Flexibility exercise for this specific karate movement

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dr azebo, May 27, 2019.

1. dr azebo

dr azebo New Member

Hi All,

Due to my lack of flexibility I am struggling to achieve the following technique as shown here by Sensei Kagawa

I have a hard time opening my hips without my knee getting pulled in as he demonstrates.

Can anyone suggest specific flexibility exercises which would help with this particular movement? I believe it would also help me overall with my stances.

Thank you in advance,
    -a

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm sure we can help.

Where specifically do you feel the tightness?

3. dr azebo

dr azebo New Member

Hello, so the tension is definitely in the hip area as I try opening the hips and also on the front knee which keeps buckling inward as I try to open up more.

Hope this helps.

Simon likes this.
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have a student with the same issue.

I'm a big same of this type of mobility drills.

I prefer them over your old school stretching methods you see in most clubs.

Stephanie Anneliese Rose (@steph.rose.phase6) • Instagram photos and videos

I tell my students they don't need to be able to do the splits, but they do need hip mobility.

The BJJ guys have some nice drills and it's worth doing some You Tube searches.

axelb likes this.
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Without seeing you move, it sounds like you have weakness in your hip abductors.

I like simple exercises similar to these for that (if you notice, these exercises also resemble kicking in slow motion, which is another good way of building strength, especially in the stabiliser muscles of the supporting leg):

aaradia and axelb like this.
  6. dr azebo

dr azebo New Member

Than you for the videos. The first video seems doable but the second one looks quite technical ( at least for me). I can give a shot.

Simon likes this.
  7. dr azebo

dr azebo New Member

Thank you for that, I do something like this already through dynamic stretching for side kicks , raising my leg to the side of my body . In addition I am doing the isometric split program, I assume they all kind of fall in line with that what you are recommending, is this correct?

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yes, that's right. How do your hips feel after doing those exercises?

9. dr azebo

dr azebo New Member

Well right after I am kind of ok, but the next day and the following day sometimes quite sore. In fact the isometric programs leaves me always sore to some extent.

I will continue that though it appears to me that maybe butterfly stretches would be helpful as they really are focused on opening the hips but I am obviously clueless :)