FMA school in brisbane / Australia?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by dexxl, Sep 28, 2005.

1. dexxl

dexxl New Member

hi, i'm lookin for a FMA school that instructs in stick/knife fighting in brisbane australia. preferably in the western suburbs.

thanks

2. Falcore

Falcore almost acceptable

Theres a Nino Pillo School in Paddington, which is sorta north west:
    Nino Pilla International Academy of Martial Arts
    18 Bowler Street
    Paddington 4064
    0419 751 292

I think he teaches something more from Inosanto than straight FMA, but he's sposed to be good.

3. dexxl

dexxl New Member

thanx!

4. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Try the following eskrimadores:

Grandmaster Carlos Navarro
    (training by referral only)
    http://www.black-eagle.org/grandmaster.htm

Master David Tsang
    tsangd@hotmail.com

Master Jerry Collins
    jerryjcollins@hotmail.com

Master Ming Lee
    ming.lee@uq.net.au

Senior Instructor Lars Peter-Schneider
    lp_schneider@hotmail.com

Junior Instructor Penelope Macleod
    s355298@student.uq.edu.au

Also try contacting Neil Dacalos in Brisbane. He's a Black Eagle Eskrima practitioner. His e-mail is: neil_dacalos@hotmail.com

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  5. Trihardfilo

Trihardfilo New Member

Not to mention any of the above...but the skills were pretty average. Knew a lot of theories..but not much chop with the fighting. A lot of impractical stuff...

Neil was pretty full on...but he didnt really do Black Eagle...he had his own thing...but it sure hurt, not for everyone...a bit of psycho training....but the students were good. I can recommend him....he's a bit moody...but nice enough guy.

I trained with three of the above as well, i wont mention their names as they didnt really impress me....

Other than that, go to Cookie Vasilous's school. She is also pretty good...not as intense as Neil...but very technically good. Good instructors too.

Hope this helps....

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not that your opinion isn't valid. But the OP was from half a decade ago.

7. Trihardfilo

Trihardfilo New Member

True, didnt really look at the date...just came across it...looking for more fma teachers in Brisbane...anyone know?

8. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

I can direct you to a Doce Pares teacher, and a couple of Black Eagle teachers not on that list. I don't know how they compare to those on that list, but they're passionate and they spar hard. I've met Ming but never sparred with him.

9. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi,

I train with one of the Black Eagle instructors, drop me a line and I can put you in touch with those folks, or if you like with the Doce Peres group that also runs in Brisbane and surrounds. There is a fair bit of interaction and good relations between the various groups and instructors so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone for you to train with. It's just a bit underground and takes a little effort to find.

paul