flying kicks for self defense?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by shotokanwarrior, Nov 29, 2003.

1. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

shotokanwarrior here....
    are the flying kicks any good for self defense in the street or are they just flashy competition moves?

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Dunno.

I'm speechless. :D

3. shotokanwarrior

why? did i use too many long words?

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Must have been that yeah!

Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

My mother swears by Flying kicks, but then she did do Ballet for years.

6. xubis

xubis New Member

rofl, flying kicks are bad imo, take way to long to get up, and once you are you are not in control of you momentum, what was that film where that guy tried a flying side kick, the guy caught his leg and sent him to the pavement.

7. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Wasn't there a similar thread about twirly kicks?

Or did I dream that?

Anyway, I'll say the same thing, both have a place if performed correctly at the right oppurtunity.

The trouble is that most people don't practice using them in sparring because they can't make them work, and they can't make them work because they don't practice them in sparring...

8. Kenshi

Kenshi New Member

ya dude flying kicks are a defanet no no in the street your better of grabbing a 2 x 4 or something

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

As a kicker, the flashier they are, the less useful they are, IMO.

10. Disciple

Disciple New Member

i think, given the situation, they can be practically applied. For example, your advisary is cahrging you from 20 yds, you have take a step forward to intercept his face when he brings a 2x4 out and prepares to swing at your legs. What can you do? flying side kick to the face.

I suppose they are kicks that can contain the element of surprise. I guess there may be reasons to perform a sideariel kick or an jump backflipkick. I don't know hwy, but there may be. Perhaps you watn to overcome an obstacle between you an the attacke and you are otheriwse trapped.

The thing with a flying kick is, however, the moment you are in flight, you lose momentum and mobility, so under normal circumstances... eh, I wouldn't.

11. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Keep your stick on the ice, I always say.

Rob

(If it ain't broke, you're not really trying)

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Thats good Kosokun! I'll use that analogy in class.

13. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I have actuall used one in!

I was chasing someone who vandalised my mates car - he had a nice BMW!

As the evil guys (3 in total) were running from the scene myself I was chasing him the main one was a big fat guy and he was a slower runner than his mates as he looked over his shoulder he saw me gaining and then stopped.

POW - Jump kick tried and worked. Suprised but he went a long way. Bit OTT for the situation although I knew he was gonna attack me as he could not run.

Can't understand why he did the damage to my mates car but he was fined and had to pay for the repairs as he could not run and a doorman of the near by bar called the cops!

When asked I said I barged into him and he fell over - he was not hurt much (due to beer armor) but went a hell of a way as my shot was in his chest area.

One and only time used! - RESULT

14. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Flying kicks for self defense?

Unless you like the showboat stuff in all honesty leave this stuff for the films and those who have big heads and no brains. Given that we no longer live in the past ie pre 19th circa, then leave it alone. How many people have you seen including yourself used or have used tobi geri's or any other flashy high kicks in a telephone box or a toilet cubicle? none...the case rests with the jury.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

15. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

BAD , sure there's the cool jumping then comes the falling bleeding, pain. looks good in dojo/tourny's but in the dynamic of a real fight it will get you hurt.

16. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

That's a really good point. If you can't successfully apply a technique in a controlled environment like your training hall, for goodness sake don't try it when the chips are really down. On the other hand, if flying kicks work for you then by all means keep them in your repertoire.

There is a technique for every situation, and a situation for every technique. The art is in figuring out how to put the two together.

17. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I'll use one if the other guy isn't looking. Say, for example, he's buying a soda from the vending machine, and I notice with my razor sharp vision that the sold out light comes on after dispensing what turns out to be the last Dr. Pepper.

It's flying kick time.

Make sure to land it before he opens the Dr. Pepper, or all is lost.

18. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Are you crazy??

That flying kick will probably knock that Dr. Pepper out of his hands, shaking it up something fierce! Better sneak up on him with your cat-like grace and drop him with a knife-hand to the neck, catching the can before it hits the ground.

Otherwise, you'll ruin your gi! Sheesh!

19. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

20. shotokanwarrior

a flying kick just because he gets then last Dr Pepper? please, tell me you're bull****ting.
    shotokanwarrior.