Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

parkour today, including a bunch of bodyweight stuff, mostly a bit of jumping and some isometric holds, and just did 5x5 one armed pushups. hip flexors aren't ragequitting anymore when i do them, although they still hurt, so the next step is to gain some more core and triceps strength so i can start fixing my arm positioning.

2. hext

hext Valued Member

nice thread fish, out of interest, what have you been doing that has improved your hip flexors the most? Thanks!

3. Fish Of Doom

i would have to say spending less time sitting down :p

also deadlifting.

4. Fish Of Doom

oh, also, weighted in today at 54.3 kg dunno what was up with the prior reading of 55.

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

That's probably just water weight. Nice job on the training, I am pretty interested in the "parkour" stuff you do.

6. Fish Of Doom

gym today:

all the racks were in use when i got there, so i made do with the fixed weight barbells and dumbbells:

barbell bent over row, 3x10 at 30 kilograms

dumbbell deadlift (using a single huge dumbbell), 3x10 at 45 kg

dumbbell lateral raises, 3x10 at 5 kg

didn't do side bends, as i'll leave the core annihilation in the hands of my isometric holds until i can get a bigger and badder deadlift.

after that i used a now-free squat rack and a safety pin to jury rig a way to train my flag a bit, with moderate success (will train it further later today anyway), did 2x5 pullups on a racked oly bar, and then went to the climbing wall for a bit. all in all, i killed my grip so badly i was having trouble changing back into my street clothes :p

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You should have pulled your signature move and run home naked through Oslo! :D :evil:

8. Fish Of Doom

not until it starts snowing

9. Fish Of Doom

so. today's stuff:

gym was crowded, as usual. need to start going earlier.

first of all, allow me to rage at the guy who took forever to complete an entire BODYWEIGHT workout inside the squat rack i wanted to use, only to finish immediately after i went to another rack (upon which i had to go back because the other rack had no collars):

*RAGE*

ok, done. workout:

started with fixed weights as all the racks were taken. did a bit less pulling work and added a bit of pushing as my biceps are completely dead from tuesday's lifting and my lower back wasn't fully ok either. but i digress.

DB side bends: 3x10 at 15 kilos

lateral raises: 5x5 at 7 kilos

BB bent-over rows (i was bored. also because <BEEP> you biceps): 2x10 at 30 kilos and 3x5 at 32.5 kilos

bodyweight dips: 5x5, starting at the top (jumping to get there), and lowering so that my shoulders were well below my elbows.

front squats: 5x5 at 50 kilos. could feel my quads going numb in the last set on these :D

then finished with my usual go along the climbing wall, finally managing to go all the way from one side to the other and then back.

10. Fish Of Doom

also was gonna do bench presses and leave the dips for right at the end, but all of the benches were taken :(

11. Fish Of Doom

ok, today's stuff:

new pet peeve: people asking me if i've finished using a rack when i haven't even started (and in fact only walked up to the rack 5 seconds before them)

lifting:

bent over rows: 3x10 at 32.5 kilos

dumbbell deadlift: 3x5 at 50 kilos

barbell deadlift: 3x5 at 60 kilos

dumbbell side bends: 5x5 at 20 kilos

dumbbell lateral raises: 5x5 at 7 kilos (lacking endurance here)

BW dips: 2x10 and 1x6 (failed mid-7th rep)

then went to the climbing wall for a bit.

12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Strong upper-body day. Dips are fantastic, I can't wait for my deltoid to get a little better so I can start doing them again. They are like squats to the upper body. Great work and thanks for posting. :cool:

13. Fish Of Doom

interestingly, i'm not sore in any significant capacity yet. or perhaps i'm just too sleepy to notice.

14. Fish Of Doom

t3h liftingz0rs:

front squat:

3x5 w/ 50 kg
    3 singles w/ 60 kg (yay >BW front squat. wonder how much i can back squat...)

bent-over rows:

5x5 w/ 40 kg

barbell rollouts (which i can't do with full ROM :( ):

3x5 (ish. barely. maybe)

barbell side bends (awkward as hell, but fun and not grip dependent. weird with an oly bar though, the leverage is very wonky):

1x10 with 20 kg (empty bar)
    2x10 at 30 kg

lateral raises:

5x6 at 7 kg
    (trying to do something like this. will use the 8 kilo dumbbells next workout).

didn't do dips as it was basically closing time by then, so i went to the climbing wall to finish, then bought some chocolate milk and a donut, drank the milk but killed the donut because it looked at me funny.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  15. Frodocious

Nice work on the front squats!

There's a knack to getting side lifts with barbells! I'm doing static suitcase holds with them and you have to get your hand position just right or the balance point doesn't work! :bang:

16. Fish Of Doom

the side bends are gonna be fun once i start getting nearer my own weight. i'm going to lauhg SO hard if i end up falling sideways...

17. Frodocious

We'll be needing videos! :D

18. Fish Of Doom

so. today's stuff:

dumbbell bent over rows (all the squat racks were occupied again, and the fixed weight bars were too light):
    5x5 with two 22.5 kilo dumbbells

dumbbell deadlift (with two dumbbells, in neutral grip):

5x5 with two 27.5 kilo dumbbells

dumbbell side bends:

wonky attempt with 35 kilos, but my grip was way too weak. got 5 reps, then barely got a single

barbell side bends (yay conveniently unoccupied squat rack):

5x5 with 35 kg

lateral raises: still keeping with the 30-rep thing, did 6/6/5/5/5/3 with 8 kilo dumbbells

then went to the climbing wall as usual to finish up

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

We have one squat rack in our gym. I want to pull my hair out if I need it and some idiot is standing there doing set after set of barbell curls. I never mind if someone is using it for squats, good mornings, etc., but bi-cep curls??? And I see way too often.

How is that shoulder of yours doing?

20. Fish Of Doom

shoulder's fine, thanks for asking :). twitches a bit on the climbing wall on some sections, but that's just because of the way i move from handhold to handhold (damn me and my short-arsedness forcing me to move explosively :p. although tbh i purposefully avoid using the concavities in the wall or anything so as to add challenge to it).

we have 4 squat racks, if memory serves, but they're usually all taken when the gym is full. mostly by sane people, thankfully,who squat and deadlift much more than i do, although there WAS one guy doing a bodyweight circuit onit once...