Sometimes the sound can be used to help coordinate movement sometimes it can simply emerge as a result of movement.

The only rule is - don't hold your breath.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  11. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I can't recall.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm not a fan of the animatronics noises to be honest.

It seems to me that all you're really doing is constricting the airway to make an audible sound, rather than breathing as efficiently as possible.

Any noise should come simply from effort (mine tends towards a sort of whimpering complaint :D), not artifice.

Mitch

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i keep mine natural, but it's heavily conditioned by the 'ibuki' breathing from karate's sanchin training. most identify this with bizarre exaggerated hissing sounds, which are usually used to see if a trainee is actually doing it, but the sound is just a side effect, and the thing itself is actually heavily related to posture. the posture itself is merely a formal exercise, and what's actually used is the motor pattern it teaches (which is then applied in impact training to train sudden activation with explosive movements and against physical resistance. it's not hugely different than bracing for a heavy lift, different mainly in spinal posture because one is upright and the resistance is horizontal.

the pattern and posture are something like this (not taking into account the use of the hips, legs, shoulders and arms, which have their own related details:

Attached Files:

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

also what mitch said x10000. different tensions produce different sorts of grunts though. example, if doing a slow exercise requiring high tension and stability, i will generally go 'ssssssss' because i'm trying to keep as much tension and bracing as possible by maximizing abdominal contraction while minimizing air loss, whereas in an explosive olympic lift i will generally yell my guts out in short busts while moving, not unlike stereotypical JMA yells and grunts, with held breaths in static positions. same with hitting, it's uncommon to hear me doing piston-like sounds, because hitting is not a drawn-out stability movement, it's a violent, explosive movement, so the resulting sound will be different, accordingly to the static and dynamic forces involved innmy posture and movement.

15. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

IMNSHO this is not correct. What is possible and what is optimal are different considerations. Like most athletic activities you should exhale with the exertion.