First Real Lesson Monday!

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by sn11, Oct 7, 2007.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hey,

I decided to go along to a recomended class of aikido at Aikido Shoshinkai.

I must say, it was one of the most enjoyable classes i've been to. The instructors were very friendly, classes seemed very well spirited. When i also asked about buying a gi (as A LOT of the classes in my area seem more interested in you spending than in your learning) I was told i needent worry about it and i dont need one untill my first grading.

This was a major selling point, its non profit, seems highly motivated and generally something i can deffinately see myself doing for the next however many years!

So just thought i'd drop a line in the aikido section saying that my first proper lessons (£30 for 6 weeks of try before you sign up lessons) instead of the free see if you want to come back lessons...

So yeah, sorry theres not much of interest in this post, other than if anyone can recomend good reading material on aikido or anything else that could/should take my interest. Or just general advice/tips i'd be very greatful.

Thanks

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Glad you found something

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I thinlkthis is one of the best aikido books on any style I recommend it.Published by kodansha.

regards koyo

Let us know how you get on.

Attached Files:

• book.gif
      book.gif
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Beat me to it.
    :)

5. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Thanks for the book recomendation, just ordered it. :D and i will tell ya :D

6. Leaf

Leaf New Member

Woot! Fellow beginner!

I had my first lesson Friday, my second will be Monday. I was about to post a similar thread in this section, but Psymon beat me to it. I took Tang Soo Do for years, but the school changed ownership just when I went into highschool, so I decided to try varsity sports instead. (Then decided I didn't like that, and am back in martial arts for a year before college.)

A guy named Keith (I think) showed me most of the warmup drills, as well as how to fall, then I lined up with the class at the end to watch someone get his first rank certificate (in this school, 6th kyu, orange) after about 6 months of training. Sensei made a nice speech in front of the class (Most blackbelts have their 1st rank certificate in one of those "special places" that they'd be able to find eventually if they looked. Congratulations for finally having some paper work to "know exactly where it is," and more importantly, for training and making the rank.)

I might try to find that book.

I'm new to MAP, too. *waves*

7. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

W'oooooo!

Glad im not the only beginner here! :p

See we can both do noobish questions, then it wont be one of us being annoying :D lol

Good luck with training dude!

8. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Look forward to lots of questions. The old dogs (Koyo and I :p) will be happy to discuss new things.

Regards,

:D

9. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

First lesson - loved it! :D

I couldn't make both sessions on today, had to come back do some college work. Gutted.

BUT i did enjoy the time i was there! :D

I can't really remember the exact names of what we did though.

We started with the basic stance, then moving into a thing where:

The back leg sweeps and you turn 95 degrees
    Yours hands sort of change upward

Then we did another thing that involved replacing what would have been done with a sword, but done just with the hands.

Then i was put with a blue belt to learn the technique agaisnt an opponent. Was shown waay to many times but still didn't really get doing it well 100%. Although the instructor told me i did well for my first proper session so you know.

Oh and i met vimtoforblood; another MAP member to add to my 'MAP members i've met' :D lol.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

koyo's so old it's impossible that he could be a dog. He must be a turtle. He's THAT old! :p

11. koyo

Your potential for getting old is disappearing by the second.

regards koyo

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If you kill me who'd be in charge around here? Anyway I'm immortal :yeleyes:

13. koyo

On the net perhaps but in the real world THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.Meanwhile ponder this.. It is the milage not the miles.

SEnsei koyo of the clan Mc koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. Interest

Interest New Member

Welcome to Aikido.

When I began I was looking for balance. What I found was center. Now I actually know what balance...some day in the distant future I hope to understand O-Sensei's Aikido. Until then, I will only have my own Aikido.....and I do have to admit. Life is good.

Be at peace.

"Stay in the center of your circle and let all things happen around you"

15. koyo

THE most important lesson in aikido. The attacker is caused to spin,circle and spiral around the aikidoka. NOT the opposite.

regards koyo

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yes indeed. Welcome to Aikido. May you be come as deluded and brain damaged as the rest of us. :D