First kickboxing match, against a tkd guy...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by ilitrit, Oct 7, 2004.

1. ilitrit

ilitrit New Member

I have my first match on oct 15. It is full contact rules. My opponent is a 5'9" "kind of chubby" TKD guy. (btw, im 6'3 and lean) I do not know a whole lot about TKD's moves or anything. I would love some advice on how to fight him.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Keep him away from you, he's going to try to get in close, sweep your feet. Watch the elbows. If he gets in close, he'll use them. Use your long legs to try to keep him away. Let us know how it comes out.

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

ilitrit Have you got any training?

4. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

as someone who trains in both, i think i can give some decent advice, do you know what belt class he is? and... chubby? define chubby- chubby enough that you're sure he's going to be slow? quite honestly, i haven't seen many "chubby" active TKD practitioners.

also, how long have you been training?

if you can't find out his belt class or what he's good at. gauge what he knows first. if he's a veteran fighter, you're obviously going to be at disadvantage. but you're taller, and i presume, has a longer reach. if he's a new sparrer as well, he's probably going to open up with a L-45 kick and a R-RH (that's the most common opening i see on first time TKD sparrers- also it's a gauging move, much like boxing's jabs- to see how quick the opponent is- if the 45 connects, expect tons of those throughout the match- lmk if i'm right ;))

also, i don't know what type of TKD he trains in, if i were you, i'd probably open up with a few punch combinations first to see how fast he is, get ready with a knee block, and try to open up with some basic hand combinations, keep it simple, and see how he blocks/parries/slips/ducks. usually, IMHO <raises flame retardant shield> those tkd practitioners who've only sparred in a few MMA duels can't block body/liver/kidney hooks very well.

are elbows and knees allowed?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  5. ilitrit

ilitrit New Member

no elbows or knees allowed and it's kicks above the waist. I do not know much about my opponent other than his height (5'9) and weight, 190, but he should be down to 185 for the fight. I am at 180 now, but should be around 185 by then. He was described as stout, and a bit chubby, nothing too impressive, just looks like an average guy. I have been weight training for about 3 years, so I am built very well. I have been training in kickboxing for around 7 months. It will be both of our first fights. I train every day now for the fight. and what is a 45 kick?
    In TKD, they primarily use their feet, correct?

6. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

truthfully guy 7 months and your starting to spar i dont think thats adequate time but maybe your a fast learner in this case you'll need it.. try crescent kicks and straights to the body if restricted punching go for ribs just as you were taught ..i was taught traditional kickboxing so your probably more merciful than i am. kick him hard ..tkd like to kick not punch so catch him on his heels then side step then ..bam...the kneck rotation is what he'll be doing trying to wake up

7. johndoch

johndoch upurs

We could all tell you tactics about how to try and win the match. But in truth theres no set formula, the best advice I could give you is to have your own game plan on how you might approach the fight then be ready to chuck it out the window as soon as the fight starts.

Just remember to be flexible with your tactics and adapt to win. You might find that he is aggresive or maybe hes a counter puncher. How he fights will impact on your gameplan and how you react will determine the fight.

8. ilitrit

ilitrit New Member

before the 7 months of training,I had taken another kickboxing class for a few more months, I dont realy count it too much because it wasnt as interactive with other people, we would learn the techniques, but we would kick and punch at air. so total, Id say Ive been doing it nearly a year.
    as for me being merciful...Im not. Im going in there to knock the guy out

9. glenchuy

both your first fights is good, at least you're even. TKD's 45 degree kick is uh... kickboxing's defensive round kick.

uh... i won't comment on "primarily their feet" because there are different schools to it, and i'd don't want to generalize, especially on others which i have no idea about. but on my program, we use more kicks than punches.

10. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I think going on a fight if you haven't actually sparred is a bad idea.

In a match with a tkd guy I would throw a lot of hooks and adjust the distance i want with jabs. Stay in close distance do lots of combos with your punches, thats all i got to say.

11. glenchuy

yeah! :eek: surprised about it too!

12. ilitrit

ilitrit New Member

i never said i have never sparred, this is just my first actual match

13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Sorry , i got the wrong conclusion from your quote then.

14. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

watch out for his kicking combos

15. sean

sean THOR!

I dont :)

16. Thorstein

Thorstein New Member

win vs. loose

How did it end?????
    Did you win?

[​IMG]

17. ilitrit

ilitrit New Member

hehe, he won the match. I won the first round, he won the second, and i believe my nose lost the third :) I have a soft nose, you tap it and it bleeds pretty badly. by round 2 It was going off like a faucet. I think the judges saw me bleeding like mick foley and thought the guy was doing more damage than he was. (i was pretty well soaked) but it never slowed me down, I got it on video, ill try to post it sometime.
    He tried to stay in a boxing stance but quickly went to what he new best(he's been doin TKD for 16 years) and went to side stance. I stunned him pretty badly a few times with my jabs, but didnt know it at the time so I didnt move in for the kill(chalk that up to inexperience). He threw a lot of hook kicks and side kicks. He was very fast with his feet, which made me reverse my normal role. I was the tall guy pushing forward getting inside, working him with my hands. I took some hard shots and kept coming, it shocked the hell out of him. Afterwards he said that he was thinking "why wont this guy go down?" At one time I lunged in with a jab at the same time he threw a sidekick (my ribs feel that now, though I didnt feel it then). He never went to the body, except when we got into a clinch, his hooks werent doing any damage so I just let him keep swinging them to try to tire him out. His points sparring habbits kicked in a bit too, a lot of times he wouldnt follow up after he landed a good kick. After watching the video, I should have thrown the right a lot more, because when he threw a kick, he was wide open for it. And especialy after he was seeing stars from a stiff jab in the first round. He told me he was seeing 3 of me for a minute.
    It was awesome, one hell of an adrenaline rush

18. sean

sean THOR!

'no one loses in the ring' is a saying I read somewhere :D

congradulations though on having a great fight.

your 7 years sounds to of stood a damn good fight againsed his 16!

Good luck in the future bud :)

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Dam, ya beat me too it :D

Definatly the best idea if you ask me! I often train with some TKD practitioners on tuesdays. Trying to fight them at a distance is silly, considering TKD its primarily a kicking art.

You'll find some TKD practitioners spend more time on their legs than they do their hands, so they're boxing isn't up to scratch. Meaning they panic and back off to a safer distance if you close the gap. Take advantage of this and keep the pressure on him.

*edit: Awww, and then i read a few posts above and im to late in offering this advice :( Win, lose or draw... congrats on the fight!

20. ilitrit

ilitrit New Member

that was 7 months of sparring :) not years