Five Animals Qi Gong

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by New Guy, Mar 15, 2009.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Hmm I don't know all I can say is "WTF"?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTwmQPx5Re8"]YouTube - The Art of Chinese Qi Gong (The Art of Chinese Kung Fu)[/ame]

Are they mimicking animals while doing Qi Gong?

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Well, it's not the qigong I would do!

3. ArmyCombatives

ArmyCombatives Valued Member

Qi Gong is a relaxation exersice, along with forms of meditation. There are sounds involved in Qi Gong, those are the noises you hear. What you see there is traditional Qi Gong. It has been watered down over the years in the states. It is excellent for breathing and muscle relaxation. Just thought I would share.

Respects

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Qi Gong is not a relaxation excercise. It is primarily about aligning the structure of the body correctly in accordance with strict principles. Zhang Zhong is the first step..once body alignment is achieved, the posture is held whilst the body is constantly mentally scanned for tension or holding. Then one can move on to moving QiGong (TaiJiQuan empty form frames). Unfortunately, very few teachers teach any of this correctly.

I disagree it has been watered down in the USA or anywhere else for that matter, you have to seek out the traditional teacers though.

One of the purposes of QI Gong is muscle relaxation, but not in a vacant minded way...it is done with intent.

It is also difficult to find teachers who know all the different breathing systems that should be learnt.

5. ArmyCombatives

I respectfully have to disagree, I never said it was in a "Vacant-Minded" sense. And you are correct, it is hard to find some-one that can teach it properly. Honestly, you have your opinion, which I respect, and I have mine. Nothing says we have to fully agree. Qi-Gong is used for breathing and Power, but it is also used for relaxation and focus. I will have to respectfully agree to dis-agree.

Respects

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I agree to disagree with you on this :)

Qi Gong is my passion and I get on my soap box from time to time...so appologies if I gave any offence to you.

Best regards.

7. ArmyCombatives

Not really my thing, have done it a few times, but the focus of power and breathing. Respects to you and your passion.

Respects

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Doesn't it really depend on the type/purpose of ch'i gung being practiced?

Not all cg methods even contain standing practice,and not all cg teachers teach standing.To say it starts with that is a bit of a blanket statement.Same w/the statement re muscular relaxation.

What you say re structure is certainly true for noi gung practice,structural integrity being a prerequisite for power development exercises.(Many of which pay no special attention to breathing methods).

9. chof

chof Valued Member

you are all right qi gong is reverse breathing in moving qi through the body, some of the benefits many, focus, relaxation, speed, cordination, awareness , increased senses, power, autonomy, what qi gong does is create an automatic intelligence within the body controlloing the breathing calms the nervous system and speeds up synapse connection from neurons, it is linked to the prefrontal cortex in the brain, therefore the mind with no mind you have heard about, without performing qi gong you will never reach the ultimate level in martial arts, this is what the true internal aspect of martial arts is based on