FMA is called FMA because...

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Em-em, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Ang hirap sabihin sa English. Paki-translate na lang po:

Kailan natin masasabi na ang isang Martial Art ay FMA?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Errrrrrrrr.........

Riiiiight.

3. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Uhmm, sorry about that. Maybe this thread should be closed. It's nonsense.

Kailan natin masasabi na ang isang Martial Art ay FMA? -- When can we say that a Martial Art is an FMA?

4. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Ummm....when it's origins are Filipino? I'm only guessing.

5. YODA

I'm guessing you're guessing right Dee Tee :D

6. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

kung magtatanong ka sa forum na 'to, o maguumpisa ng thread, e paki sulat na lang sa English. Tandaan mo na puro dayuhan ang nandito at hindi nakakaintindi o nakakabasa ng tagalog, walang kwenta ang tanong mo kung wala naman makakaintindi.

at para sa sagot sa tanong mo, ang isang martial art ay FMA kung ang Pilipinas ang pinagmulan nito. Ang pangkaraniwan na tinatawag na FMA ang mga gumagamit ng mga sandata gaya ng baston, panaksak at itak. Pero sakop na rin sa FMA ng mga style na walang ginagamit na sandata, gaya ng sikaran at yaw-yan.

PM mo na lang ako kung malabo pa 'to sa iyo...

7. YODA

Yeah - what he said :D

8. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

If you're going to ask in this forum or start a thread, please write it in English. Remember that most of the readers here are foreigners and they can't understand or read tagalog. You're thread will be worthless if nobody can understand.

My answer to your question is that a martial art is called an FMA if it originared from the Philippines. Those which are usually called FMA uses baston, panaksak, and itak (large knives/ swords). However, it now includes styles without weapons such as sikaran and yawyaw.

Send me a PM if it's still unclear.

Ipagpaumanhin niyo. Hindi na po mauulit. (I'm sorry sir, it will never happen again)

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Ummm, Em-Em didn't you start talking/typing tagalog?

10. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Uhmm, yes I did and Master Juramentado scolded me. I'm sorry for writing in Tagalog though... It will never happen again. Promise.

If there are stuff I'm going to write besides English, I'll remember to translate it. What I wrote up there is a translation of Master Juramentado's post...

11. YODA

Jim - em-ems post was a translation of juramentado's post.

12. juramentado

LOL Let's get one thing very clear. I'm no Master. I just live here. :D So please don't call me that.

I've used tagalog here and in other forums but only if

a) I'm sure the other person/s know tagalog
    b) it's something that will only make sense or matter to the other person

in most cases, I stick to English. It's the polite thing to do. :)

Don't sweat it, no harm done...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  13. saikyou

saikyou New Member

if it originates in the Philippines. that's why its called Filipino Martial Arts Right?

hmm... ironic. I think most of the practitioners of FMA here are foreigners and not Filipinos. Am I right? correct me if Im wrong. Still, Im happy that FMA had international exposure.

14. juramentado

PM sana kita pero mukhang ayaw **** gumamit nun kaya dito ko na lang isasaad yung sagot ko sa 'yo...

oo nga, mas maraming dayuhan ang nagaaral ng FMA. Hindi kasi binibigyan ng halaga ng mga kababayan natin ang FMA . Ibang MA ang pinagaaralan, kaya lumilipat ang mga guro ng FMA sa ibang bansa at dun nagtuturo, sa mga tao na gustong natuto.

E ikaw, nagaral ka ba ng FMA or nagaaral ngayon ng FMA?

Kung nagaral ka na dati, mabuti naman...kailangan nating bigyan ng halaga ang sariling MA natin. Hindi masama ang magaral ng ibang MA pero dapat lang na matuto din ng FMA kundi mapapahiya ka lang na Pinoy ka at ang mga dayuhan pa ang mas nakakaalam ng FMA kasya sa 'yo. Kahihiyan yun....

Kung nagaaral ka ng FMA ngayon, maraming salamat ang sana ituloy mo ang pagaaral mo. Damihan nating ang nagaaral ng FMA ang ibalik ang galing sa bansa natin.

:)

Note: nothing important in my reply..just Filipino chat. Wanted to send him a PM but it's disabled..

15. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi Saikyou,

Look at the multitudes that practice Karate around the globe. That doesn't take away the fact that it's origins are and always will be Japanese.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point. Could you please explain further.

16. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Hmm... so thats the reason. thanks for that post Juramentado.
    As for your question, Im interested in Dumog.(i love grappling) I saw a book about it. Its called "Dumog: Presas Style." Its really good. I never tried it coz of the lack of instructor.(so they went to other countries...) how about you Juramentado, whats your FMA/MA?
    as for me, my main MA is Judo.

I'll have a chance to learn arnis coz somebody told me that arnis will be our PE next year.(im a sophomore college student) it will be cool. Im not sure but Im looking forward to it.

As for your question DeeTee, Im asking if the majority of FMA practitioners are foreigners.

Your right DeeTee. Karate is practiced around the world but it is still known as a Japanese MA. I hope that even if the majority of practitioners of FMA are foreigners, it will always be known that it originated here in the Philippines.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  17. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

juramentado -- do you know any good books that deals with FMA? I think this will be a very good topic for a research paper...

18. juramentado

There are a number of books on FMA in general. Mark Wiley wrote 2 books, Filipino Martial Culture and Filipino Fighting Arts.

It should be pointed out that not everyone thinks highly of Mark Wiley's work. I've heard of claims of bias and stuff. But I've read the first book I mentioned and it's ok. Just read from various sources and make your own conclusions.

If I remember right, Edgar Sulite wrote a book on Filipino Martial Arts but I can't recall the title.

The other FMA related books are mostly about a specific style or system.

19. juramentado

There are already some groups teaching dumog exclusively but most weapons-based FMA styles include dumog as part of their system.

I'm studying Pekiti-Tirsia Kali right now after studying aikido for a number of years.

Arnis (by which I presume modern arnis) is just one of probably hundreds of styles of FMA in the country, some of which are still being taught only to clan members. Here's a list of FMA schools in Metro Manila.

http://www.soapbox.101.com/fmalist

FMA is not just sticks and I'm glad that you've got an interest in dumog. Unfortunately, to most Filipinos in the country, FMA is just sticks and they don't study it long enough to understand the depth of FMA's technical foundation.

Some styles have more stick techniques and less of the rest, like knife techniqes and empty hand techniques. Others have it the other way around, with more knfie and empty hand applications than other styles.

After you get a taste of FMA at school, I suggest you go further and investigate the other styles in the list. You will find a verydiverse culture of Filipino fighting system. Just keep learning and help keep FMA alive.

:)

20. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi Saikyou,

I think we are saying the same things.

I can honestly say that in over 22 years of training, every single person I've met in the FMA have acknowledged the fact that the Philippines is the home of whatever style they are studying that comes under that umbrella. As Juromentado says, there are so many different styles of FMA, many of them being family systems that see little exposure outside of their own immediate environment let alone the west. I also agree with him when he says that the interest amongst the younger generations in the Philippines is minimal. There have been and continues to be attempts to reverse this by introducing Arnis into the school curriculums but from what I've seen and heard it doesn't seem to be making much progress. I think the problem may stem from the fact that the majority of instructors teaching it in the colleges there have only done short courses on Arnis and have only been exposed to a small percentage of the art rather than someone who has a history and fuller understanding of it. Certainly from the few people I've spoken to there who have studied in college they haven't been impressed with it enough to persue their training beyond the classroom - which is a real pity. I wish you luck and success in your training and that in time Arnis receives the recognition it deserves in its homeland as a truely wonderfull art.