First Tae kwon do class - am i expecting too much??

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by android, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Our classes run at least 2 hours. Sounds like a typical TKD class, unfortunately you may see 10 year old black belts, or even worst 15 year old 3rd degree black belts!! Liability is pretty high so unless your in Korea (birthplace of TKD) you probably won't have the type of training your talking about. This is not uncommon. And yes, I trained In both South Korea and USA in Tae Kwon Do, there IS a difference!!

Sadly, there seems to be more "Black Belts" who simply wear the belt, but cannot do the "Black Belt" stuff. This is actually more common then people realize. Then they wonder why the Black Belt has become such a laughing stock and joke, (No offense to any fellow Black Belts on this forum, I'm a Black Belt (TKD) and know how much hard work we put into our training, I'm simply saying "as a general consensus" this "seems" to be the norm). Even worst there's what we call the typical "Mcdojos" where you can literally walk in, buy a black belt, walk out and wear it as such!!

Wearing body protection isn't uncommon in TKD, it's actually not common to wear them either. In our system we normally don't use body protection while sparring. We utilize Impact Resistant Suits but that's only for certain training. In my opinion sparring without protective gear is actually more beneficial for it gives you more of a "realistic" aspect of self-defense.

2. android

android Valued Member

update

found another tkd class - bit of a drive but not too bad
    They come under PUMA
    adult and a mixed class.
    bit more in my price bracket
    will have to see..............................

3. android

android Valued Member

Update............Well i went along to another local club that i had found online- in fact thise felt like a last hope !!

Glad to say it went well, small class WTF style.

About 8 people in the class, the Black belts all seemed very competent,

warm ups stretching, then kicking Pads, after hour and a half i was exhausted

oh, and i manged to spill blood over the floor - underneath of my big toe, skin had ripped off - and i didnt evn notice!!

They train again Friday which im planning to go back too.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Excellent, glad you found something :)

Mitch