Foam roller

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by eggbeater, Jan 9, 2014.

1. eggbeater

eggbeater New Member

Hi,

Does anyone use a foam roller for injury recovery / prevention? Are they any good? I've just bought one with the intention of using on a tight hamstring, thanks,

James.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yes and yes. They are essential if you intend to take your training seriously.

Lots of videos on Youtube showing how to use them for soft tissue management. Embrace the pain!

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Some good links and videos in this thread.

5. eggbeater

eggbeater New Member

Thanks guys, it's appreciated.....I'm a foam roller virgin lol :)

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Well, it hurts the first time, but it feels so damn good...foam rolling that is.

Yeah, do some rollin'...it's niiiiice.

7. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

It's nice to see this post as I was intending to post a similar question.

So, people, what tools do you mostly use for soft tissue massage / fascial release / trigger point therapy AND for recovery / mobility generally?

I'm newbie at all this recovery stuff if you exclude the usual stretches post-workout and the RICE method.
    Actually, my own experience is that RICE method is incomplete and I actually practice METH method -more or less-:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/radical_methods_of_injury_rehabilitation

For tools, I have read about the Thera Cane, Foam Rollers, tennis/golf etc balls and the double taped tennis/golf etc balls. I will buy a 3pack of tennis balls soon, tape the 2 of them and I will have those 2 tools.
    Am I okay for the beginning?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I used a tennis ball when I had an ankle injury and it really helped. When I got used to it and I felt it wasn't giving any benefit I bought a baseball and used that.

It did wonders for my ankle mobility and rehab. I spent weeks in physio with little results, using the balls the problem cleared up in a couple of weeks. The problem could have been clearing up anyway, of course.

I rolled my foot on it and then would roll the ball up and down the sides of my lower leg.

I still do it a little before and after runs for mobility and that.

Works pretty well on your glutes too.

Do it!

9. holyheadjch

I use a roller and a 'back buddy' which is just a fancy thera cane.

It hurts so good.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I haven't read much of the research behind foam rolling (SMR) but it feels damn good.

I use it as a separate session from training because it is really relaxing.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

My neurologist almost recommended me a theracane because some neck issues I had a few months ago were really bad, but due to the locations of tightness he figured normal stretching and a tennis ball to massage the area would work fine. It did do a lot of good, but as I'm getting more loose I'm realizing there are different spots in extremely hard to reach areas (mainly around the traps/neck area that are difficult to get with any self method) that are contributing to the problem.

I'm thinking about getting one. There are stretches for my neck/upper back I do that makes the muscles above my eye/top of head and side of my head feel like they are getting pulled off my skull which contributes to tension headaches and I just can't effectively reach them myself.

How successful has it been for you, and do you recommend a particular brand? I tend to put a lot of pressure and use a lot of force with objects to put pressure on an area, would hate to buy something cheap and just have it snap or bend after a few sessions.

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have a medium strength foam roller, a tennis ball and a hockey ball at the moment. I want to get a hard foam roller and/or a thick PVC pipe and a larger, harder ball.

I find the balls are really useful for targeting smaller areas on my back and hips.

13. holyheadjch

Mine is a 'body back buddy' and it is invaluable for dealing with points you can't really treat with a roller. It was quite expensive, and you could build yourself something equally up to the task for a fraction of the cost if you were willing to trade the time for the cash.

14. Ero-Sennin

Asked the wife to look for one at a CVS today (major pharmacy/drug store/mini-walmart like place in the states) to see if they have one but I doubt they will. Will probably end up ordering online, the most expensive things I've seen is the "body back buddy" which runs around $40 but the generic kind is as cheap as $25. I'll probably go with the more expensive one because that generally means it's more sturdy.

I would have to make a list of things for my wife to go out and get me to make one. The pain of having to explain to her everything to get and what it will be used for and knowing she's going to get the wrong thing twice isn't worth a couple bucks. :p

15. Ero-Sennin

I'm currently using a tennis ball and a boading ball (those balls you roll around in your hand) on my neck and a problem area for my shoulder I can only get to through my back as the problem is under the scapula. The efficiency on the neck was good until the problem migrated down into the upper back, but the balls have been amazing on working the kink out of my shoulder.

Being active and exercising was keeping my shoulder healthy but do to my current health situation, physical activity isn't happening and for a while my shoulder was getting really bad. Propping myself against a wall and letting a tennis ball invade the under side of my scapula by the small lats was incredibly painful at first, but beneficial. After about a week it didn't hurt anymore and my solder didn't ache, and I had normal mobility.

Any time I have a sore spot or a kink I hit it with the foam roller or a tennis ball, can't speak enough for how much it works.

16. eggbeater

eggbeater New Member

Ha ha :) I'm impressed with my foam roller, I've used it for the past 3 evenings and can honestly feel some benefit, my left hamstring has been tight for a while and it does appear slightly better, also my knee which has been aching recently seems to have eased off too. The links posted to this thread have been helpful, thanks :)

17. righty

righty Valued Member

I've got a theracane I got on a whim. While it is nice and handy to have I don't think its necessary as there is a lot of things you can do with a roller, hard balls and random thing you will find around home, work and the gym.

The hooks on the squat racks are a favourite at my gym.

18. holyheadjch

Do your IT band too. It's amazing how tight they get when they're not being looked after.

19. eggbeater

eggbeater New Member

Yes, I've been working on my IT bands and I've found this is the most painful area to work at the moment :cry:

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

you checked out the elite FTS back nobber?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3UAnIxHe8"]Back Nobber EliteFTS - YouTube[/ame]