first BJJ competition

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by hewho, Oct 11, 2015.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

after several months of Traditional JJJ, and trying to get in open mat sessions with different groups once or twice a week, myself and a couple of other guys from the same JJJ club entered a BJJ tournament, just as a way of pressure testing what we're doing.
    This was my first competition, so there were some nerves, but even so, my performance was...BAD. I've been rolling with some good (as in regularly competing, and doing fairly well) blue belts, and people of varying styles at open mats, but stepping onto the mat to compete felt different. Like I'd forgotten how to Jitsu! couldn't get a takedown, and was choked out in 1 minute and 56 seconds. (video to follow shortly I hope).

Did I have fun? Yes, managed to chat to the people who won in my weight class, all nice lads.

Will I be competing again? Yes, but definitely need to work on, well everything really!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's all a learning process.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How well did the other TJJ people do?

4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

one guy won his first on points, then lost the second on points, and the second lost by two points, which was a take down they didn't class as a take down (ended outside the area, he actually hit the wall, they gave the points but didn't restart it on the floor) and all that happened for the next three minutes was them both stifling take down attempts

5. Dead_pool

http://ibjjf.org/rules/

Cool, yea you have to complete the takedown inside the area, it stops people driving off the mat into walls etc.

6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

yeah, it was the only 'take down' of that bout, so that caused a little bit of tension

7. Dead_pool

Did you have a standing gameplan?
    Even if your compitant at groundwork, you still have to get there from standing.

In BJJ comps, the rate limiting factor is how to, and how to stop the guard pull, so you have to layer 'takedowns' ontop of that.

Was it gi or nogi?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Hey, what do you learn in JJJ? I think here in Brazil JJJ is as rare as a rabbit with 6 legs and 3 eyes. xD
    @Topic: It's ok, it's your first competition tho. I remember mine, the second I stepped on the mat to compete I forgot everything I learned, even how to apply the kimura or an armlock. Just roll more with some partners and try to cool down before competitions.

9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Deadpool:
    It was gi :)
    my gameplan had been for for a sacrifice throw into a scarf hold, but the opponent defended my attempts for that and some sweeps, then took me down, not sure how, and that was pretty much all she wrote.

Kurama:
    strikes, standing locks (which are good fun, if not the first thing I'd rely on in a genuine competition or on da streeetz) and groundwork, at our club we do try and put an emphasis on pressure testing our groundwork in particular, although I can't tell you anything about other clubs. The option is there to learn weapons with him if we want to, but I'd rather concentrate on unarmed currently

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think you just got taught the hard way that JJJ and BJJ have moved a long way from their shared root. A great many JJJ and Judo players learned that lesson before you and many will learn the same lesson in the future. They are the kings of groundwork.

11. Dead_pool

What was your planned follow up once you hit your scarf hold?

12. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Profit??

13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

THAT is exactly why it's the best place for me to test what I know :) I might get beat every time for the next 10 years, but as long as I'm getting harder to beat, that's an improvement :) I could go to BJJ lessons, but the club I'm at now is a twenty minute walk away, and I really enjoy it. I'll keep rolling at open mats, and keep testing myself. It's all a game for me, as far as groundwork is concerned, and I'm going to keep playing.

Deadpool:
    just try and work transitions, and get the mat time in, go for kimura/americana/armbar/collar choke if they come up, but don't make it obvious that I'm hunting for them. didn't quite work that way though xD

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Fair enough and just understand that while you are rolling occasionally at open mats those BJJ guys you are competing against are training/drilling and rolling much more than you are.

In other words it's going to be very difficult for you to keep up with them and close that gap.

Oh and congrats on competing.

15. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Thanks :) that's alright with me, it might be that when I start getting older I'll phase out the sanshou and make BJJ my main meal, I've noticed people a lot older competing in BJJ than in sanshou. but for now, train and compete when I can, keep having fun, see what happens

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that's very laudable. and i completely respect the fact that you're trying to test yourself.

i just wonder and worry that it's going to be really difficult for you. competing against guys that regularly spar and compete would just make it really hard and might make you give up.

any chance you can do both regularly?

17. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I do JJ rolling twice a week, but can't make more than two open mats a week, and if this new client comes through, that's going to cut it down to one with my schedule, unless I find somewhere else that does them. I do get what you're saying though, it's going to be difficult to get to a high level with my groundwork

18. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Kudos for competing but I would work on your stand up (even consider a Judo or Wrestling class now and then) because having a sacrifice throw as your go to take down never ends well. I know from personal experience lol!

19. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

again kudos for giving it a go.

competition is a more intense beast. i train bjj, and i feel like i have to go 4x per week minimum just so i feel competition ready.

there's nothing wrong with sticking with open mats to pressure-test what you're doing, for now. if you're still interested in competing in bjj, i would say start taking bjj.

20. hewho

hewho Valued Member

it's more a time thing than anything else really, if I had enough money not to work, and train full time, I'd be everywhere, pay my instructors to be there full time and open up a proper fighters gym. As it is, like the majority of people, I have work, and the occasional social event (gotta see the lady friend now and then! :) ) so it's gonna have to stay how it is unfortunately. might try the Hereford open, at least I'll get more than one fight, and it's all mat time in the end :)

*EDIT* for clarity: I am agreeing with you, but it's not a priority

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015