Flexibility in groin at bottom of Goblet Squat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pkhamidar2com, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

So when i do a Goblet squat, i can reach ass to grass. My ass is at the lowest point where tension still remains and i don't have much more ROM before im basically resting, and i dont have a butt wink anymore either.

Problem is i feel this stretch in the groin area, it doesn't feel good. Its usually where my knee angle is 30 degree or less. In other words near the end of the range of motion

I am a beginner in terms of goblet/weighted squats (previously did a lot of pistol squats). However I heard greater range of motion is better. Since at home i don't have a lot of weight at the moment, and because the greater the range of motion the harder it is to lift a certain amount of weight, i thought it would be better if i increased the range of motion.

The feel in the groin near the bottom, i believe its due to flexibility. Is there anything you recommend to increase that flexibility?

I know of some groin stretches i would do daily for when I used to do TSD, would that benefit?

Also have seen the stretch where you sit at the bottom of a squat and then you push out the knees with elbows. But that is a static stretch, and I learned that static stretches without a warm up can in it self cause tears and strains.

So what do you recommend in terms of warming up the groins and dynamic stretches maybe, for the goblet squats?

Thank you

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Don't beat yourself up if you can't go as low as some on youtube. I've been watching a lot of versions of the goblet squat. RKC Kettlebell instructors would say it has to be ATG but below parallel is okay too. I find my knees wobble a little just at the parallel point if going slowly so it has to be below. I've used resistance bands in warmup, looped around my shoulders and a bar overhead so that in the deepest part of bodyweight squat I have something pulling me more upright. This allows me to concentrate more on the knee position and depth.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7-HLtOglfM&feature=related"]Dan John: Goblet Squat - YouTube[/ame]

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[​IMG]

where, exactly?

also, hip joints have a natural limit to their ROM, so you might just be feeling tissue compression from this instead of actual tightness. that said, i like isometric squat stretches. squat, tighten up, breathe in and hold, breathe out and relax. you should naturally drop a couple of cm (careful not to flex the spine, though).

4. Pkhamidar2com

Well i did them today, at first i was using less ROM, i was still below parallel, similar to what you saw in that video i linked in that other thread.

But as i increased the weight, i thought, why not go lower. But then i felt something in the groin. Its probably just pulled, and i have had these types of things before so i know they will go away with the normal procedure. But after that i stopped ASAP, i know from experience (unfortunately) what happens if i push through it.

About locating where it is. I cant really tell with that picture. But, well its basically in line with where the testicles are when the skin is all relaxed (yes this is quite disgusting but cant think of another way of explaining it).

From what i can gather from the picture, im guessing its adductor or gracillis.

http://screenshooter.net/9824576/jwkfxdf

from another image, this is the best i can locate.

About that isometric squat stretch, is that where you just take a normal stance and hold that position, but body weight, while trying to open up the groins?

5. Fish Of Doom

6. Pkhamidar2com

wait i thought isometric means static so you stay in aa position but in those goblet squats you were dynamic.

I think that its more the other muscle. the gracillis.

thanks so far fish :)

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Not sure I fully get what's the issue, but i'be been doing the 'squat down push out your knees with your elbows' before squatting since I first squatted and never had an issue, just done hold it for as long.

I also like mountain climbers too as I get a similar tightness to you (I think lol) and they loosen me up so a lot, first couple of reps are horrible though!

8. Pkhamidar2com

I think it was tightness, the feeling is gone if i warm up the groins and do a few stretches, like dynamic stretches and the pushing of the knees with elbows.

Ill try the mountain climbers though, thanks for the suggestion :)

9. Fish Of Doom

just remembered this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY"]Super Squat Hip Sequence pre-workout - YouTube[/ame]

you guys might find it interesting.

10. seiken steve

that vid is pure gold fishy. got it saved from the last time you put it up.

remember with the mountainclimbers that its not like the fitness ones you did in PE at school, you want your feet landing flat outside your hands and your hips pushing toward the floor.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

They're one of the things my physio recommended for me to do to help with my knee issue and stretch things out.

12. Pkhamidar2com

thanks Steve :)

you were correct I was going to do those fitness ones they taught me haha. but i see the ones you do are more for a stretch which makes sense.

didn't think that video was that good. was going to save it for tomorrow but might aswell try it out today

13. seiken steve

The bloke is really annoying but his work is pretty solid.

Yeah lol, when I was recommended Them I did them like I was in PT, I couldn't see what the fuss was about lol. Can't seem to find a video on YouTube of people doing them the way I mean though.

EDIT: this guys alright: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuKbxHQaMtI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Dynamic Warm Up - Mountain Climbers - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012