First kickboxing fight

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Errrm, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

Hi,

After about 4 months of kicboxing I have agreed to my first kickboxing bout in the middle of April. My instructor thinks I'll be fine and the match up 'should' be against another beginner. Apart from getting knocked about by an orange belt who is bigger and taller and heavier than me the other night which knocked my confidence totally I'm doing ok and I'm able to beat people in sparring who have been kickboxing for 3 years and had 6 fights.

Really my question is how should I prepare? I going to the gym about 3 times a week and kickboxing 3 times a week ( 1 class is a sparring class ), is there anything specific that you would try to do to give yourself the best chance?

Errrm

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

This really is something you and your Instructor need to discuss and plan out.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A key factor in any fight is lungs. You really need to focus on lungs. Lack of oxygen makes cowards of us all. :D

Seriously... do your roadwork with religious conviction! Wind sprints on a regular basis mixed with longer runs. Cover both the aerobic and anaerobic spectrum. Fights have more in common with anaerobic exercises than they do with aerobic marathon runs.

If you start to gas your game will fall apart. Avoid that at all costs.

4. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

One of my instructors was going on to me about this the other day (I might have my first fight in a couple of months...at a tourney I'm helping organise...conflict of interest? LOL). He basically said it doens't matter how hard you train for your first fight. You'll get in there, panic and it'll be like watching two fool fourth graders trying to swim on dry land. One of you might land a punch...

:rolleyes:

that just filled me with confidence.

(disclaimer: he known for being a sarcy bugger who motivates through humiliation from time to time :))

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Take a sleeping bag to the gym, you should be living there.

6. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

lol I'm also in the final stages of a 2 year project at work which needs finishing so sleeping at a gym probably might not be best..... although thinking about it now probably isn't the best time for my first fight but nevermind.

Some more details about the bout, light contact continuous, 2 * 1.5min rounds. I'm fairly fit anyway but I think the main problem isn't having the stamina it's going to be having the stamina with the sudden surges of energy use i.e. kicking, punching, I can run 6-9 miles in one go at a fair pace but I need to get more rounds in during sparring.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Errrm

7. slipthejab

WAH?!?! :confused:

dude... blink and you will miss it. Seriously that's the shortest rounds I've ever heard of. You're rounds are a half minute longer than the break between rounds!! :eek:

That makes no sense. Are you sure you heard it right? I've never heard of seen a bout set up with such insanely short rounds. They're a half minute shorter than amatuer boxing rounds and a whole minute and a half shorter than the vast majority of stand up style rounds (boxing, muay thai etc.).

You will want to double check that.

8. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

I'm almost certain that it is correct, although it might be 3 rounds but I don't think so. Not sure why they do that but the people putting on the fight event decide the time of the rounds I believe, at the club I train at we have a sparring class which aims to do 12*3min rounds of shadow boxing and actual sparring once a week.

I think this is the promotion advertised on the link below. It says 3*1.5min rounds for seniors
    http://www.freewebs.com/britishlightcontinuouscouncil/forthcomingevents.htm

9. slipthejab

Wow. It does indeed state the length of rounds you said. I've never heard of that sort of round length in 10 years in the fight business. Holy Crap. I'll have to ask some people about that. It strikes me as very strange. Even stranger that the fighter could request the round length.

If that's the round length... your lungs should be well up for it!! :D

10. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

It seems normal at the club I train at... no idea why though. Even the full contact bouts that I have heard about that people from my club have fought in have been 1.5min. This is going slightly off topic but nevermind :).

How much of a difference do you think the length of the rounds are? Do you think 2 * 2min rounds would be 'better'?

11. slipthejab

Yes a 2 min. round would be better. At 1.5 minutes you're just starting to get into your skin. Part of the battle of a fight is the battle of conditioning... you want to show and prove that you're better conditioned to go the distance. The standard for amateur boxing is 2 min. To my mind it's the bare minimum for really having a go.

12. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Actually slip, amateur boxing only went to 2 min rounds to satisfy american television for the usa olympics for advertising between rounds!, its going back to 3 min rounds again, the way it should of been, at lower levels some will stay at 2 min rounds(kids etc..)

13. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Yeah, I would have thought the minimum would be 3 x 2min rounds... round one will be over before you know it and round two won't give you much time to exploit anything you might have picked up from round one :confused: ...which you probably won't have done because it was over so quickly!

14. Hiroji

Dude it really should only be 2 x 1.30min rounds if its a knockout tournament where you fight up to a dozen times?

Seems really strange to just have one bout with only 2x1.30 rounds??

Anyway, fitness shouldn’t be too much of a problem then! although, because of the severe shortness in rounds, expect that to contribute the fight being very explosive, and maybe a little bit scrappy in the end as you both don’t have much time to take the fight.

Anyway, whatever the rules all the best!

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm sure I did 2x 3 minute rounds. I can't quite remember! All the best though and report back!

16. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

I think it's 3 x 1.5min rounds not 2 rounds, sorry

17. Hiroji

Errrm...are you sure?...

haha get it!?!?!

18. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Ba boom *tsch*!

19. zenmonk

zenmonk Valued Member

Heh, remember to pick vid cam with you! :)

And remember... you can always:
    :Aegis: or :saz:

:p

Good luck with the fight. I'm sure it goes fine! :)

20. legkicker

legkicker Valued Member

Hi Errrm
    Youre fighting out of Ashby KO correct? And youre on the "warriors fight night " show in swadlincote , if so ill see you there!!!

This is what you should be doing. I'd say 3 sessions of kickboxing a week should be ideal but also re: Gym training:

Is there a treadmill in the gym? If so do interval running on it.
    My own instructor used to be self managed when he was fighting and he showed me all the same training methods he used to use. Now on the treadmill , first tip is

1.Keep your gumshield in , get used to running with a gumshiled in and keeping it in your mouth during the fight shouldnt be a problem.

2.Youre fighting rounds so run in rounds!!!
    Run for 2 mins with a minute walking interval and do that 5 times over.
    Once you are used to that build up to 2 mins with a 30 sec break
    then build up to 3 mins with a minute break
    the peak should be 3 mins with a 30 sec break.
    At the end of the 5 rounds, finish off with 5-10 mins hill jog at the highest incline on the treadmill.

Also do a bit of weights but dont get too much into really hardcore weights , youve got to make the agreed weight too.

See you at the show