First Full Contact Fight - Training

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by trej, Jul 14, 2005.

1. trej

trej New Member

Hi guys im new to this forum, ive been training kickboxing for about 3 years am currently purple belt.
    Ive got my first fight coming up at the end of august, question is how do you guys prepare for a fight?
    Just looking to compare my own training ideas, plan is to get as much running and sparring/pad work in as I can for the next few weeks.
    I also weightlift twice a week, should I reduce or stop this completely until after the fight? Id prefer not to stop completely and lose the strength ive built up.
    Cheers :)

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I'd start sleeping alot more. And up your intake of fat, thats good quality fat, not mc donalds.

That should give you some energy.

I'd just spar a hell of alot, get every one you know to go for a few bouts with you. Drill simple and devestating techniques into your mind.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

ive heard you shouldnt do any lifting for a week or two prior to the fight... cant remember where I heard that though :D

4. NaughtyKnight

I wouldnt know about the weight lifting. I have never had a full contact kickboxing fight.

You probably shouldn't lift though. It will drain energy that could be used for training and fighting.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

it's all about Anaerobic road work and interval training

I wouldn't be focusing on strength training too close to the big fight.

I would spend my energy and focus my training on my anaerobic capacity.

Just running isn't what you need (I am sure you know this and hopefully after 3 years your trainer will have hipped you to the anaerobic side of training)... you need to be running in correlation to how many round your going to fight.

When you step in there and start blasting you are pushing your anaerobic threshold not your aerobic threshold. So you want to be training how your fighting... and fighting is approx. 70-80% anaerobic. So running distances of more than 4-5 miles more than 2-3 days a week is not really going to help you specific to fighting.

If you want to run marathons - it may do something for you... but you want to be hitting the 100m wind sprints as such:

sprint 100m - job back to starting point - sprint 100m - jog back to starting point

and repeat this for a set of 10...

You can also try running for a three min. round... 1.5 min. as a fast jog and then 1.5 min as an all out sprint... really hammer. This mimics much of the way your lungs and body functions anaerobically in a fight.

If your going to fight and come away with wins then you're going to have to really familiarize yourself with interval training.

I suggest you check out the material on www.Rossboxing.com

(a no BS approach that is rock solid... worth every cent)

and one last thing to think about:

Roadwork is the first seperation of men and boys.

If you can't do your roadwork - you will go nowhere as a fighter.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  6. Venrix

Venrix Oooo... Shiny....

Hi Guys,

My advice: get as much REST as possible. If you must spar - then do with with MINIMAL contact. You DON'T want an injury (and it can easily happen) within 2 weeks of a fight.

Keep your heart rate up with lot's of pad and bag work (get someone to hold Thai pads for you) but DON'T fight if you can help it...

-V-

7. NaughtyKnight

Do tabata inteval training. Great for increasing both anerobic and aerobic levels.

Do a search on map if you dont know what they are, its complicted to explain.

8. Venrix

Venrix Oooo... Shiny....

I hope you don't mind my asking (this is NOT intended to by an inflamatory question).

If you are about to enter your first full conact fight, then surely your trainer has given you a training programme? It he/she not working with you in preperation for this fight?

Basically, I'm suprised to hear that you have been been forward for a FULL CONTACT fact yet are effectively training yourself! :confused:

Again, I really hope you don't mind the question.

-V-

9. trej

trej New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Its a fair question, basically its a kickboxing show held every year at the same place with usually a championship fight at the end. We train in class lots of padwork + sparring but weve always been told to do lots of running both long distance and interval training to up fitness for a fight. Our trainer is training us in the dojo but obviously we also need to do our own work outside of the class, also I should add there are usually quite a few fighters from our club so we dont always get one on one attention.

Im definately gonna start the interval training, v good point :)

10. Venrix

Venrix Oooo... Shiny....

That's a fair response! :) Good luck with the training and even better luck with the fight! :)

I've also just noticed that my dyslexia is getting worse. Damn! There are more errors in my last post then there are in the genetic code of the Duck-billed Platypus..! :bang: Maybe I should hire someone to type for me...

-V-

11. trej

trej New Member

Thankyou, just realised you are a welshman. Im a welshman too!

Ok interval training, what would be the best intervals to use to train for 4-5 2 min rounds?

12. Venrix

Venrix Oooo... Shiny....

Personally, I wouldn't bother switching your training this close to a fight. Also, the rounds are nice-n-short. I would think about doing 10 rounds of 3 minutes on the bag (or with pads). Maximum of four hand techs. allways followed by a leg tech.

E.g.:

jab, jab, low kick.
    left straight, right straight, liver kick
    left straight, right straight, left hook, spleen kick
    left, right, left, right, low kick.
    etc. etc.

Maximum of four hand shots, followed ALWAYS by a leg shot. This is far more than you are likely to need in your fight. Don't let up on yourself and do ALL strikes and kicks with FULL power. 10 rounds, 4xWeek (just 2 times in fight week - rest is more important).

Have fun mate. Let us know how it goes.

-V-

((Sudden thought: The most common mistake made before a first fight it actually overtraining not undertraining. If you feel that you are pushing too far - then SLOW DOWN but don't sit out.))

13. slipthejab

as someone else said in another thread...

'punches in bunches'... meaning free up those fists... not one two... but real combos..fast and loose.

the strategy of heavy with the hands and finish with a kick is a good standard one. Harder to remember than it sounds though when the adrenalin is coursing through your veins.

Train your interval training for 1-2 more rounds than you know you have to fight. You basically want gas in the tank in the last round. In fact you want to lay it on heavy in the last rounds.

Keep your opponent off his game plan, get off before he does and don't give him something for nothing... don't let him land a shot without automatically taking it out of his head in return. Force him to respect and fear you. Keep a stone face... don't wince, grimace or otherwise show emotion.. if he knows he's pushed your button because it's written all over your face... then he will continue... don't let that happen.

14. Venrix

Venrix Oooo... Shiny....

Hi Slip,

I'm not sure that's how I would do it in the ring. :) It just provides one hell of a heavy bag work out and prevents you from thinking too much when working out. The purpose is not to 'practise' combinations. Rather, to knacker yourself out. It's a conditioning thing - not a 'training' thing.

It's designed only to ensure CONSTANT movement and training throughout the entire 'round'. No time wasted with thinking 'what technique will I hit the bag with next?'

-V-

15. trej

trej New Member

Advice Much appreciated guys. Venrix I always make that mistake, thinking too much both when on the bag and when sparring, instaead of just throwing the techniques out.

16. slipthejab

I feel it works well on the bag and it works well in the ring.

Lots of guys tend to cover up too tight under a flurry of punches... if you can nail that 1/2 sec. blindness with a high kick... then that's where you wanna be.

It's worked for me (lol... take that with a grain of salt) and Ernesto Hoost seems to have make it a trademark. :D

17. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

When trainign for a fight, you should have a program for training.
    Trainign programme should include the following.

Running
    Bagwork
    Padwork= thai pads(power) and focus mitts for sharpness

Sparring

18. kickboxingidiot

Example of how to split trainign into components:

Keep switichign your different training compnents around to develop different areas.

Monday =
    Warm up= skipping Try 4x2mins coordination, stamina ,timing
    Shadow boxing = 3x2 mins = shadowbox with small hand weights (very small!)

Bagwork= 6x 2 mins on all the different bags.

Sparring= 6x2 mins sparring with different partners for skills and timing
    (open sparring ) = light to the head at all times , use headguards and gumshields.If kicking too use groin guards and shinpads.

Padwork: Focus mitts = 3x2 mins Boxing combinations mainly work on speed and explosiveness.
    Kick shield = 2x2mins .
    1st round roundhouse kicks only, 2nd round sidekicks, front kicks, back kicks.

Finish off with Abs work abdomianl exercises or push ups.
    Stretch off

19. Venrix

Venrix Oooo... Shiny....

I certainly wouldn't disagree with that. :D

-V-

20. kickboxingidiot

Tuesday AM= runnign for endurance possibly occasional sprinting intervals

PM= 3x2 min shadow boxing 6x2 mins bagwork
    Finsih with a weigths session (dont get too mcuh into the powerlifting side of htings youre doign this for strenght and to prevent injuries)

WEdnesday :

Normal warm up:
    skip/shadowbox
    Thaipads= 5x2mins (or 5x3 mins if you can handle it= train hard figth easy!)

Do the thaipads for power and powerful combos mainly.

Body sparring =6x2mins (essential for conditioning and power)

Open sparring = 3x2mins

Thursday = Hill sprints followed by hard exercises = push ups& Abdominals etc

Friday= Light technical session (doen in a geenral martial arts class format)
    focus mitts for combinations and light technical sparring work on counter attacks mainly when sparrign less expereinced students.
    Saturday Complete REST (dont be stupid!)

Sunday= mornign session (be differetn do a boxing session isntead of kick/thai)

Hope this helps