First thread...Introductions?

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by fifthchamber, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

No, you're not grabbing at straws. They're closely related.

Takeuchi-ryu is actually on of the main schools responsible for the formation of quite a number of koryu bujutsu schools in the Kansai and Kyushu areas of Japan just as Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu is for Kanto.

The founder of Takeuchi-ryu, Takeuchi Nakazudayuu Hisamori taught a number of individuals who went on to form shiryu (branch or offshoot schools). According to Takeuchi-ryu historical records, students of Hisamori include, Futagami Hannosuke Masaaki and Toda Gorobei who later formed their own schools (Futagami founded Sosuishi-ryu and Toda Gorobei founded Toda-ryu Kogusoku).

Hisamori's grandson, Takeuchi Kaganosuke Hisayoshi had an even deeper influence since he travelled around the country on musha shugyo and engaged in many taryu-jiai. His encounters influenced the development of such schools as Hontai Takagi Yoshin-ryu, Rikishin-ryu, Araki-ryu, Araki Shin-ryu, Nanba Itto-ryu, Fusen-ryu and Kyushin-ryu. His experiences also influenced the evolution of certain kata in Takeuchi-ryu's system.

Swings and roundabouts.

2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hey guys,

I don't study Koryu (or any Asian martial art at all for that matter), but I figure I'd stop by and say hello, hang out, and see what I can learn nonetheless. :)

I teach and train primarily in Kunst des Fechtens, the martial art of medieval Germany. The primary weapons are the longsword, messer (longknife), and dagger. The unarmed component is very grappling-oriented. One finds many parallels between medieval European and Koryu arts as far as technique goes, but the mindset of the practicioners themselves is very different. Koryu practicioners study to preserve the art, HES practicioners study to reconstruct the art.

Anywho, enjoy the forum and I'll be in to check up on y'all from time to time. Have fun, and play nice!

Best regards,

-Mark

3. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Come on in Mark, the water's fine.

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I will submerge myself in this subforums fine water as well, then :)

As Langenschwert, I too study historical european martial arts. I have studyed HEMA for 5 years. Mostly I study techniques from 3 manuscripts based on the works of Fiore di Liberi, who died in 1409 or 1410 of old age. His system is often referred to as "Fiore di Liberi", "Fior di Battaglia", or "Floss Duellatorum". His system covers wresteling, dagger, 1h.sword, 2h.sword, halebard, mounted (horse) combat and singlestick. Our little group (rather a workshop than a traditional hierarcical dojo) have allso studied German medieval/renissanse systems involving longsword, wresteling, and a little Mendoza Boxing (boxing from 17th century).

I have had no prior training in other MA's, and -at least in Norway (where I live) -there isn't a lot of established schools to study HEMA (historical european martial arts). The neares "school" is 7 hours drive away, but the Scandinavian HEMA-community have an annual gathering in Sweeden, called Swordfish, where allso german, polish and some english allso attend. I started training(or rather researching/ experimenting/ studying) with Colin Richards for 3 years, while he lived in Norway, and after he moved to Germany and started Arts of Mars (http://www.artsofmars.com/home.htm), I continued training with some students/friends.

We were allowed to train in a Shinto Ruy Kenjutsu Dojo, and they were very nice, actually several of them started going to "my" classes as well :) -we compared techniques, and I certainly needed some qualified input in my efforts to interpretate the 2d-images and illustration-texts. The union was disrupted by having to move times and location, and allthough one of the Ryu -students is still around, I have had great use for the Weastern and Eastern sword-comparison-thread on this forum :) Lately we do a little friendly submission-wresteling as well, just so we don't get lost in techniques, but allso look a little into how to actually apply techniques as well, in a "real" situation...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  5. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

For koryu, Muso Shinden Ryu iai-nuki here, and I'm quite the newbie. I most actively do seitei iai-nuki at this time though.