FMA for a new guy

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pieman, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

And what's to stop me from applying the same logic to you attempting to classify a counter-attack as a block?

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Show me. Really your being evasive again. I have read every single post here word for word. And I don't know how to put it any better.

I want to see you do it under pressure to prove to me that you don't use blocks. You not anyone else who has a video out there of a practice session you with an equally or better skilled sparring partner going at it in real time under real pressure.

Or are you just all about theory and perspective?

3. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

For the last time.

How the hell am I supposed to do that when you choose to call something a block, that I DON'T call a block?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Kagete, calm down.

It's a discussion and if you can't keep it civil then I suggest you don't post.

5. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I am perfectly calm, I assure you.

6. Pat OMalley

Not at all I know my skills it's all over the web for everyone to see. Plain as day. And I'm comfortable with my own abilities. Don't get me wrong I'm always striving to improve them but I'm comfortable with them.

It's your abilities if you want me to be brutally honest I'm questioning because as I have said over and over. Fine in theory but in practice well that I would like to see because I know from experience theory is all well and good right up to the point of contact.

So please prove me wrong I want to learn.

7. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

And me having acknowledged that fact on several occasions doesn't account for anything?

8. Pat OMalley

Show me a video of YOU and a sparring partner of equal or better ability sparring under pressure and you NOT using blocks.

9. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Let's say I were to do that, and during the course of the video you could see me deflecting an incoming strike with a payong. You would then still be referring to it as a block, whereas I would not. What then? Do you honestly not see the circular logic at work here?

10. Simon

Then avoid the passive aggressive bold type.

11. Simon

Plenty of other FMA instructors and senior/experienced students here who can an opinion.

12. Pat OMalley

Until you actually do it who's to say whether its a deflection or a block?

Up until that point it's all good in theory but that's where it stops. It's just theory. So please show me.

13. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Well, like I said, I would not attempt to impose the terminology of the style(s) I practice on other systems. If you're asking whether I've sparred full contact with sticks, then yes. As of right now I don't have any way of proving that to you. I can only hope that my acknowledging of the fact that things don't always go as planned would give you at least some sort of hint.

14. Pat OMalley

I'm questioning your side of the debate and all I have at the moment is your word on it. Sorry but I don't take anyone's word on it till I see it and do it for myself. Even the instructors I train with will tell you that and my own students will tell you I tell them never to take my word for it. Go try it and find out for yourself.

So no your word is not evidence enough that you are correct. Show me then I will believe you.

15. Pat OMalley

And yes you do have a way of proving it too me. Film it. If you haven't got a camera or a smart phone I'm sure you know someone who has.

16. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Correct on what? What to call techniques within the system of PTK?

17. Pat OMalley

God sake man. Correct on YOUR perception. You. Not your shadow. Not even Jesus Christ Almighty. You.

Show me a video of you under pressure practicing what you preach.

18. Pat OMalley

Prove to me YOU know what your talking about

19. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Perception of *WHAT*?

I have already told you, if you want to call a payong a block, how would a video of me performing one under pressure change that fact?

20. Pat OMalley

Your being evasive again. So am I right in assuming you can't actually show us then? You can't practice what you preach? Then how can your opinion be taken seriously?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.