First Eskrima lesson!

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Had my first eskrima lesson tonight, or should that be last night with Bill Lowery of Laban Baston. Was a great lesson and really enjoyed it! Must admit I may have gotten the lad who was teaching me a bit stressed with my inability to co-ordinate in the basic hand to hand (non weapon drill) stuff he was showing me, but I think I did ok with the first basic six strikes and blocks. Then again I could be wrong and they were just being nice :)
    Cannot wait until next week and I get to learn more of those strikes! I was so excited when I got home I went and ordered some sticks from fleabay so I could practice at home!

2. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

You were no problem at all, hope to train with you again.

3. EmptyHandGuy

Thanks, looking forwards to next week! Hopefully my sticks will come friday so I can get a bit of practice in before hand.
    Just read your bio and your not doing the choi le fut at the moment, is that because your focusing on the Eskrima?
    On another note, I thought I recognised you from some where, have you been in the new year demos in the Newcastle Chinatown? Its been a good few years since I've been but I'm sure it was at one of them that I saw you?

4. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi Gornall

You will have recognised Alec from the Wanted posters in the local post office...;-)

Bill

5. EmptyHandGuy

I knew it was from somewhere! Now to claim my reward :)

I really enjoyed the class and have gotten one of my friends interested in coming along aswell. He's done a little karate with the chojinkai a few years back, well a lot of years back. He also did a few lessons of wing chun with me but didn't like it that much, that was with Paul Tennant of Moi Fa in Whitley Bay (where I'm originally from). I did some wing chun with Paul in the early 90's before going to uni, and with my friend to introduce him to the class before going to work on Teeside after finishing uni. He also comes along to my gym and does a little tai chi aswell.
    Just a quick question about the Sunday morning class, on your leaflet it says weather permitting, do we just turn up on a Sunday or do you announce it at the tuesday class?

6. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

Yes, I sometimes attend & help at the demo’s & lion dance at Newcastle’s Chinese New Year & yes again I’ve currently dropped the CLF to focus on the Eskrima training.
    I wont have that problem for much longer at the rate the Post Offices are being shut down.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. Wingchunman

Wingchunman New Member

What do you think about, other styles of kali?

8. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Classes and stuff

Hi Gornall, the Sunday class was set up after requests by a number of students, who then failed to turn up (in one case at all!), so its pretty much knocked on the head.

As the club numbers are picking up I may look at another class later in the week (Thursday for example).

Wingchunman, who was your question addressed to? I have looked at a number of other systems, and they all have something to give. Its good to try other systems as they can add to your own, as well as help you decide what direction you want to take your own training.

I've trained in systems where the instructor wasn't so good and so the material presented left a lot to be desired. For example, I've experienced Espada y Daga (sword and knife training) where the defence work was rediculously complicated. And I've trained with GM Cacoy Canete, whose EyD work was simplicity itself. And very effective.

I've trained with straigth Eskrima-Kali-Arnis people and I've trained with JKD people. Mick Shore from Doncaster (he is now the Rep for Larry Hartsell's system in the UK, does a great line in empty hand to EyD work. Check him out if you can.

Beyond that, you'd have to specify which ssytems you are interestd in/have trained in before I could give an opinion, assuming you want one of course!

Cheers

Bill

9. EmptyHandGuy

It would be great to be able to train more than once a week with other people! My sticks came today and have been practicing the strikes, well the first seven anyway!

10. Wingchunman

Wingchunman New Member

What about Guru Dan Insanto, what is your opion to the system he teaches?
    It was a sad day, to hear about Larry Hartsell. We did lose one of the, best known in the grappling world. Look forward to more talks about the Filipino systems with you.
    Take care!

11. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

GB and WCM

Hi GB,

I'll have a chat with everyone next Tuesday and see if a second class is viable.

Hi WCM,

My limited exposure to the Inosanto-Lacoste system is that it is a very comprehensive and well thought out, progressive system. The problems with it are mainly geographical, i.e. in the UK we only see Inosanto and his top people on seminars, and so distortion of material can happen.

For example; the Maphilindo Silat "system" was originally a method to teach concepts from the Silat systems of MAlaysia, PHILlipines and INDOnesia. It is now viewed as an authentic system of Silat! It may well have evolved as such, but that was not the original intent.

In the North East, say 15 years ago, there was one JKD instructor teaching under Bob Breen; Ian Andrews. Now there are a lot of people advertising themselves as JKD instructors who have never trained with any of the top people in the UK, let alone in the US. These people have "done" what Bruce Lee did - trained in a few different arts, and picked out some techniques. Of course thats not what Lee actually did (certainly not that simply) but that is often what is being passed off as Lees art.

If you can check the lineage of anyone teaching JKD, Inosanto-Lacoste Kali you should be seeing the big names in the UK somewhere along the line. Rick Young, Bob Breen, Terry Barnett etc

Anyone more questions, or any more specfic ones, drop us a line here. Sometimes, just sometimes, this forum can be friendly and instructive..;-)

Bill

12. Wingchunman

Wingchunman New Member

Hey there,
    In away, it's kinda sad, when some people break away, and start using and saying they're part of, a system. However, we have people like that, here in US. Maplindo, is a comprehinsive art. It's amazing, how a man, can absorb so much. Nevertheless, you are so right, that you should, see the top people teach what Guro Dan, has handed down. I'll check with my instructor, to see the linage in the U.K. Talk to you later my, friend.
    Tim

13. EmptyHandGuy

I didn't realize that there was a lot of JKD instructors in the NE. I knew of the one in Sunderland, but where are the others?

EDIT

Just found one in Durham, Mark Elliott who comes under Dave Carnell.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  14. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Mark Elliott

Hi GB,

I believe Mark now lives and teaches in Manchester. He was in Peterlee, but I don't know when he moved.

And there aren't a lot of JKD instructors in the NE. Just people suggesting/claiming to teach JKD!

Bill

15. EmptyHandGuy

Right! Now I get ya!

16. EmptyHandGuy

LabanB, I've been on youtube and have seen clips (and added them to my facebook page:) )of GM Danny Guba's teaching DVD's. Can I order them from you and how much are they if you have them?
    I've ordered this DVD already from eskrimador supplies.
    [​IMG]

Is this the same DVD that covers the grading syllabus or is that another DVD?

17. kok3n

kok3n New Member

is this auhored by GM Val Pableo? Can i have the link of the website where you ordered the dvd? Thanks!

18. EmptyHandGuy

The site is eskrimador Supplies

This is the blurb from the site for the DVD:

DOCE PARES 1 DVD

BASIC TECHNIQUES: By Grand Master Danny Guba & Master Percival 'Val' Pableo.

In this DVD you will learn the basic techniques of the Doce Pares Eskrima System. You will see the fundamentals and more such as the bowing, grips, stances, strikes, 12 angles of attack, twirling, blocks and disarms as well as empty hand drills.

19. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

DVDs

Hi GB,

The DVD's from Abanico are a bit out of date now, still usefull though.

The DVD's I sell are of seminars with the latest take on the material, and once you join the club you are allowed to buy the Forms dvd from me.

The prices range from £15-£25 depending on which DVDs you want (some are single, some doubles etc). I'll bring some along on Tuesday - you bring money, and lots of it..;-)

Also if you want the Abanico DVDs try www.dannyguba.co.uk, straight from the source as it were.

Bill

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  20. EmptyHandGuy

I tried that site but when I click on the shop icon, it opens but there is nothing on the page. It does say that the site is being updated so that could be the reason.
    I tried your site aswell but the links in the shop for items for sale are all broken :confused: