Flight skills

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Prizewriter, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

We all say on here when self defence questions come up a key skill are flight/escape skills. We don't really talk about how much, if any, training we do for flight.

How many people here run? Do you sprint of just jog?

Does anyone climb (e.g. mountaineering)?

Dare I even ask, has anyone any parkour/free running experience?

2. simondavies1978

simondavies1978 New Member

No but I think I probably should, I hope that by using avoidance and awareness I should never have any real issue. Man the thought of having to sprint at my age just sounds like torn ligaments without a warm up.

Second question how once we hit late 30-40's do we manage to just book it without warm up?

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I run 10k twice a week. I tend to keep pace steady but terrain mixed ie hills, grass, concrete. I always sprint the last stretch (200 meters) as a test of mental fortitude.

Climbing looks good. I'm also about to start swimming. I think parkour or even good old fashioned gymnastics would be quality but you've got to have a life outside being a badass weapon haven't you? ;)

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Tactical ibuprophen.

5. simondavies1978

Injectable right into the eyeball - that should dissuade any thug!

It is a consideration though the ability to not be able to get away, I am never going to outsprint most people and wont our run anyone over a distance due to some health issues.

For those who can, I would say the Parkour training would be invaluable, those guys are explosive, fast and able to clear obstacles in a way that would leave most people in the dust. (but if you got it wrong you end up on the floor getting stomped on)

6. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I never think about escape strategies or train for them. Basically i use my self awarenes and know my surroundings.

Running just wears out your shoe leather. I also don't go looking for trouble and for some reason it seems not to find me. If i am in the position of landing in trouble i will instinctively strike and what happens will happen. If i am outnumbered ill use some sort evasive tactic but i certainly don't train to evade.

Maybe it's a failing on my part. I'm pretty comfortable and rarely get rattled , it could happen but i don't worry too much about it and my general fitness is good so no need to train to evade in my opinion for me personally.

Baza

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

do 10 sun salutations every morning. i'm 44. i warm up before bjj, but not really that much. don't have any problems. i just do my yoga.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have done park our previously. You can get by with three or four vaults. Everything else is just showing off.

My dad gave me some golden advice about running away. Run through gardens, floor the first guy that comes over behind you. Rinse and repeat. Lots of things lying around in gardens too so that helps.

9. simondavies1978

Going to start practicing running though gardens.

10. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Been doing parkour for about a decade or so. For pure fluid movement that would be useful in escaping I'd agree with Chadderz on needing only a few vaults, heck most of the time you can get by with just kong, lazy and speed vaults. One thing that pk does give you that's useful is an adaptable mindset when it comes to terrain. When you've drilled your body enough on how it can move and be applied, just like drilling techniques, it becomes second nature.

Side note, even training for freerunning and focusing on the tricking is a fantastic workout. Pound for pound I'd say gymnasts are probably among the strongest athletes around.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

What is park our? :star::)

Yes, in my youth, whenever the fight was going to the other side, we would run.

Now, as you get up in my age, you do not need to

My dad's advice; If you don't run your mouth, you don't have to run"