First sparring tommrow

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by karhn, Jul 10, 2005.

1. karhn

karhn New Member

Hi i will get my sparring equipment tommrow and my first sparing match any tips on how to fight i am a only 5'7 i gathered from some other post the best thing i can do is stay mid range and use teep kick to get some space any other ideas??

2. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Work behind your jab.
    Throw combos off your jab.
    Jab and low kick
    Jab cross kick

Jab- body shot

Dont just throw singles try to throw 2s or 3s if you can.
    Punch punch punch kick then get out

Keep that right hand on your jaw firmly OR youll get left hooked a lot

Enjoy it

3. I'm 5'6"!!!

Basically, I don't know how you're built but if it's anything like me you'll have to muscle inside their range. As shorties, our opponents/sparring partners will be taller and use jabs/push kicks more. Keep out of range, wait for a loose shot and then get inside.

Kickboxing idiot gave some good suggestions, and I'll leave you with the statement: "the leg is longer than the arm".

4. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

not bad for an idiot who knows jack all is it norm :p

Yeah norm has a good point.
    Do you know how to do side kick?
    Its an effective counter for a jab BUT if not executed quick enuff leaves you open for a low kick on returning to the ground

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

despite what anyone posts here... you'll have to go with what's already in your muscle memory.

concentrate on keeping your opponent off his game plan..
    get off first and never ever fail to return fire.

keep a stone face and give 'em hell. :D

6. Not at all ;)

Or use push kicks :p

Learning is allowed too :)

7. karhn

karhn New Member

well it was well cool i ended up sparing with somebody about 6'4 and was abit fat but big built at first he was being cocky keep hiting me with the jab so i toke a few good shots at the begining but then i pushed in with my guard up he did his normally 1,2 which i blocked then i went in with hooks and jabs and he kept backing away or cowering with his head in his hands so i give a few light blows and backed off it was only sparring so i didnt hit him hard but then he went and give me a full on hook which caught me on the eye and i have got a blood blister now, then he went off and said he was too tried to fight on which i thought was abit off as i hadnt even hit him hard ohwell i gusse his ego was brusied that i was alot smaller and had only been doing it for 3 weeks so i didnt get to hit him back using all my stength but next time time if he wants to go hard i will go hard but any way not bad for my first sparring i manged to win against someone taller than me and way outa my weight range :) i then had ago against some one my own size but we where only allowed to kick i landed nearly all my kicks , i am glad i had been training up my shins on the heavybag coz i was getting a few blows from his right leg so i thought here goes and kicked his shin there was a loud bang of bone hitting bone but i didnt feel a thing but he did he didnt throw many more :) so all in all really fun except that i got marked never mind :)

8. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

SliptheJab "despite what anyone posts here... you'll have to go with what's already in your muscle memory."

what does that mean?

muscle memory is how long ur muscles stay in shape while you dont train.

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  10. N47Ø

N47Ø New Member

My instructor would man-handle me if I said to my partner that I was too tired.

11. karhn

karhn New Member

he did say to him go on and fight but someone eles had to sit down coz her head went funny so i had to fight the other bloke, but my instructor wasnt happy with him but he isnt really ever gonna take it further than fitness so he didnt bother with him i dont care tho coz at least i know i can take a hard blow my eye has gone all bruised now but when it happen i felt it but it didnt take any energy out of me and i was ready to fight i dunno why but i havent made much of my life up till now and i fell like i have found what i was ment to do if you know wot i mean ,i have been looking for something for ages i thought it was a good job but it isnt i am in a cafe at the moment leaves plenty of time to train and i if i stick it out ad dont make it as a kickboxer i would have been there long enough to go intop manament but anyway long live kickboxing/muay thai

12. hux

hux ya, whatever.

>>You just know someone's turning that into a sig

*dingding*

:D

13. hux

hux ya, whatever.

>>have found what i was ment to do if you know wot i mean

oh yea...isn't it glorious? wish I'd found this stuff 20 years ago, but oh well. If you really think that go after it hard, brudda.

14. GRRRRR - that was me. :woo: :woo: :woo:

I will get my revenge.

15. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

16. karhn

karhn New Member

Cheers Hux

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Dude, I have a friend who is 5'4 he's from Thailand, hes quite well toned but not built, he had a problem with another student who was 6'2 and very agressive, not big in weight though what I told him was, kick the crap out of the shins, front push kick his knees, and grab his shoulders and jumpign headbutts, also he is fit cardio vascular size, ever seen the way bruce lee skips? he was small, skip AROUND ur opponent, jumpo cpnfortably and slip the jab:p side kick so on...

18. hux

hux ya, whatever.

hmmmm...is it possible there are two legit definitions of muscle memory? That article seems legit, eh? I have only and always referred to muscle memory the way other guys here refer to it...meaning once a motion is learned and ingrained it happens by itself...

My apologies to Bruce? Anybody got another reference, I'll apologize officially..

:D

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Speed will eventualy come, you need to keep working it. Movement is your friend. Not 100% sure about the jumping, you better be good, but a lot of the advice here is solid for smaller fighters. You need to move, and as soon as you can get past his guard and get to his head and body do it. Once you've taken away the reach advantage, he he he :)

20. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

thank you hux also this is the first time i have heard of your definition of muscle memory.