FMA fitness

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by absolutenewb, Jan 10, 2004.

1. absolutenewb

absolutenewb New Member

Hey guys,
    i'm going to look into Kali as a beginner whose never done any martial arts whatsoever. What emphases are there (sport, spiritual etc) and what kind of fitness work could i do to compliment training. Is training also the kind of stuff I can do at home by myself as well as attending classes?

Thanks

2. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Kali i.e. escrima or arnis (also called Filipino Martial Arts or FMA, but there are other systems outside of the forementioned three that are also FMA) generally emphasizes practical weapons and empty hand application and not a lot on sports and spirituality. Some styles have more tournaments than others but that's about the extend of sports in FMA.

Fitness training to complement will depend on how the class is taught and the goals of the system. Some classes are taught at a faster pace and this will be quite a workout. So it depends on who's teaching and how it's taught.

After you have a firm understanding of the basics and can do them without learning bad habits, you can supplement your classes with home training. You can work on strikes and hit a target at home to gain confidence. But keep in mind that home training is just to help you along; it's not a substitute for the guidance of a instructor.

hope that helps...:)

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Probably the most useful physical training for a beginner is to build up callouses on your hands. Stick work especially will lead to blisters at first (on the inside of you thumb and typically at each of the the base knuckles on the inside of you palms. The faster you can get to replacing those blister's with callouses, the happier you will be.

What especially sucks is when you slack (like me) and have lapsed in your practice you get to go through this cycle all over again!

Good luck with the studies.

- Matt

4. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello,

When looking to improve your fitness level, first look to where you feel you may be the weakest. I would suggest, increasing your total conditioning level, while implementing basic techniques into the exercises.

Examples:
    1) Jogging while practicing your striking
    2) Free squat/Hindu squat while practicing sinawali
    3) Skipping rope
    4) Target striking

Lot's more, but I would have to know what type of condition you are in, and what specifically you are looking to improve.

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com
    www.Bujinkandojo.net

5. absolutenewb

absolutenewb New Member

Hey there,

I'm looking to improve reaction times and be quicker to the punch as they say. Generally more agility and faster movement is my goal. Let me know what ya think!

Mick

6. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello again,

Each of these drills can be started without any weapons in your hands, but I would recommend that you take each drill and add a combination of single or double stick strikes in each one.

Over and Under - Set up a rope or long pole about 18 - 24 inches off the floor. Starting on one side of the pole jump up and over it, when you touch down immediately flatten out and scoot under the pole. You should end up on the same side that you started from. You can also do this drill with a partner as in leap frog and then go between their legs and repeat.

Bob and Weave (aka: The Rocky drill) - Set up a rope or pole at a height comfortable for you to be able to bob and weave under. Each time coming up with two uppercut punches.

The Dice - Place 5 spots on the floor in the pattern you would see on the #5 from a die. Standing on one leg, hop from spot to spot. This is a great drill for leg conditioning, cardiovascular work as well as footwork.

One legged stand - This is a very basic drill in which you stand on one leg. Now to gain more from this drill close your eyes and count to 30 then repeat on the opposite side.

Mogul jump - Place a line on the floor about 6 - 8 feet long. Keeping your knees slightly bent, jump from one side to the next as if you are skiing down a mogul run. This is a great leg conditioning and reflex enhancing drill.

Since the speed to which you are referring to is also combination of perception and reaction to a stimulus in combat try this drill with a coach.
    Dot drill - Place 5 colored spots in a die pattern on the wall. Your partner calls out a color and you must reach out and touch that particular color with the right or left hand. Then the partner picks two colors or dictates which hand goes to which color.

Variation 1) Set your target up with a random timer/buzzer that is often used in shooting. Then when it goes off you have to hit the target as fast as you can.

Another great overall speed enhancer is “the sprint” . Utilize a 50, and 100 yard dash in a series of sprint (50 or 100) walk 20 yards, and repeat. For a beginner I would recommend two sets of 100 yard sprints, or 4 X 50 yard sprints. This will not only increase your cardiovascular conditioning, but enhance your explosiveness off the line in a fight.

I have approximately 80 training drills up on my website that you can take and have fun with. They should give you a great start to training! (These only scratch the surface...) Later this spring you will see some of them in video clips as well.

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net