Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

only the hat? you wearing only the hat isn't very likely to get me to concentrate on exercising, you know?

2. Fish Of Doom

and just be glad i don't make comments about the whip :evil:

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Break out the shurikens, Frodo!

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

And those really tiny cycling shorts... :evil:

The aim is for you to be able to concentrate no matter what the distraction... :Angel:

Very restrained of you! Well done!

Way ahead of you! :ninja1:

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Enjoy the construction work, Fish. :evil:

6. Fish Of Doom

works for me :evil:

7. Fish Of Doom

today's lifting

no bagwork because i got to the gym late (tram system SNAFU).

upright rows (will replace with lateral raises as the shoulder pain is still there even with a wide grip)
    2x5 with naked oly bar
    2x5 with bar + 5 kg (i quit here so as not to exacerbate the shoulder thing)

bent over rows
    3x10 with bar + 5 kg

romanian deadlifts
    1x10 with bar + 5 kg
    3x10 with bar + 20 kg

then i did my 2x2 squat stretches with the bar + 20 kg, and 2x1 pistols on each leg while holding a 15 kilo plate, and finished with one sideways run through the climbing wall.

8. Osu FoD,

I would not do upright rows with a painful shoulder. You see, this movement is reducing the acromio clavicular space and you risk impinging (or at least irritating) the tendons that slide through that...

If you cannot wait till your shoulder is GTG, you may want to try incline dumbbell bench, or dumbbell bend over rows

Okay - reading fail... you are planning to replace the upright rows with lat flies...
    Sure, try it... don't go over horizontal and stop if you feel a pain.

Osu!

9. Fish Of Doom

ok, today's stuff (went one day early because i didn't go to parkour on saturday. hamstrings were still sore as late as sunday night :S )

warmed up with a bunch of bagwork (just assorted jabs, crosses, hooks and roundhouse kicks).

skipped the upright rows altogether. gonna add lateral raises but i've somehow buggered my right lateral delt (afaik unrelated to the prior pain, seems more like a mild pull) so didn't do them today.

bent over rows:
    warmed up with 1x10 with the empty oly bar
    did 3x10 with 5 kilos on the bar

romanian deads
    warmed up with bar + 5 kilos
    did 2x10 and 1x9 (grip failed massively, need more endurance) with bar + 20 kilos

back squat
    1x2 with bar + 20 kilos holding the bottom position for a bit
    2x2 with bar + 35 kilos (which is just about my bodyweight right now, i think)

finished with a quick run through the climbing wall, failed about halfway through due to choosing the wrong handhold and fidgeting around while thinking where to move :p

next session, grip and deltoid allowing, i'll add lateral raises and side bends, and in a week or two, if the 3x10 pays off and i can do them without taking excessive strain on my lower back, i'll lay off the romanian deads and start doing normal deads.

10. Frodocious

Woohoo to above bodyweight squatting! :D :happy:

11. Fish Of Doom

yay!

****ed about my grip though. why the hell did it fail now when it didn't fail last session, when i did LESS? :S

edit: less than last session, that is. actually suspecting it might have been ROM

12. Frodocious

Sometime that sort of thing just happens without any apparent reason - it sucks when it does! :bang:

13. Fish Of Doom

indeed it does. i'm seriously suspecting my ROM, as all my other workouts were done mostly inside the rack (some of the gym's racks have fixed safety bars so moronically high i've bumped into them while squatting ATG), so even using a raised platform i either bumped on the safety pins or actually reset every rep, depending on the exercise and on how my technique was at each particular time. here i just did all of the sets outside the rack, which likely strained my grip a lot more.

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Good stuff. I use straps on deadlifts when my grip starts to fail (nothing wrong with them IMHO, although there are those who dislike them). I also like to do farmers after that if I have time. Grip work is a killer as you know.

15. Fish Of Doom

yup. and i also need it massively for parkour, so it's something i'll have to look into a bit more seriously.

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Thinking of putting together a rice bucket.

17. Fish Of Doom

i need to make a pair of nigiri game

18. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

In the US, those are easy to make out of protein powder jars:

http://gra2173ingloriousbaselines.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/muscle-milk1.gif

We have them at our dojo, but it is hard to do a progressive resistance with them, as they are for general use. Much better to make your own and add a little more sand to them each week and you just reminded me to make some for myself. Thanks!

19. ROFL...
    Now, there's an ambitious DIY project... :D:D

OSu!

20. Fish Of Doom

gonna start keeping track of my weight. currently at 55 kilograms (minus underwear and hair :p).