Fixed weight progression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Roual, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

I haven't seen this covered much here, and have seen people asking about various exercises and routines, but no-one seems to have asked about weight progression.

I know that when using a variable weight set (something like an oly set) that you should try and increase the weight you lift each time even if by a little. The problem I have is that the gym I go to only has fixed weight weights (before anyone suggests it, going to another gym isn't an option, the rest are worse, and I have no room to set up a home gym).

The only things that I can think of are increasing the reps by one each time, or doing stop start reps.

Has anyone else come across any good ways of progressing using fixed weights?

2. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

to increase resistance you could try changing the leverage or do variations of exercises e.g one handed deadlifts.

increasing rep range is an option, but once you get over the 6-8 range you are losing many of the strength benefits.

what fixed weights are they and what kind of exercises are you doing?

3. Adam Willington

Adam Willington Valued Member

How about this: if for example, you are doing 3 sets of however many reps, for the first two sets use your normal weight and then for the last set use the next heaviest weight. Do this until you feel comfortable and then use the heavier weight for the last two sets; repeat until you can use the heavier weight for all of your sets.

4. Roual

Ok, bear in mind here that I'm still not 100% so just lifting a little to get back into it (excuses excuses :) ).

The dumbells are along the lines of 10kg, then going up in 2.5kg jumps, barbells are rather bad, they go something like (in kg) 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. So what I can lift as maximum is completely limited, the heaviest dumbells are a pair of 30kg ones.

I'm attempting military press, deadlift, front squat (thinking about pistols though, front squats make my back ache), bent over rows, occasionally bench.

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

The increments in weight are bearable, you could work upto 8 or so reps and then pick the next weight. Should drop down to maybe 3? And then start the process again.

Although with the biggest dumbells 30kg I'd be setting up a home gym with Olympic weights by now! ;)

6. Roual

Believe me, if I had the room, I'd be a squatting deadlifting monster by now :)

7. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

okay here's a few ideas.

Vary the tempo of an exercise, slow negatives etc.

Vary the exercises to make them more difficult - sots press instead of the military press, overhead squat for legs, one legged DL's.

Incorporate snatches - 30kg DB snatches aren't to be sniffed at.

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i think dumbells are really the only useful tool and, even then, 30kg will only last you so long. unilateral work may be the key. snatches (as kenwen said), one armed DB overhead squats, one handed military etc alongside you straight forward lifts.