first timer...any pinoys in this site?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ptkali778, Apr 21, 2004.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

yup, luzon is the big one on top. maybe i can help. when your mom cooks adobo, does it have cocnut milk? or is it just plain vinigar and soy? do you add sugar?

2. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

True blue Pinoy

I hope WT_ATL knows what adobo is. Shootodog, is there a region here that have a peculiar blend of adobo with coconut in it? My parents are from Ilocos and Iloilo (although I do not know both dialects) and I cook adobo with the usual vinegar and soy sauce blend. I sometimes add sugar because I have a sweet tooth.

3. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

mandirigma...unfortunately the head of jati wisesa went back home to indonesia. so my guru is the only one that teaches the system here in north america..

4. shootodog

gata! (coconut milk) in the adobo of bicolandia!

5. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

Welcome Tisoy,
    I also practice Sayoc Kali.

6. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

ptkali
    Thanks.I teach a blend of Kimat,Inosanto,and Lameco.I will not say a specific style to not offend any Guros.

7. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

ptkali
    Thats too bad.Perhaps maybe there are training groups in and around my area?

8. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

wt atl
    Maybe you are a Ilocano "coconut"like me..:D

9. LastFMArnisador

LastFMArnisador New Member

coconut milk in adobo ? in ilocos ? (dont know a thing about regional cooking in Philippines)

man... ive been too much abroad.. forgettin me culture and all that..

at least i can somewhat live a pretty pinoy life even in Norway..

Miss the old days, but then again... so sorry me off topic here.

10. WT_ATL

WT_ATL New Member

ok, I have a call in to my P's, so I hope to find out soon. As far as the adobo, no coconut milk, just vinegar and soy. I also know that my mom speaks ilocano (did i spell that right?) and tagalog, but my dad only speaks tagalog.

Man it's good to talk to some other pinoys, other then some of my family that moved with me from chicago to atlanta, haven't really run into any out here.

Mandirigma,

Who do you train Sayoc with and where? Are you a member of the SKSTA?

p.s., All this talk about filipino food is making me hungry...hmmm kare kare.

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  11. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

all these talk bout adobo with coconut milk makes me soo hungry. its actually pretty good. try it out, skip the vinegar tho...i know its off topic, but hey martial artist gotta have some good food and rest, then train..mabuhay!

wt atl...you did spell ilocano right. do you speak/understand it?

12. WT_ATL

WT_ATL New Member

unfortunatly, no. I only understand tagalog, but cant speak it that well. I'm looking to buy some "learn tagalog" software, not sure if it exists. if you have any other suggestions on ways to learn the language, i'd be very interested. Like i said earlier, i really want to get back to my roots. Especially now that i have kids, two boys, one 15 months and the other 5 yrs. I don't want them to grow up not knowing anything about their culture.

almost forgot, i've also been watching some filipino movies my sister loaned me. They're actually pretty funny. I love it when they mix english in with their tagalog. guess that's called tagalish. :)

13. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

wt atl....
    its called taglish....renting tagalog movies is a good way to learn, watch the filipino news, dont know what channel tho, i remember watching filipino news when i went to visit my parents in San Francisco. You can also go to the library they have tagalog-english learning aid such as cassette tape and all that..check it out and good luck....im fluent in ilocano and tagalog, so if you need help, you got it....

14. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

What upper wt_atl
    :D
    I train at the SF training group with Guro Rick K.Great group of guys!Whats SKSTA?How do you like Sayoc Kali?Speaking of Filipino food i would love a bowl of pork sinigang right now! :love: Happy Memorial Day folks!!

15. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

Whats upper Ptkali,
    I was wondering is there any training groups down my way?
    Selamat

16. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Why what do you know? You've stumbled on a term that has been in use for a long time (probably even before I was born, which was in Ferdinand Marcos' first term). For the movies, I don't think it would be funny if you watch the "tear-jerkers."

Learning tagalog is I think is easy. We use roughly the same alphabet in english. Roughly the same vowel and consonant sounds. And tagalog and english both have tenses.

17. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

mandirigma......
    sorry dude.. i asked my guro, and unfortunately there isnt any training groups in your area...jus curious, what did you hear bout jati wisesa?

18. shootodog

guys,

if you add gata (coconut milk) and it's spicy it comes from bicol region(southern most part of the island of luzon).

the ilocano adobo uses a lot of garlic and whole black peppercorns.

the adobo that nixes vinigar uses achuete (er, it's seeds that give color) in it's place. this is usually done by the pangalatok (the people from panggasinan, central luzon)

man, i'm hungry! if anyone needs some adobo recipies, pm me. i'll gladly send you some.

19. WT_ATL

WT_ATL New Member

OK, my family is originally from Laguna 50 miles from manila. So what does that make me :confused:

Mandirigma,

I've been training in Sayoc Kali for several months, it's intense. As you know, it's a templated system that emphasizes offense. Knife or not, you are always the "feeder". It's a constent mental chess game of how to end an altercation as quickly as possible. My training group here in Atlanta is sponsored by Guro Jeff Chung.(check out www.doble-daga.com) .

p.s., SKSTA stands for Sayoc Kali Silak Training Association. To train in Sayoc Kali, students are required to join this association.

PTKALI778,

Thanks for the invitation for help in learning tagalog.

If either one of you guys are ever in Atlanta, look me up. I welcome an opportunity to train with you. Who knows, by then, I may even be speaking fluent tagalog. :D

20. shootodog

it makes you a tagalog.