First time sparring ... I was terrible

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by u6s68, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I honestly don't know it all that well. Most of my time, apart from travelling around to other provinces like Beijing, Shanghai, Yi Wu, etc was spent in Chenghai, Shantou.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

For context, SIB bagwork

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121374

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I would strongly prefer that, when users post video of themselves, it's left to their discretion when and how that video is used. There's no specific policy to reinforce this. I think it's the decent thing to do though.

Saved, if you're going to stay here, you're going to need to learn to accept disagreement without constantly turning it into someone questioning your integrity. Maybe you feel you got baited. Well, you're still a free thinking adult. You have other avenues than "mods be damned!"

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Fwiwv- I linked the entire thread as context for where SIB was coming from, I didnt just link the video for a cheap point score, I honestly belive that were all here to learn via discussion, and much like sparring, there is no winners or losers.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You did. And I appreciated that. As I said, there's no policy against it. But it takes some nerve to post video of yourself at MAP. And I'd like to make sure that the practice continues and expands. I think the best way to guarantee that is to try and ensure that the OP have some control over it.

But that's just my view. Others may feel differently once it's entered the public sphere.

6. Unreal Combat

I appreciate one hundred percent what you are saying, and respect the notion entirely, but the door's got to swing both ways on this one Ap.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I give permission to anyone on MAP who wants to post an example of how to get knocked out, to use my video which can be found towards the end of the Boxing Journey thread in Training Logs.

Just make sure you let me know you're doing it so I can wallow in the shame and humiliation.

:p

8. Unreal Combat

It took some balls to post that video mate. That's nothing to be ashamed of. I've seen good fighters get knocked out in mere seconds. It happens. The respect earned doesn't come from wins or losses, but from stepping into that ring as a fighter to entertain the masses.

The thing with competitive fighting is that at the end of the day it only takes one real good (or lucky) hit to put a fighter down. It's as simple as that.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

So I'm being a drama QUEEN now? Now I am realizing some of the hypocrisy here. Is anyone going to get upset with this term the same way when I filled in the blank for another word by saying "kick like a girl"... so isn't this also insulting to women?

10. Saved_in_Blood

I don't care if one disagrees with me or what I post, I just won't be talked down to... period. Not agreeing with me is fine. I can agree to disagree. UC has ring experience... that's fine. I don't train for ring experience. I train for SD alone. I'm to old to start that up. I spent one of my 2 hour sessions yesterday with 2 rounds of jumping rope, 2 rounds of shadow boxing, and then I got beat up the rest of the time I guess 8 or 10 rounds. I got kicked, punched, thrown, ground and pounded and was shown the kind of things that might happen in the street.

When I spar, my instructor doesn't take it easy on me. Most of the shots that are thrown would KO me if my guard wasn't up, I got my bell rung once yesterday, lip cut, black eye, and a pretty swollen leg from getting kicked. My form of combat is training to have to defend when I have no choice. I would gladly spar anyone to see how well I did, but it's not my main goal as much as to learn what I am being taught with everything being the right technique.

This is why I ask not to be talked down to. Yes, I understand in very heavy sparring conditions what it's like to be so tired that you can't move your legs and barely hold your hands up... this is why I am pushed to keep moving or get hurt, you dig and your body and mind discover suddenly you can take more than you thought you ever could. My point of all of this is that I have been pushed to either get your hands up, start moving and start punching or be KO'd. Just because I'm not surrounded by ropes in a sanctioned event doesn't mean I'm not in combat when I spar. This is what I asked him for when I signed up. I don't want pitty pat sparring where you don't learn as much because you're not at the same risk you would be if you were in a real SD situation.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok.

You're not allowed to quote a huge amount of text for a one sentence remark. I read all that before your one liner and all I needed to read was one word. :yeleyes:

12. Saved_in_Blood

I just wanted to see if there would be a huge uproar over it lol.

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Wow, all those pages in the thread "Kick like a girl" and you absorbed absolutely not one small bit of what people were saying or the point and reasoning behind it.

Not one little bit.......................not even saying you had to agree, but at least understand what the "other" view is..............

There isn't.. It isn't hypocrisy, it just isnt' the same thing.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I admit it, I wouldn't have the nerve. Most people are really nice and constructive, but a few can be well, rather harsh at times. And in not so constructive a way.

Much respect to those that have the courage to do it.

However, once one posts something on the WWW, they really do lose control over it. Even if MAP had a policy, it could spread beyond MAP. Really no way to stop it.

15. Unreal Combat

Out of all of that, this is the one thing you picked out of my post for discussion.

I think you just answered your own question.

The real issue here is that you have blown things so out of proportion, and taken things so personal, that you completely ignored the original point being made to you regarding sparring and winning. Getting your instructor to beat you up has no relevance to the point being made to you originally because you do not compete. I've done heavy sparring, at my old club it was the only way anyone sparred. Getting in the ring to fight, and getting in the ring to spar, even heavily, are two very different feelings and experiences and you don't seem to understand that, or understand why 'winning' has no place in sparring, because this is something you have not experienced whether at an amateur or professional level.

Now you can choose to take this as someone talking down to you , or as someone trying to teach you about something you don't fully understand. The choice is yours, really.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Ja, and there are gyms/schools out there that are not very keen on clips of their under-contract-with-a-certain-promotion fighters ending up on the internet without their express consent. Even if its inadvertently or indirectly as a result of one wanting to film oneself for private use.

Unbelievable the lengths they (the promotions/agents, not necessarily the schools, though they can be just as hard-nosed as well) will make their signers go to in the name of "Image Control", but apparently its a big deal.

Of course you can always grab one of the other 'non-competes' after hours and have yourself filmed. But in my case for certain, if you really wanted to see the results of belltoller in action, all that would be required is throwing one of those county-fair sized tomatoes out of a top-floor window and turning on the camera as it hit the pavement below, lol.

That's why I appreciate UC so much for posting so much of himself so freely - truly in for it for the benefit of instruction and personal betterment ( our betterment!)

A lot of the ones I knew at our former gym (before we recently moved) that were seeking contracts or at a stage where they were considering professional licenser would have an almighty fit at the idea of opening their trade-craft freely as UC has, for scrutiny. I mean an almighty fit. His school deserves high marks as well for letting him.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Everyone knows better than that....until they actually get in the ring and test themselves. Then all sorts of stuff happens. Mistakes are made, flaws show up, etc etc.
    That's the whole point of doing it.
    The flaws aren't indicative of not knowing something but are indicative of the pressure (mental and physical) that is being applied.
    The goal of training, IMHO, is to be as near as possible to an "ideal" when you fight, with the understanding that no one really reaches that ideal (not you or UC).
    Just "knowing" something and doing it for real (with the understanding that real in this case is a competition) are two very different things and that is why people fall short of that ideal.
    Which is why I've said to you that just doing privates is a very limited way of learning. You may learn to land on your instructor of stop him from landing on you but go into a general class and that complete beginner with an awkward style (for example) will tag you. Because sparring with one person is only one reference point.
    Sparring in class provides multiple reference points. Competing provides a whole other set of reference points.

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Shantou, my brother-in-law lives there. Busy place (Guangdong), innit? More people running 'round at 2am there than one would find on Oxford and Carnaby combined, lol

19. Unreal Combat

Yeah, it's cooler so people do their shopping and stuff then. Lunch times are like a ghost town as everyone locks up and goes to sleep, lol.

20. Saved_in_Blood

You threw a fit about it when I said it, but it's not even being mentioned now... this is your hypocrisy, not mine. I could care less what the guy says tbh.