First time sparring ... I was terrible

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by u6s68, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I'm going by what I personally train for. My coach tells me that he trains me the same way he would train any of his fighters with the slight difference that no one is going to call time out, no one is going to throw in the towel or any of that... so he pushes me in a different direction. I train that the fight "might go on forever". I am not saying what I do is superior to being a ring fighter... but as I said, I'm to old for that, and even if suddenly the surgeries that have been recommended to me for pain, misshapen sockets, etc were all healed and I was better, I'm still to old. I now train for the experience, the fun and with my Wife and son in mind if I ever have to protect them. That's what's most important to me... nothing else.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Agreed. The larger part of my post was dedicated to addressing that point.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Of course it could. I was asking as a courtesy. I'm not trying to control it. I'm asking for consideration. Whether people choose to grant it is really up to them. As I said, nothing's been done that was objectively wrong. I hope I've made that clear to Fusen.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You don't control that, Saved. Hang out on the Internet long enough, and people are going to talk down to you. That's just life. You have a range of ways you can respond to this, some of which run you afoul of the ToS a lot quicker than others. You say you don't care. And perhaps that's true. But you know what the outcome will be eventually.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Crystal Ap, and thanks again for the time and effort.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I think linking to a video that was posted in good faith as a way to argue against a fellow MAP member is not the done thing.
    Members posting their vids has been pretty much universally applauded and welcomed (unless it's obvious trolling) and that should continue.
    Vids aren't ammo to use against people.

7. Dead_pool

Holding a debate isnt arguing, and using a posters own posts to further the debate isnt unheard of.

If we cant agree on that theres no real point to having forums.

But there definatly is a "spirit of the site" that should be kept too, further to that the context was genuinely amusing.

8. Dead_pool

double post

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  9. Dead_pool

my main point was actually the discussion between SIB and UC about holding your hands up
    on the entire thread that was linked.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Because no one but you perceives me bringing up a topic as "throwing a fit." You show a trend in posts of being extremely defensive when anyone expresses any opinion different than yours.

And that is all I am going to say on that as I don't want to further derail this thead in a pointless discussion.

To the OP, don't get discouraged- just keep sparring. No matter how bad you feel you are, the only way to get better is to keep at it! Sounds overly simple, but I have seen people quit sparring because they feel they aren't good to start off and I think that is a shame. And those people stall out because after beginnign levels, instructors insist on sparring to test. Then they drop out entirely.)(

As others said, worry about learning, not winning. Keep at it and eventually you will know you are better down the road than you are now. Worry about improving.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Here's a video of me getting my butt whooped;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kAmk9yf51Y"]Iain Scanlon vs Thomas Hepburn - Scotia BJJ Cup 30/03/2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not so fussed about looking bad, because I know I'll get better because of it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  12. Saved_in_Blood

I got completely dominated in sparring myself on Sunday. Of course I have no ground game at all, so the focus is to use my footwork as much as possible to avoid winding up there. He said I am good at controlling the distance, but that I get out of my fighting stance to much when I am moving and stop, I'm off balance basically. Pivots are good, but still lacking that full distance snap on my jabs.... so not hitting him basically.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can't sprawl to save myself, but because of my height and range my footwork can nullify some wrestling ala Anderson Silva.

14. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I strongly disagree with this statement. You dont learn half as much if you're getting walloped around a ring by someone.

The only thing you are picking up is how to get beat up by a boxer/thai boxer/kickboxer/MMA fighter/bearded man/Thor/God (delete as appropriate).

Even if you are leaning for the purpose of self defence you need to learn slowly in sparring. You can be conditioned whilst on the pads with the other person hitting you. In a sparring session you learn to spot openings, find out where you weaknesses are, improve on your base, spot certain things that happen before an attack, learn movement and also learn how to attack back. You can not learn them things with a more experienced fighter ripping holes in you as they have learnt all them things and are not allowing you the openings to fire back.

15. Saved_in_Blood

I did start slowly, now it's time to up the game for me. Someone attacking me isn't going to wait until I get up after a throw or anything else. It has to be as real as possible under certain conditions. Confidence IMO is not gained by someone going 20% against you.

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

So you are doing full on Sanda/San Shou type stuff? That is pretty awesome!

17. Saved_in_Blood

Yes I am... very much enjoying it.

18. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Again from experience I disagree with you. I've stepped in the ring as a beginner, having gained confidence from people taking it easy with me and the guy i was sparring with went a lot harder on me. Knocked me for 6 tbh. It's off putting.

Stepping it up progressively is better than just getting a limited base then having your confidence shattered by a far more experienced fighter.

The way I've always done it, is allow the other person attack me. Give them the confidence to fire punches off whilst landing on obvious openings but with limited power. As they build up and start gaining a defensive ability I can then hit harder, whilst encouraging them to return a bit harder. From there we can settle on how hard we wanna bang. I could still chew them up even if we are using 70% power as I have the experience and ring knowledge so I can fire back quicker, not get hit, spot openings easier but that's not gonna help them in anyway what's so ever. Apart from make them feel like they are back at square one and they lose all their confidence.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

didn't you start training in February and only manage 4 sessions a month, how slowly did you start exactly lol

Someone attacking you also isnt going to be wearing gloves and is likely to be armed so i hope your sparring sessions reflect that as well :D

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Certain conditions include people not going 100%. Would you learn best by getting your glutes handed to you by Mike Tyson 5 times a week? You only have two ears sir, you obviously would not make it past that.