First Interclub

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Unreal Combat, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Thanks Mitch, though I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the last statement regarding character.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Nice slip on the overhand right (1:56-1:57) - particularly given his range! Have the feeling you were throwing very lightly at times (like 10%), though he was going flat out.

Great footwork, head movement and goes without saying - ring control.

3. Unreal Combat

Yeah, as stated earlier, he was only 16 years old (and probably about 15 kg lighter than me too) so I didn't really want to power up on him. Think he was being spurred on a bit by the boxing crowd, and his family, which was probably why he was loading up a little, just getting a bit over excited (which I think is normal for young lads of that age haha) but I didn't mind it, really. I can take my fair share of punishment (I've had my fair share of beatings in my time of Full Contact Kickboxing sparring) so a few shots getting through really wouldn't bother me.

Thanks.

4. belltoller

3:11-3:13 - just one of many examples - you could have been sparring with your 8 year old there.

Many would've not taken that much care. Great self-control

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

Very nice man. How long you been training? you dont have any problems letting your hands go from the boxing standpoint. and in the muay thai video you threw a few Ok kicks you should let those rip a little more. I'd say for your first couple times sparring you looked pretty good. if i could leave on tip just work on your footwork a little and your head movement was pretty good to but some good pad rounds will improve it along with sparring but that was great man a pleasure to watch

6. B3astfrmthe3ast

and with your clinch work i assume from the videos you are vertically challenged like me so working with taller opponents on clinch work will help you with pummelling to get to better positions so when you have someone your height its not as difficult to get into a better position to strike or throw and itll help with controlling the neck and making your clinch very heavy but still AWESOME JOB MAN

7. Unreal Combat

Just over a year and a half in Full Contact Kickboxing (with a little K1 Rules Kickboxing and Muay Thai thrown in) and five weeks in "authentic" Muay Thai.

If you could be more specific in how you feel I could improve my footwork that would be great.

I'm 5'9". :D

Thanks for the feedback! :)

8. B3astfrmthe3ast

wow that is awesome i can tell you this for that amount of time you look very Clean
    with your foot work i mean like with your jab work on your lead step to make it one smooth motion and dont change the size of stance, rotate a little with your cross too it will make it longer and more effective and since your short like me use your footwork (angles to more specific) to get inside his reach and use heavy hooks and uppercuts and once again the rotation and your hips make those punches work very very well for us shorter guys and with general ring movement you want keep your base a consistent size so if he decides to attack you, you are always in postion to throw an effective punch.
    thats a quick overview but feel free to ask anything hope that helps

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Badass, man :)

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That and others. I thought you looked after the guy whilst making sure he got a proper bout.

Obviously I wasn't there but it looks like you made sure he had a bout without wrecking him when you had the opportunity because of his age.

I think that shows real character on your part, not everyone would have done the same. Kudos fella.

mitch

11. Unreal Combat

Thanks.

I'll try and take some of that into account while training in the future. Thank you.

Thanks man.

Thanks for clarifying, and thank you, Mitch.

12. B3astfrmthe3ast

yes very good man especially for only training a year and a half. cant wait to see more videos man keep em coming

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Finally got round to watching the vids - good job man dude! It's already been said but your restraint against the kid with the boxing really was admirable :)

14. Unreal Combat

Thanks guys!

This video is from the same Muay Thai bout. It's not as good quality but it is from a different angle so that you can see some of my hits better that the other video doesn't show as well, like the rushing cross, spinning hook kick, and two counter jabs right at the end.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWwmFVOHlVY"]Muay Thai 8 Interclub[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  15. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Well done UC,do you train with Derry? just when you said "authentic" Muay Thai it makes me think you do as Derry has a great background,The Interclub looked well controlled as they should be and you did great,as others have mentioned your composure and control were great as were your turns in the clinch,I would say stick to good scoring techniques of Muay Thai ie body kick/knee throws and dont waste energy on lots of combos etc as Im sure you know workrate isnt high on the scoring system of Thai Boxing,keep up the good work and please say Hi to Derry for me(I was due to corner one of his fighters Nico on sat but I was ill so couldnt make it):)

16. Unreal Combat

Yes mate. I train under Derry at Muay Thai 8. He is pretty strict on enforcing high quality Muay Thai when training (or "Sexy Muay Thai!" as he calls it, haha) though was fully understanding that I would fall back on hybridising Kickboxing technique in the Interclub when under pressure due to my massive inexperience in Muay Thai.

A great coach (and guy) for definite who knows his stuff and has experience, and connections, in Thailand as well.

Was a really well run Interclub. It was our clubs first hosting of an Interclub and I think everyone did really well on the day, some of us stepping up to compete a few times. Some really good quality bouts, a good turn out from spectators and clubs, and the support from the crowd was phenomenal at some points.

Thanks for your feedback.

17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Pleased to hear it is Derry and Im with you he is a good guy you have got yourself a good Kru,Iwill ask Derry when his next one is and perhaps bring some guys down,enjoy sexy Muay Thai UC:)

18. Unreal Combat

Thanks mate. Sent you a PM.

19. belltoller

Amasing how a different angle can seem like one is watching a different fight altogether.

Did you have some sort of Judo or other grappling/throwing background previous to MT and boxing? Obviously studied taekwondo, but I get the feeling you'd been happy to go for a suplex if the rule set allowed, lol.

You studied MT and boxing roughly at the same time, correct? Thought I saw you slipping into western boxing a time or two (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you)

Like the added effect of Sarama playing in the background - it should be louder though!

20. Unreal Combat

I've tried a little Taekwondo but nothing serious, was a very long time ago as well. The majority of my striking comes from Full Contact Kickboxing.

A little Jiu Jitsu (might of been Judo, whatever it was that Simon Proctor used to do) and Krav Maga was mixed in with my Ninjutsu, which I practiced for around 6 years, and we did practice a lot of ground fighting and takedowns, but I would say most of my grappling comes from practicing suplexes and other exotic wrestling moves on my friend in his back garden (and in the dojo). I am pretty decent at throwing and grappling naturally, it's an area I am quite comfortable with, something I've always been fairly good at whenever the scenario has required it to be applied.

I was very tempted to do a Kurt Angle style Belly to Belly Suplex at one point in that match (would have been dangerous though, and of course that's not the point of an Interclub, even if the bout does get a little rough at times) . If I did the Side Belly to Belly Suplex I don't think it would even be illegal (though someone will probably correct me on that, lol). :D

I studied Full Contact Kickboxing. At the same time there was another coach who would teach Muay Thai and K1 Rules Kickboxing when he was available. Was probably something like once a month as he went to his own place about two months after I joined the Kickboxing club. The coach of my old club was originally a Boxer who moved into Kickboxing.

Unfortunately there was a load of trouble with the old Kickboxing club (nothing to do with me, but I won't get into it all here) so I left all that behind and moved on into pure Muay Thai, which I have done for just five weeks.