FMA's

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 19, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ok guys i think FMA is my kind a thing..but the biggggggggest problem is that there's NO FMA in my country... i don't hav much $$ to travel to some country n learn so i m left with correspondance courses AKA video tapes... now tell me wat video tapes u would prefer...
    thnx
    -TkdWarrior-

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Fill in all the standard negative points about training by video. Sometimes ... as in your situation ... there's not much other option. And video is better than nothing.

I would recommend, though, that if you're serious about your pursuit of FMA, you get what you can from vids and start saving up money to make a trip somewhere to spend time with an instructor in person.

In the FMA (at least as I was taught), there's a thing called the "Learning Triangle." It's "see it, feel it, do it." All of these are important (even vital) to learning martial arts. You have to see it done correctly, feel it done correctly, and do it until it's correct. A video only covers one of these (see it) ... and since it's *always* from the same angle, it doesn't do it completely. Also, obviously, you can't ask a video a question and the instructor's explanation will *always* be the same (which has both pluses and minuses ... among the minuses, though, you never get exposure to some of the nuances that come out with different explanations of the same material). A video won't attack you or correct you if you're doing something wrong.

However ... vid recommendations:
    Of the FMA vids that I've seen, I think some of the best (for learning from) are Edgar Sulite's LAMECO tapes and Bobby Taboada's Balintawak tapes. Also, anything by Dan Inosanto will be worthwhile. The Dog Brothers tapes have a lot of good material on them too.

Mike

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

mike u r rite about learning from Videos but that's the only option i m left with :( in India Martial art is not BIG thing... we still hav lots of TKD n Karate some Kung-fu styles too but i basically doubt their ability untill n unless i see them myself...
    rite now i m much of student n savin n then travellin counts a BIG deal for me...but yup i m lookin towards that too i know couple of guys is US who r some deal ... so probably i'll travel in couple of years...
    but mike would u mind giving me site address so that i can order them?
    u ever heard about Sayoc Kali system??
    thnx for ur advice.
    -TkdWarrior-

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well ... I've heard good things about Lahti and Kalaripayatt (a couple of Indian martial arts ... don't know if they're available where you are or not).

Anyway ...

I know you can order Dan Inosanto's latest vids from his website at http://www.inosanto.com

If you go to http://martialarts.iisports.com/dept.asp?dept_id=2202 you'll see FMA vids by Sulite, Inosanto, and others.

Bobby Taboada's vids can be found at http://www.mati.com/videos.html#Taboada

Yes, I've heard of Sayoc ... in fact, I've been studying it for a couple of months. It's awesome. You can find out more info about it at http://www.sayoc.com

Mike

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

kalaripayattu n lathi... for lathi i know several ppl
    but lathi is like either 6 feet long or around 12 feet long(close to dragon pole) so it's hard to carry or hard in avaliability...
    kalaripayattu i know about this art too they uses mostly flexible weapons(swords n all) best weapon suited for their style is long flexible sword which is around 8-10 feet long... again
    rattan sticks r better options they look harmless too(law here is strict about weapons :( )
    i'll be learning taichi Sword(of course wooden), straight sword, taiji stick(both) i know nunchaku, hav lil bit idea about knife fighting(yup once tried, nepalese style)
    anyways thnx for websites address...
    -TkdWarrior-

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Huh. I was under the impression that Lahti actually uses sticks ranging from the long ones you mentioned down to palm sticks (i.e.: fit in your hand). Maybe I was wrong ... or maybe they start with the long sticks and the short sticks don't come out until more advanced ... I don't know.

Anyway ... you're welcome for the vid links.

Mike

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Mike Palm sticks r there which r also used in But Marma Atti(Indian Dim-Mak) style uses this one, no other styles, Lathi basically means big pole(Danda) which u can't say for palm sticks.
    dunno wat they called in Marma Atti(as it's south Indian weapon) i belong to North India( in india language changes in every 100 KM :D)
    -TkdWarrior-

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yeah ... I'm aware of the language changing thing :) A friend of mine is married to an Indian (actually, half Malaysian, half Indian ... but grew up in India) woman and she's mentioned that before.

It's also like that throughout Indonesia and the Philippines ... though they both have "national" languages. There are hundreds of different dialects scattered througout the region.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 23, 2002
  9. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Datu Hartman , Remmy Preases or Paul Vunak
    These Guys are all good at FMA

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Umm ... Prof. Presas is dead ... and Hartman and Vu are in America ... not India ... not much of a help for TkdWarrior

Mike

11. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Welcome Acekickin :)

Nice to have more FMA representatives on here :)

Look forward to hearing more from you :)

Melanie

12. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Thank U for the Welcome
    Yes Profeser has passed
    Tim & Vun. Are in America

But ......
    I read somer in the Top a mentchon
    Of video Training All 3 have good Videos.

13. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Oh yeah ... sorry. I was tired when I wrote my response ... didn't make that connection.

I've not seen any of Hartman's vids. I'd definitely agree on Vunak's and Presas's vids. There are some good ones.

Mike

14. moromoro

moromoro New Member

you are an indian living in india

learn kalari payyatu it is an awsome complete martial art

terry

15. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yeah ... but he said he's interested in FMA. From what I've heard, Lahti (another Indian art) would have a little more in common with the FMA than Kalari.

But, nonetheless, he was asking about the FMA specifically :)

Mike

16. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey i know about kalari payyatt...
    i hav practiced it's off shoot art(not exactly but advance one) Marma addi. as Pesilat already said i was much intrested in FMA cuz i like sticks and as he talked about "Lathi" FMA is close to it...
    i m putting my time in Lathi tho but later when i'll hav some money in my piggy bank ;) i'll learn FMA too...

oh BTW lathi is incorporated in Kalari too with other weapons...
    -TkdWarrior-

17. moromoro

moromoro New Member

i know but he has a opportunity to train with some of the best GM's there

also could you explain lahti

thanks

terry

18. moromoro

moromoro New Member

kalari payattu looks bloody awesome a true warriors art, i love the bundi dagger, and that flexible sword i heard that a master can take a head off with that

thanks

terry

19. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

As far as I understand (correct me if I'm wrong, Tkd), Lahti is a stick art. It trains with sticks ranging from long staffs down to palm sticks.

Of course, the FMA are at their heart, blade arts but, from what little bit of Lahti I've seen, it's pretty similar to FMA.

Mike

20. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm....I have seen ppl practising lathi.....from what I have seen the use only long staffs....anyways the word lathi means a long stick/staff in Hindi...

|Cain|