First time you mess up a pc?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cain, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

I won't start a thread on "have you ever messed up your pc?", instead "first time you ever messed up a pc" seems more appropriate ;)

Let's hear it! :D

Mine was when I compressed my drive using drivespace in win9x only to have doublethe amount of space but wasting 15 whole minutes waiting for the OS to start ;)

The second one I distinctly remember changing all exe's accosiations to open with wmplayer, dunno why I did that in the first place so don't ask ;)

|Cain|

2. Redhotdragon

Redhotdragon New Member

flicking through the CD's that came with my computer...before i knew anything about PCs and how they work...and pressing 'flash BIOS' on one of the discs. It wasn't a pretty sight.

3. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I can't remember doing anything catastrophic to my own PC... :D

Rgds,
    David

PS If you want a laugh, do a search on all local drives for all .exe .com. mp3 .wmv .txt .xls .doc and all other file formats you can think of. When it's finished searching, select one file, press CTRL-A and then press ENTER. Hours of fun.

PPS Don't do the above; god knows what will happen.

4. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

First time I messed up a PC, was at my local high street retailer ;)

First time I messed one up accidentally, I was copying over the main database of the company I was working at to make a test version. Due to the size, I deleted around 90% of the client info from the test version, before realising I was still connected to the live one!

5. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

The first time i mucked up a PC was when something installed on my machine that linked itself to my windows directory no idea how and i deleted it and suffice to say half the rest of the stuff went with it.

Still got no idea how it happened

6. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

cant remember first time but the last time i messed pc up was by telling it to use the old components that came with the pc (which it no longer has) so it got messed up and i had to format it :-(

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Far too many to mention here.

First time I messed up a PC badly was when I took my PC to bits, and then put it back together for "practise". It worked fine, but kept shutting itself off for no real reason that I could figure out, so I called my boyfriend in to have a look at it. He took the chasis off, looked inside the PC and started laughing his head off. I'd forgotten to plug back in the CPU fan, it was overheating and shutting down as a result. Cue one fried CPU. That computer is now my Linux box, and does quite nicely considering.

And then there was that time I blew up the PSU and fitted the new one with a hacksaw and power drill, but I'll save that for another time

8. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

That was a long time ago - had something to do with a VIC 20 and some cassette tapes.

9. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

I believe it was first time was the time when I had gotten 086 little while ago and was done playing games. I started investigating the possibilities of computers.
    Firstly the computer always started norton commander in boot, and I never knew how to get out of it. So I went along. I went through every single directory and file, clicking enter on every one of them. Since at some point I had accidentally clicked mouse driver executable and it brought up a picture of mouse :p
    I figured there might be some other groovy stuff in there aswell. *shrugs*

Well, the real incident was that little bit later I had learned how to get out of Norton Commander. I had also learned this new and exciting command: "del".
    And naturally being the computer genius I was, I typed "del *.*" in the root :p

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I managed to set fire to a monitor once, although that was just by pressing the power button. As to messing up a PC, I did once kill and entire PC by discovering that fantastic DOS command, 'debug'.

11. xubis

xubis New Member

lol, my first time was when I was about 6, "Press DEL to enter setup" Oh dear dear dear, what did I change? ;)

12. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

(And for my 200th post.............)

DOS was my friend. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the "rd 'directory'" command, which caused a rather large problem. I confidently deleted everything inside "x" folder (using the 'del' command), but when it came to delete the actual directly I typed "del 'x'". Suddently everything on the c:\ was erased.

My bad.

13. zun

zun New Member

At another school - a Sinclair spectrum, I attached the cassette drive while it was still on. Kaboom... Sizzle... I made my escape before the security guard realised.

14. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Ahh yess "mucking up a PC"... good fun in a way, I used to annoy my parents when I first got a PC by having an 'explore' around the computer and sometimes mucking things up like the display and stuff. :) (still to my 'exploration' but I'm a bit more 'cautious' now :))

I remember when I start early wi PC's me and my dad messed wi config.sys and autoexec.bat to run games in DOS(ahh "nostalgia) and when we got "Windows Windows"('95 on a Packard Bell, oh how 'naive' I was to it all :D) we had problems and the first time we ever formatted we were like "Are we sure?" then after it was like "Format? Aye, go on!" :D

The latest thing I did do (which I can't figure out what happend) was I installed a printer driver (for a Brother printer) on my Win XP machine, and for some reason(as it had to restart), on the restart it didn't! No bleeps nothin! :confused: On that one the motherboard was replaced so could have been that. But I think I shall stop, as my 'capers' are nothing to what I've read, kinda fun (in a way, as obviosuly at the time it's not always that 'nice' a thing to happen!) and interesting to read through. :)

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

When I lived int eh UK we had lots of electronic devices that coud run 110 or 220. A friend brought over his Sinclair 1000 (this was like 82 or 83) and while he was in the restroom I got it setup for us... but plugged it in the the 220. DOH! dead.

Ther there was the time I was working on a database for a telelmerketer and wanted to add some RAM. it was the night before deadline, it ws 10pm on a Sunday. It was an old box so I had to remove the drive controller card to get at the memory. While reinstalling the drive controller card, I snapped off a capacitor from the circuit board. Long story short, I took it voer to my Dad's house, we tore apart an old radio until we fuond the right capacitor, un-soldered it form the radio and repaired my card! my Dad didn't know how to operate a mouse but he could sure work that solder gun!

16. peacfulwarrior

peacfulwarrior New Member

PC and sparks

Not my own PC but one when I was going to school I was messing with the power switch with the power cord plugged in.
    Yes sparks were flying.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  17. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

my first time was chucking a commodore 64 out of the window when there was a power cut while i was writing the umpteenth line of basic out of a magazine.

but my greatest failure has to be the time i tried to run my CB (citizen band) radio from the mains i was young though