first timer...any pinoys in this site?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ptkali778, Apr 21, 2004.

1. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

wt atl...

walang anuman (you're welcome)...if i ever make my way to atl, i'll look you up for some training..

2. Plywood

Plywood New Member

They add young jackfruit (langka) to the adobo in Catanduanes, and I've eaten adobo that contained mango in Batangas.

Actually adobo is a good comparison to arnis/eskrima. Both have Spanish names and possibly roots, but is still distinictively Filipino and hardly resembles the Spanish namesake at all. BTW, the same goes for our afritada and imbutedo, sounds Spanish but 100% pinoy.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

amen to that! also, taking off from that analogy, there are thousands of styles of cooking adobo. all of them unique and has it's pros and cons. all of them suited to someone's tastes. in the end adobo, though myriad and varied has a distinct filipino flavor.

much like fma, eh!

mabuhay ang sining ng mandirigmang pilipino! (long live fma!)

4. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

ptkali
    Sorry man for the belated reply.Beeen very busy!!Anyways my Guru in Serak told me about it and also i saw the website!!
    Salamat

5. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

Wtl
    Hey tell Guro Jeff Chung John said hi.He sponsored our group in the Bay Area!
    Salamat

6. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Almost pinoy

I'm almost pinoy (though there are a lot of "pinoy" habits that I I'll fight tooth and nail to avoid doing). I was born pinoy in Pasay City, moved overseas at a young age and then moved back 30 years later. Now I'm trying (and mostly failing miserably) to be pinoy again. Its been a few years but I still suffer from some culture shock.

7. shootodog

and what would these habits be? :D

welcome to map don diego!

8. Diego_Vega

Thank you my friend! Habits? They involve mostly driving habits (refusing to yield, ignoring lanes, etc.) and dietary issues (tuyo with champorado -- can't do it, eating pancit with rice or with bread -- too much carbs!).

Hows your left arm?

9. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

welcome diego vega..that's filipino diet for you. i remember eating rice in the morning or pandesal, rice for lunch and rice for dinner...its a carbs galore my friend

10. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Mmmmmmmmmm... Bulalo and Arroz Caldo... Bulalo in Arroz Caldo... Mmmmmmmmmm...

11. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Mwehehehehehehehehehehe!

After a few years, you'll get used to being angry. I think we don't have people giving other drivers the finger here in the Philippines.

12. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

diego....i understand your frustration man, it takes time to get used to it, i was home bout 3 years ago and i forgot how traffic/driving is like, boy was i scared on my first day, i got over it tho, but i would never attempt to drive there unless i have to. anyways how's Pinas (PI)? im planning a christmas trip there, i miss Pinas and i cant waite to go back...peace y'all

13. krys

krys Valued Member

Kinilaw tuna and adobong octopus with seaweeds, a bottle of tanduay gold, on the beach with a campfire.... ahh I can't wait to return...

14. Diego_Vega

Ironically having to drive here in the Pinas has improved my fma. My sense of spacial awareness has improve because I have to be aware of what every other driver is doing around me, unlike Canada where I mainly worried about the guy in front of me. Also, because nobody follows the rules of the road (ie. stop lights, stop signs, right of way, etc.) you have to recognize and use "flow" to get through traffic. I've been told that a lot of drivers carry baseball bats in their cars. Strange, I've never seen a baseball game in the years I've lived here.

As for coming here in Xmas? Forget it. Come after XMas. All of the prices drop, from plane tickets to resort accomodations. Temperature wise the best season is January and February. It doesn't rain too much and its cooler than the other times of the year. PM me and I'll recommend some resorts where we locals go to.

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Here in the Philippines, drivers do not carry baseball bats, they carry steel pipes. Much cheaper.

16. shootodog

don diego: my right arm. it's ok. my fingers are the problem.

my favorite car carry is the foot long flat head screw driver. have the head sharpened just a bit more. how about a foot long mag light that needs 6 c batteries? an ice pick in the cooler anyone?

17. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

i always carry a long maglite and a baseball bat, its easier to get away with it when you get pulled over. when i was living back home, a friend of mine gave a bait for pusit(squid) it has a multiple hooks that i usually carry in my backpack

18. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

yawyan pasay in the house! hehe. =P

19. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

Good to be here........

Hi everyone,

Roman Rapido here :woo: Kamusta mga kabayan!!!

20. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

hi and welcome to map roman rapido.