fitness instructors?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tang_sou_dao, Sep 7, 2004.

1. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

This is to all the gym instructors, fitness instructors etc. :
    What do you have to do to be a fitness/gym instructor?
    How long did the training take?
    How old was you when you started to train for it?
    How much was it?

just left school and wondering if i have made the right choice or if i am just delaying myself by staying on at 6th form.

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

It took me two years (full time at college) because my course included, gym instruction, circuit training, sports nutrition, massage and pretty much everything needed to work in many areas of the fitness industry. Check out the ymca as they are the main people for fitness qualifications.

I was 19
    It was pretty much free because it was at college

3. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

4. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

1. you just need to be interested in what you are doing and be prepared to put in a bit of work.a background in fitness/physical activity(eg MA) will be of great use.Make sure the course you pick is well recognised,you will put in a lot of time and probably a lot of money so make sure it is the real deal.

2. It took me from oct 03-may 04,thats exams and all so about 7 months/1 academic year.My course was weekends only(fri,sat,sun).there was no massage and not a whole lot on nutrition in the course.we done circuits,resistance training,aerobics,step aerobics,body conditioning.other subjects were anatomy and physiology,lifestyle managment(exercise for elderly,children,injured,pregnancy etc),fitness testing,first aid/cpr and a marketing project.think thats it

3. I was 18 when the course began

4. Cost for course,exams was €1,725 but this is a private course so they are always pricey.

whats 6th form?is it like repeat leaving cert?
    its a good route to go but keep your options open,you may like the anatomy/physiology side of things and realise that a college course is what you want in this area so have something to fall back on.
    I was lucky,I done a plc(post leaving cert) course to get into college as well as the fitness instructor course ( www.ncefinfo.com ).If that didnt work out I would have been screwed because the course I now have is fairly high in points and I wouldnt have had a hope with my leaving cert results.
    Always be optimistic!

5. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

I'm working to complete a limited certification in Circular Strength Training. I've had an extensive martial arts and physical training background, and have worked hard to master the basics and some advanced aspects of CST and Clubbells.

CST certification is based on training results, mastery of the skills, client assessment, program design, and a few other things. Once you get to the level and attend a certification seminar, it takes 1-3 months of additional work to complete the process.

Overall, I've been practicing CST for 9 months, and it will be another 2-3 weeks before I'm certified.

6. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

so is a sports science degree the way then?

7. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

Have a look at all options in the area and all courses.there are so many to choose from.A degree is a safe option,if you get into it,you have a solid qualification and go where you want and if you want,do a fitness instructors course after,some courses even have a fit instr course as part of the degree.if you do your instructors course,there isnt as many options as regards degrees etc.depends what you want realy.for someone who wants to work in a gym,get into aerobics,classes,personal training,an instructors course is perfect as you can do specialty courses afterwards.
    Id go with the degree,loads of options then.make sure to check out ALL options and know exactly what the course involves and qualifies you for

8. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

I have completed the requirements and am a fully-certified Circular Strength Training Instructor. I will be happy to answer any questions regarding Clubbells and CST. For your convenience, see my web site for information and articles on this fascinating performance enhancement system. To see where I came from, click "About Me" on my web site.

I am proud of the work that went into my certification and I look forward to sharing my particular expertise with you! :)