Floyd vs Manny to happen in September

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jan 2, 2014.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Frankly, after all this tangoing over this, the denial isn't surprising.

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Floyd is going to do nothing to help arum make money and vice versa. Manny could always go free agent and the fight could then be made.

3. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

I'll believe it when it happens. I still wish to see this very badly (Although I think it would've been better in 2008-2010), but have hard time believing that this will ever happen.

4. Saved_in_Blood

Roger Mayweather has said that khan was more of a draw... I lol'd at that, but either way with him saying that.. that's who I guess it will be. I've very disappointed in Floyd for taking this fight and with 4 fights left on his contract it does absolutely nothing to solidify his legacy.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Agreed. Would love GGG...but, reaching a bit in size? LOL. I don't think Floyd want any of that hard hitting 160 pounder.

[​IMG]

I've heard talk of Golovkin going to 168. Also heard of Canelo moving to middle, which would put him in someone's neighborhood...

[​IMG]

6. Saved_in_Blood

Watch the first 5 rounds of that Rosado fight... Golovkin was missing and taking a lot of pretty good shots. At 168 vs. Ward he will (as I've said before), be picked apart. He was recently knocked down in sparring actually.. and he's never been down as an amateur or pro IIRC.

7. belltoller

Oh yes, I know. A lot of that tomato juice was Golovkin's! LOL. But as far as being knocked down in sparring - you hear that from time to time regarding fighters; supposedly being leaked out of their camps.

Wasn't that said about Mayweather, at some point? Maybe it was another fighter, just can't remember who exactly...

Anyroads, you may be right regarding Ward.

I think a lot of these blokes have jumped on a fad - moving around in weight classes as if they were changing seats on a bus. Successfully doing it requires a lot more than people realise.

Everything has to line up right and the fighter's need a natural physiology that is tolerant to it, and even though I really don't think, on the surface of it, GGG is going to have that much of a problem, I was surprised when I saw his pose next to Canelo's.

I'd just thought he'd look a bit...larger.

Errr...touchy laptop keyboard...

Gonna say that the looney way its gone; no one in Ward's division really left and those that are don't seem to be all too keen on him - for some strange reason.

Its getting almost to that point with GGG, but not quite to the extent as it has with Ward.

The "talk" regarding GGG going up to 168 (solely to meet Ward) isn't likely to be from Golovkin's camp but rather the big PPV Providers and Ward himself who needs a big name like Golovkin's to bring in the buys.

A match made in ... Ward's banker's office

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. Saved_in_Blood

Perhaps some of the rumors could actually be true? According to Roach the fight is "closer than ever"

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news...quiao-mayweather-fight-qcloser-now-than-everq

The five-time Boxing Writers Association of America Trainer of the Year Freddie Roach is as optimistic as he's ever been that a superfight between his guy Manny Pacquiao, the Congressman from the Phillipines, and Floyd "Money" Mayweather, can be put together.

Roach, during a chat from his Wild Card Gym in California, told me that he's quite hopeful that an arrangement can be worked out which would put Pacquiao, the 35-year-old hitter who looked stellar in his last outing, which came Nov. 23 against Brandon Rios, in with Mayweather, who is due to fight twice this year, in May and September.

"I think we're closer and closer to a Mayweather fight," the 53-year-old Massachusetts native told me. "It's only rumors now, but I think the rumors will come true. I don't think either Manny or Mayweather has anywhere else to go."

Mayweather recently reiterated, on the website FightHype, his demand that Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum, who promoted Floyd from 1996-2006, not be part of any promotion. Arum has a deal with Pacman through 2014, so that proves a sticking point if you want to see Manny-Money this year. I asked Roach about that hurdle.

"Manny has time left in his contract but I think if he calls Bob and tells Bob what he wants, and that's Mayweather," Roach said, "Bob will give him what he wants, Bob will let him go do that fight."

That said, it doesn't seem to me to be a smart move from a business standpoint for Arum to let Manny walk, even for the good of the game. I pointed that out to Freddie. "Bob's gonna get paid," he stated.

Roach said that because Mayweather today stands taller as a revenue generator, the superfight would possibly land on the platform Mayweather calls home, Showtime-CBS. He said Showtime needs a marquee name to spur pay-per-view sales, to meet Floyd's fat guarantee, and that means Manny. "They can't pay that money for Amir Khan," he said, referring to his former client, who has been rumored to be the leading candidate to meet Mayweather in May. "I'm being optimistic that a Manny-Mayweather fight is closer now than ever."

I told Roach again I just don't see how Arum the businessman could justify letting Manny walk, if indeed that September Mayweather date could be set aside for the superfight. "You've got to give the fans what they want and most important, you as the promoter have to give the fighter what he wants," Roach said.

"I think Arum being the promoter and the professional that he is, will give Manny that fight. I like that September date, I'm pushing for it," the trainer stated. "I'm gonna call Manny this afternoon... all he has to do is call Bob, tell him who he wants, Mayweather, and I think it'll get done."

9. karl52

karl52 openminded

many v floyd bout time

10. belltoller

Ahhh...it may happen eventually but I think there's gonna be more run-about before it does.

That is unless Mayweather begins thinking a bit too much about the Khan fight and starts feeling guilty.

11. Saved_in_Blood

I like Floyd... in the ring I like Floyd that is. From an unbiased view though, as I said... unless Khan were to lose, but go forward and beat multiple elite fighters, this will be a real blow to Floyd's legacy. Granted right now I realize that there are not a whole lot of options for Floyd as far as fights go... and the same can be said for Manny.

If Cotto does not beat Sergio, but looks good even in a loss, I would look for Floyd to possibly look into a fight with Martinez. If he goes as high as 160 and fights him there, that would give his legacy a major boost back IMO... at 154? Well, Sergio I don't think would be drained, but it wouldn't mean as much as to win the title at 160... and no catchweight crap either.

12. belltoller

As well as Ward, and for sake of argument, Golovkin - though he does still have some room in the division, its inevitable.

Hmmm...a Super Mega Monster brewing? Mayweather/Pacman headline a super-packed card including Ward/GGG...

13. puma

puma Valued Member

We can dream! Although I still think that would be a fairly easy night for both Mayweather and Ward to be honest.

14. Saved_in_Blood

With Manny in big tax trouble... look for that fight to happen sooner than later. I believe he owes (so says the Filipino government) 2.2P billion. He's just paid 1 million I read today or yesterday. A shame that arum and koncz have both screwed him. Manny had hired a firm a few years ago and they had said something about his finances being screwed up, though I cannot remember exactly what it was.

15. puma

puma Valued Member

I know I wrote something similar on the Holyfield thread, but I'll say it again. How the hell do these guys get themselves in such financial trouble? Surely someone looks after their finances? Doesn't anybody tell them about potential problems before they happen? And how much has Pacquiao earned in his career? How can it go wrong? I never understand that sort of thing.

16. belltoller

Unfortunately, this occurs quite often. sport men are notorious for being sitting ducks for these Shysters in a bowler.

Many of these - especially the old school fighters - lacked the basic education to see past the smooth, forked tongues of their advisors and managers.

There's also a 'live-hard, die young' mindset that plays into the excessive spending.

17. puma

puma Valued Member

I guess you're right. It is still hard to believe you can go through hundreds of millions though. There is lacking basic education - then there is being bloody stupid! I mean, people say about Tyson being manipulated, but come on. You can't feel sorry for someone spending to such excess and then wondering where it all went. And he is meant to be "street wise." I get the "live hard, die young attitude" you mention, but there has to be a point where you think, "Hang on a minute. This lot is disappearing a bit quicker than I anticipated. I better slow down or do something about it!". But then again, I never have, or ever will be, in that position, so I will probably never understand.

18. belltoller

Have you had a chance to see "Being Mike Tyson" teley programme? One can see some of the mindset that leads to this.

Nor I. Lucky us...

19. Saved_in_Blood

for Manny it's 2 names arum and koncz...

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/46499-pacquiao-wealth-michael-koncz

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/manny-pacquiao-hires-vision-quest-to-handle-boxing-contracts/

this will explain most of it for Manny.

20. puma

puma Valued Member

No I haven't. Actually it was on Fox last night, but I don't get Fox!:( Why it isn't on ITV or something I don't know. Anything with Tyson in it will get good viewing figures here in England.