Flat earthers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is on topic and has dinosaurs. all for you.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Whether or not what I write is "music" might be subjective, but I've been a guitarist for over a quarter of a century and I studied music composition at university... including tuning systems.

I won't derail the thread too much, but a lot of what people consider to sound "in tune" is subjective, and changes across different times and cultures.

If you are really interested in going down this rabbit hole, here are some links to get you started:

Pythagorean comma - Wikipedia

Musical tuning - Wikipedia

Pseudo-octave - Wikipedia

When people play, for instance, Bach on piano today, it doesn't sound like it did when Bach played it, because our tuning systems have changed!

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Don't be so humble then. You said "The science behind music tuning systems is actually a messy and complicated business." Apparently, it's not really that messy or complicated to either of us. I really do hate it when people make music sound like the Dark Arts. 4/4 timing and celestial motion go hand in hand, in my opinion. To argue otherwise is to suggest that music isn't universal concept, and I believe it is. Check this out: Music of the Heavens Turns Out to Sound a Lot Like a B Flat B Flat, right? It made sense, at the time I read it.

Last edited: May 6, 2018